Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-10-2014, 05:11 PM   #221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronboyd View Post
what model printer?
hp z3200

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2014, 05:17 PM   #222
Give me a forum ...

Okay, I was hoping to save some time -- I won't be able to respond for a couple days.

I have an Epson Printer (SP3880) so I can only speak to Epson (and compatible) paper.

I have used the Epson Water Color paper found here at the Atlantic Exchange (I guess they call themselves Atlex now). I found it to be excellent in every sense of the word. It, in fact, exceeded my expectations

I have not tried the comparable paper from Red River Paper. However, I find their paper to match very closely to Epson paper at a substantially reduced price. They call their paper Aurora Fine Art.

I am unsure why you are asking so I hope this has been somewhat useful. (FWIW, I order, at least, monthly from both companies
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:01 PM   #223
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Had a productive day. Figured out how to get rid of that greenish cast in the photos taken by the D800. Also, pulled out my Epson 2200 and had enough ink in the ancient cartridges to get it and running; although the magenta cartridge wouldn't print, even though it was mostly full. Probably dried, and the cleaning routine didn't get it going. Replaced the cartridge and it worked. Have to order more, as the light magenta ran out and I have no replacement. The colors were close, though the monitor and printer both need calibration. Have to find my old Spyder calibration unit. It's somewhere. Wouldn't have thrown it out...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-18-2014, 07:49 PM   #224

There's a great store in Columbus Ohio called the Columbus Camera Group. I frequented the place a lot in the 80s as a place to get good functioning, used, pro equipment. They bought huge lots at a time, and one of their great strengths was the critically assessed everything, rated it, told you it's strengths and weaknesses, and placed good prices on the items. Much of the equipment I still use was purchased there.

Well, hadn't been for about 15 years or more, and went by today for fun. Still there, in the old church they'd bought who knows when. Still tons of equipment catalogued and on display. Found a Sigma 28-70 2.8 df ex lens - clear glass but some small shiny spots on the barrel - and got it for $225. Sharp and fast - one of Sigmas best lenses. Also a camera backpack that looks new for $30. Holds everything. The owner and I spent a few minutes talking about the past, and he inquired about all my equipment. I suggested he talk to my wife after I was gone. He laughed and suggested I have it all buried with me. DW suggested she just might bury me with before I was even deceased lol.

A good place to go and rummage through. Tell them what you want and they'll find it right off the bat.

Just like old times...

Old 08-19-2014, 11:48 AM   #225
Moderator Emeritus

Anyone have a go pro? DW ordered one for me last week - should be here today.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #226
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Yes.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:59 PM   #227

No, but it 's been on my "wish list" for a long time. Trouble is, other than putting it on my motorcycle I can't think of much else I'd do with it.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:20 PM   #228

Did exposure testing on that old Sigma lens I picked up, and it just became favorite lens. Ever.

It runs about 1 stop against light meters - exactly where I like it. Most lenses, if I center the in camera meter, still lose highlights, and I end up closing the aperture about 1 stop. This one does not burn out highlight. Using my handheld ambient meter, I have to dial in about a 1 stop over exposure to get the histogram where I want it. Lol

The lens is tack sharp. I snuck a photo of my wife last night, in low light, reading a book. I was about 15' away, 28mm focal length, on camera flash ... I can read the book on the cameras LCD display. No post production sharpening necessary. Sharpening actually made the reading more difficult.

A big plus is my adjustable lens hood/ filter and gel holder fits the threads. This just became my go to studio lens.

Never thought I'd be using third party glass on my Nikon's. Now I have two fast glass Sigmas. Never say, "Never."

Old 08-19-2014, 03:03 PM   #229
Moderator Emeritus

The Go Pro is on my wish list. I'd like to use it to film some scenic drives and hikes. But there is no room in the budget for it this year.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:25 PM   #230
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Okay, all kidding aside. We purchased the GoPro HeroPlus+3 Black Edition (GoPro Official Website: The World's Most Versatile Camera) a year or so ago because there were a large number of times on our RV travels where the view was simply overwhelming. As you might imagine, Murphy's Law states there is no place to pull over and take picture at those times. While we are much too old to be scheduling Sky Dives and will probably not be skiing down the sheer face of a cliff in the immediate future, the purchase seemed prudent.

However, after it was delivered, it was not as easy to use as a "Dash Cam" as one would think.

So... a little research delivered me to a "real" Dash Cam, the DOD LS430W: Comparing the LS300W, LS330W, LS400W, LS430W, GT300W, and GT550WS

(Promotional Video - https://www.youtube.com/embed/d2pz58...utoplay=1&hd=1)

So now, the GoPro is primarily used to take video out the side windows as we travel.

Nevertheless, I am glad we bought it -- it has been quite handy several times outside of the RV use -- but it just wasn't that useful for what it was originally intended.

My opinion: A wonderful invention but know why you "need" it and fully research that use before committing.

As an aside, both cameras take 1080P video at all the standard frame rates. Therefore, one can (with, for instance, Photoshop) extract individual frames and process (develop) them into quite acceptable stills.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:02 PM   #231
Give me a forum ...

I said I'd look into it some day but found out employees at my company gets 40% discount.

So I got 2.5 weeks to take advantage before I leave.

Good deal but supposedly Go Pro 4 is due in Sept. or October with much greater capabilities.

But 40% may be hard to ignore. The top of the line 3+ Black Edition doesn't appear to be discounted anywhere so it must be in high demand.

I have no specific ideas on what to use for it, other than it's waterproof and I can have it on my person all the time, maybe mount it on the dash.

