Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-16-2015, 10:20 PM   #641
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The standalone is probably downloaded now, not shipped on physical media.

Only difference is the CC version checked your current subscription status before launching.

Until now that is.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2015, 08:06 AM   #642
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Just downloaded Lightroom CC (2015) edition. They added a dehaze feature and white/black local adjustments. However this is NOT available in Lightroom 6.1 (non-cloud):
But it is available to Photoshop CS6: Adobe Camera Raw 9.1 adds Dehaze feature and improves X-Trans support: Digital Photography Review

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:17 AM   #643

Adobe issued reduced outlook and ADBE is down in early trading.

Karma or was it the dim forecasts that drove this move?
Old 06-17-2015, 10:11 AM   #644
Give me a forum ...

As always, Laura Shoe does a great job of explaining how Lightroom works:
This video did point out something I hadn't thought of ... that the stand-alone version of LR not being upgraded is, actually, the normal SOP... the one we have been accustomed to for years. Remember, they told us that one of the advantages of the CC version would be instant updates.

Now, whether Adobe puts these new features in the next (v7) release is another question (or even if there will be a stand-alone v7) that only the future can answer.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:36 AM   #645
Give me a forum ...

Old 06-17-2015, 02:13 PM   #646

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Just looks like clarity to me - local contrast - which can be applied to distance features only, if desired, by using a mask.
Similar, yes, but (to my eye anyway) it looks like a different effect. In some instances perhaps a distinction without a difference.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:31 PM   #647
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Similar, yes, but (to my eye anyway) it looks like a different effect. In some instances perhaps a distinction without a difference.
Or as always been said: There are a cagillion ways to do the same thing in Photoshop... some ways are just easier than others.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:47 AM   #648
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
As always, Laura Shoe does a great job of explaining how Lightroom works:
This video did point out something I hadn't thought of ... that the stand-alone version of LR not being upgraded is, actually, the normal SOP... the one we have been accustomed to for years. Remember, they told us that one of the advantages of the CC version would be instant updates.

Now, whether Adobe puts these new features in the next (v7) release is another question (or even if there will be a stand-alone v7) that only the future can answer.
Right - I'd wouldn't expect the new feature until paying for the next major upgrade. They've gotta give the subscription folks something between upgrades.

Interesting about camera raw upgrade for CS6 though - I might have to check that out, just to see.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:50 AM   #649
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well from the examples I couldn't see anything other than manipulating contrast - both local and global, and maybe in some selected "low-contrast" areas. But unless I try to do it myself, I won't know.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:33 AM   #650

Turns out some clever fellow figured out that the lightroom 6.1 engine will still process dehaze commands -- they just removed the slider from the UI. You can access it by making a preset and editing the text file: Dehaze in Lightroom 6.1: PC Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review (I have NOT verified this works)
Old 06-18-2015, 10:13 AM   #651

Pic of my Gear Bag

Went on a hike yesterday in Rocky Mountain NP to take a few pictures of wildflowers (not my usual subject). When I got back I took a picture of my gear bag. Everything is stuffed into a lowe-pro mini-trekker classic (do they even make this bag anymore?). I love seeing pictures of people's setup so I thought I'd share mine.

Not shown in the picture is a jacket, food, water which I carried as well.

For urban travel I have a completely different bag and lens setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my-gear.jpg (196.3 KB, 19 views)
Old 06-18-2015, 12:05 PM   #652
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Everything is stuffed into a lowe-pro mini-trekker classic (do they even make this bag anymore?).
My only Camera Bag for the past ten years has been a Lowepro Rolling Mini-Trekker AW. (pictured here) I am amazed at how much one can stuff into it. It is on wheels with a pull-out handle, is a backpack, AND, most importantly, it fits in the overhead bin -- even with the new reduced size requirements.

Unfortunately, I cannot find it on Lowepro's website so I suspect it is no longer being made. That's too bad.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:10 PM   #653

Most of the time I don't carry a tripod or an additional lens, though my Kata Sling is advertised as being able to carry additional lenses.

I also have a messenger bag with mostly non photo gear, like my iPad, snacks, water bottle, maps.

Even without additional lenses or tripod, after a long day, I feel the weight.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:22 PM   #654

I have this one, but have been thinking about one with rollers and pull-out handle as mine is now stuffed and a bit heavy to lug around. I wouldn't even think of going on a hike with it unless I unloaded it substantially.

Amazon.com : Tamrac 5456 Mirage 6 Photo/Tablet Backpack (Black/Gray) : Electronics
Old 06-18-2015, 05:05 PM   #655

Nice backpacks - I have a small Lowepro 16L AW that is perfect for hiking and light loads for travel. Fits my camera, a couple of lenses, iPad. But as I got more stuff, I needed something bigger. So I got the Lowepro ProRunner 450 AW. It is huge, and takes everything I have when I go to Arizona for extended periods, to include iPad, laptop, and my go pro stuff. Great backpack, very heavy when full - I wouldn't want to hike with it.

Now I'm going on 3 day trip where I'm going to pack my small Lowepro with camera gear in a carry on. Then use it while hiking. It doesn't have enough room for 3 days of clothes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2320.jpg (581.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-19-2015, 08:18 AM   #656

Quote:
I wouldn't even think of going on a hike with it unless I unloaded it substantially.
I should probably lighten up my pack -- lighter gear and fewer lenses. I think my ego is stopping me though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
So I got the Lowepro ProRunner 450 AW. It is huge, and takes everything I have when I go to Arizona for extended periods, to include iPad, laptop, and my go pro stuff. Great backpack, very heavy when full - I wouldn't want to hike with it.
Looks like a nice pack. What's the long lens in the middle?

I have a larger Kiboko 30L pack that I use for storing my stuff and moving. But yeah it's way to heavy & big for hiking.

The main thing I dislike about the Mini Trekker classic is there's no water bottle holder and limited room for regular gear.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:57 AM   #657
Give me a forum ...

With my wide angle setup, I very rarely carry a lot of gear now. I only need to carry two or three lenses and a tripod. The SlingShot 202 AW works quite well for me in the US. Overseas I use a small bag (Lowepro Rezo 170 AW) and only carry one lens, no tripod. I can get a second lens in that bag if I really want to.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:35 PM   #658

Quote:
I should probably lighten up my pack -- lighter gear and fewer lenses. I think my ego is stopping me though

Looks like a nice pack. What's the long lens in the middle?

I have a larger Kiboko 30L pack that I use for storing my stuff and moving. But yeah it's way to heavy & big for hiking.

The main thing I dislike about the Mini Trekker classic is there's no water bottle holder and limited room for regular gear.
The long lens is a Tamron 150-600. Great lens, but not a lens to hike with. Really adds a lot to the weight. I think the pack is around 50lbs fully loaded.

I feel your pain on the lack of bottle holder and limited room on your Mini Trekker. My smaller pack 16L AW has a water bottle holder, but very little room for regular gear.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:51 AM   #659
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
The long lens is a Tamron 150-600. Great lens, but not a lens to hike with.
Yes, this lens weighs only ~five pounds. But I can tell you it doesn't take long for it to seem like fifty pounds. Particularly if you are also lugging along a monopod (or, worse yet, a tripod) and the (almost) mandatory gimbal.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:43 AM   #660
Moderator Emeritus

Since Apple recently stopped supporting Aperture, I decided to give Adobe Lightroom CC a try. So far I like it. I like the new dehaze tool.

Tags
hogan mirrorless