Photographer's Corner - equipment

Disadvantages of the mirrorless are smaller lens selection (but I don't buy a lot of them so not really an issue), and shorter battery life.
Native mount lens selection varies by mount. Sony has the fewest. Micro four thirds (m43) has enough to satisfy most people except those who want high quality f2.8 zooms (some are available, more have been announced). Here are the currently available focal lengths (in FF equivalent):
Primes 16, 24, 28, 30, 34 (2), 35, 38, 40 (2), 50 (4), 60, 85 (2), 90, 120, 150, 600
Macro 90, 120
Wide Zoom 14-28, 18-36
Tele Zoom 70-200, 80-150, 90-150, 90-350, 90-400, 150-600, 200-600
Std Zooms ~24/28 to ~84/100 (many), 28-280, 28-300 (2)

Four thirds (4/3) lenses with adapters work with auto exposure and auto focus on m43 cameras. Olympus didn't sell many 4/3 cameras so few know about their pro quality glass.

Finally the video only camera makers and video optimized lens makers embraced m43. Everything is manual focus. About 20 prime lenses with FL between 15 and 100mm.

What are people using for printers?

Was looking to get the cheapest but the range goes up, if you want bigger prints.

"Want a printer" is such a broad category as to be unanswerable without more specific detail.

I use a 7-year old Canon iP6700D that cost about $50 as my primary printer -- it goes through a case of paper ever six weeks or so. (We also have three Canon "All-In-Ones.") This printer, actually, does a fairly decent job of printing photographic images although I rarely (maybe twice in the past year) do that.

I do, however, have an Epson SP3880 (Epson Professional 17 inch Compact Desktop Printer | Epson Stylus Pro 3880) that last year ate about $1,100 worth of photo paper.

Anyway, today only, Amazon has a pretty good deal on a Canon 3-in-1. Amazon.com: Canon PIXMA MX472 Wireless All-In-One Inkjet Printer: Electronics

I am also intrigued by the new Canon printers that have NFC technology -- that is what allows two smart phones to transfer data by simply putting the backs of the phones together.

Anyway, too big a subject for me.

Native mount lens selection varies by mount. Sony has the fewest. Micro four thirds (m43) has enough to satisfy most people except those who want high quality f2.8 zooms (some are available, more have been announced). Here are the currently available focal lengths (in FF equivalent):
Primes 16, 24, 28, 30, 34 (2), 35, 38, 40 (2), 50 (4), 60, 85 (2), 90, 120, 150, 600
Macro 90, 120
Wide Zoom 14-28, 18-36
Tele Zoom 70-200, 80-150, 90-150, 90-350, 90-400, 150-600, 200-600
Std Zooms ~24/28 to ~84/100 (many), 28-280, 28-300 (2)

Four thirds (4/3) lenses with adapters work with auto exposure and auto focus on m43 cameras. Olympus didn't sell many 4/3 cameras so few know about their pro quality glass.

Finally the video only camera makers and video optimized lens makers embraced m43. Everything is manual focus. About 20 prime lenses with FL between 15 and 100mm.

One of the reasons I went with Sony is that I like doing astrophotography and wanted the better high ISO capabilities by sticking with an APS-C sensor, and the NEX series really isn't any bigger than the micro 4/3 cameras. But I really like the m4/3 cameras as well.

What are people using for printers?

We have two, one is a Dell 1235cn color laser that we bought when DW was going to school and doing a LOT of printing school papers. Works fine for that and any routine correspondence although that is mostly E-mail now. Worthless for photos but it wasn't intended for that.

The other is a Canon Pixma Pro 100 for photos. Uses eight inks, does gallery-quality but is slow since it is an entry-level professional level photo printer. Max print size is 13x19 and all that did was make me want an Epson 3880 for 16x20 size prints.:LOL: That will probably happen eventually.

I have an HP photosmart, but I haven't printed to it in a year or 2. I have probably spent $200 in print cartridges for this thing and I refuse to buy any more. Whenever I need something printed, I go to my former office and print it there.

I get my larger photo prints ((8x10) (9x12) done at prolabexpress ProlabExpress and I get 5x7 at Walgreens

We have two, one is a Dell 1235cn color laser that we bought when DW was going to school and doing a LOT of printing school papers. Works fine for that and any routine correspondence although that is mostly E-mail now. Worthless for photos but it wasn't intended for that.