I agree there are times when I wish I'd have been filming while driving in some places.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:08 PM   #232

You probably seen it but if not take a look at Davemartin88's post here about using a CNC router to carve a bias relief image of a photo into a block of solid material. While I'm sure it's expensive it sure is intriguing.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:22 PM   #233
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I said I'd look into it some day but found out employees at my company gets 40% discount.

So I got 2.5 weeks to take advantage before I leave.

Good deal but supposedly Go Pro 4 is due in Sept. or October with much greater capabilities.

But 40% may be hard to ignore. The top of the line 3+ Black Edition doesn't appear to be discounted anywhere so it must be in high demand.

I have no specific ideas on what to use for it, other than it's waterproof and I can have it on my person all the time, maybe mount it on the dash.

I agree there are times when I wish I'd have been filming while driving in some places.
Don't worry about not keeping up with technology... that's not gonna happen despite your best intentions anyway. No matter when you buy electronics it will be obsolete a minute or so later.

The reason that the GoPro is not a substitute for a dash cam is the short battery life and the need to be manually started and stopped. The GoPro's battery will take a video for less than an hour but that isn't much of a problem because that is normally longer than the storage space anyway.. The true Dash Cam (like or LS430W) is connected directly to the car battery and will take 5 minutes segments for about 24 hours before filling the card... and even then it just overwrites the eldest segment. It will also automatically turn on in the event of a collision while parked.

But don't get me wrong, a GoPro is one of those "must haves" if you are into photography in even the slightest.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:22 PM   #234
Moderator Emeritus

Saw Davemartin88's CNC router image - amazing. I always wanted a CNC for woodworking. Never thought it could be used in photography. The cost of that CNC is most likely way out of my league. I've been looking at a couple at Rockler - 3-4k.

Got the go pro. A Hero3+black edition. Got a $100 dollar off coupon at the Oshkosh air show by filling out a questionnaire at their booth. DW is out searching for a micro sd card. I'm going to start off doing videos of kayak, boat, and bike rides, hikes and scenic car trips and expand from there.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:39 PM   #235
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Don't worry about not keeping up with technology... that's not gonna happen despite your best intentions anyway. No matter when you buy electronics it will be obsolete a minute or so later.

The reason that the GoPro is not a substitute for a dash cam is the short battery life and the need to be manually started and stopped. The GoPro's battery will take a video for less than an hour but that isn't much of a problem because that is normally longer than the storage space anyway.. The true Dash Cam (like or LS430W) is connected directly to the car battery and will take 5 minutes segments for about 24 hours before filling the card... and even then it just overwrites the eldest segment. It will also automatically turn on in the event of a collision while parked.

But don't get me wrong, a GoPro is one of those "must haves" if you are into photography in even the slightest.
But presumably the picture and video quality of the GoPro is superior to a dash cam?

I may also look into a drone at some point, though you hear about those things crashing at various places so maybe you don't want to have the fanciest kit attached to it.

Looks like a lot of people are mounting on the exterior of the car and tethering the camera in case the suction cup mount flies off. Obviously it would be better to mount outside but I'd like to be able to just have it on the dash somehow.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:46 PM   #236
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But presumably the picture and video quality of the GoPro is superior to a dash cam?
Actually the quality is the same. The video from either camera compares favorably to the produced by my Canon 7D (the camera used to film the last three "House" episodes. On a large screen TV, the video is as good as any professional film.
Quote:
I may also look into a drone at some point, though you hear about those things crashing at various places so maybe you don't want to have the fanciest kit attached to it..
Yeah, I was "almost persuaded" also. But after thinking it over, that was a lot more "work" than I wanted involved in. Not to mention the expense.

Quote:
Looks like a lot of people are mounting on the exterior of the car and tethering the camera in case the suction cup mount flies off. Obviously it would be better to mount outside but I'd like to be able to just have it on the dash somehow.
Okay, let me try again. The DashCam is on and recording whenever to ignition switch is on. The Gopro has to manually started. The DashCam rums off the vehicle's generator (battery) while the GoPro has a rechargeable battery. The DashCam can record up to 24 hours of video while the GoPro is limited by battery capacity and SD Card capacity -- at most one hour.

(I am trying to figure out how to put a sample video in this post but I guess I'll have to do it separately.)
Old 08-19-2014, 06:52 PM   #237
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here is the video sample:

Okay, I give up. I don't know how to attach a .MOV file to a post.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:46 PM   #238
Give me a forum ...

Might not be one of the file types supported.

I'll take your word that the quality is as good as the GoPro, though I believe the GoPro is more action oriented so it can do really high FPS.

I understand the advantages but of course Go Pro can be used outside the car as well, including apparently underwater.

The LS430W costs less than the Hero3+ Black but again, if I can get this 40% discount, then it's another story -- kind of indicates to you what kind of crazy margins they have and why their stock price is up.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:23 PM   #239
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Might not be one of the file types supported.

I'll take your word that the quality is as good as the GoPro, though I believe the GoPro is more action oriented so it can do really high FPS.

I understand the advantages but of course Go Pro can be used outside the car as well, including apparently underwater.

The LS430W costs less than the Hero3+ Black but again, if I can get this 40% discount, then it's another story -- kind of indicates to you what kind of crazy margins they have and why their stock price is up.
Oh! I am not arguing for either one. They both have very similar specs -- frame rate options, for instance. I am happy with them both and I agree they each fill a different and special niche in photography with quite a bit of overlap.
Photographer's Corner - equipment
Old 08-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #240

Photographer's Corner - equipment

RonBoyd

Put the file on youtube then place a link to it here.

http://youtu.be/2ecpgOTUPjw

Used a $100 Kodak waterproof HD 1080 p camera.

Tags
hogan mirrorless