The other is a Canon Pixma Pro 100 for photos. Uses eight inks, does gallery-quality but is slow since it is an entry-level professional level photo printer. Max print size is 13x19 and all that did was make me want an Epson 3880 for 16x20 size prints.:LOL: That will probably happen eventually.

There's a $300 rebate right now, making it $100:

Canon PIXMA PRO-100 Professional Photo Inkjet Printer 6228B002

Intrigued but I would probably utilize the scanner/copier more than printing higher-quality photos.

I initially want to play around with printing photos a bit. If I get serious, I'd have to calibrate and so on.

13X19 is just about big enough to frame. Legal probably wouldn't be big enough unless you're printing some kind of a pano.

Take advantage of all that the GoPro HERO has to offer: learn how to get unique, interesting angles for your shoots when working with a car in this tutorial.

How to Attach a Camera to a Car:

Take advantage of all that the GoPro HERO has to offer: learn how to get unique, interesting angles for your shoots when working with a car in this tutorial.

How to Attach a Camera to a Car:

Thanks a lot for posting! Now I know how to run safety lines to an outside car mount.

I'm going to pick up a Brother J870DW MFC at Office Depot, where it is $50 off to $100 through today.

They also have an in-store $10 off $50 coupon on officedepot.com.

Gets good reviews overall for speed and value. Epson Expressions XP-810 gets good reviews for photo output but it's $130 and reportedly uses up ink more.

Seems like the Brother would be good for playing around with printing and scanning photos.

Terrific! Now make it in a higher resolution. 360P is too small. Of course, it saves disk space but 1080P (or even 720P) is the way to go.

BTW, here is really good primer for videography:

Digital Photographer's Complete Guide to HD Video: Rob Sheppard, Michael Guncheon: 9781600596995: Amazon.com: Books

Thanks for the link. This video was just a test. Thought I'd start small (like a tree frog) and make sure I could upload it ok. I did do a video of me riding around the block on my bike in 1080p. It's 557mb. I didn't upload that one to youtube.

Last edited:
Ronstar,

Mike Wendland, "A Journalist takes up the RV lifestyle" (Roadtreking | Discovering the Roadtrek Class B RV Lifestyle), uses his GoPro from the front seat of his Roadtrek. Here is a recent shoot in Glacier NP:

You can tell it was all taken hand-held. (I am not so sure about the driver holding the camera out the window on that narrow road.) and there was more than one photographer. So, obviously, there was a lot of editing.

However, I don't see any evidence of processing (I would have added greater exposure and tweaked the highlights and shadows as well as the "Presence" (clarity and vibrance) before publishing but that's just me.)

All in all though, this is what the GoPro is good at. At least, this is how we use ours... the driver, however, is never distracted by something as trivial as taking pictures -- might as well be Texting.

RonBoyd - thanks for the add'l info. I'm practicing for something similar to the Roadtreking video. I like the floating hand grip - you're right - I'm starting to see that the cost of the GoPro pales in comparison to all option - and yes all the options are necessary.

Observed a young man the other day, had a GoPro on the end of of an extending pole, and was controlling the camera with his smart phone. He was getting some shots inside the cockpit of an old plane, which the normal,photographers could not see .. Just a thought for you.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I like the pole mount idea. I have a painter's pole and a surveyor's rod I can experiment with.

Shot the hummingbirds this morning

Here's the setup

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 9.57.37 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 9.57.37 AM.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 7
Yeah I'm thinking about drone.

Maybe next year they'll have more drone choices.

One thing to attach a Go Pro which will likely have better PQ than the one that comes with the Phantom. But if that drone crashes (there have been stories about drones getting stuck in trees or going down into hot springs at national parks, where they're prohibited), better to not lose the GoPro maybe.

Drones are quickly becoming regulated because of perceived safety and privacy issues - might want to check recent laws in your area before coughing up the bucks.

Sorry to not be monitoring this too closely, we are "on the road" (tonight in Des Moines. Iowa on the way -- eventually -- to International Falls, Minnesota).

FWIW, everyone I know of (except those that use them professionally) have kinda left them sitting on the shelf. I don't know why but the "thrill" seems to wear off pretty quickly so I would give it a couple weeks before taking the plunge if it were me.

Back
Top Bottom