Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-05-2015, 02:44 PM   #481
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am not an Apple user but I'm guessing that Adobe Photoshop Lightroom has set a pretty high hurdle. This is not going to be an easy sell for Apple.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2015, 03:35 PM   #482
Give me a forum ...

Photos is a basic product. Not really for DSLRs, though it supports Apple's RAW processor.

I think it's more for photo libraries captured with iPhones and shared on iCloud.

It would make more sense if it supported alternate media types like the time-lapse and slow-mo videos that iPhones now can capture.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:34 PM   #483
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have no plans to switch my main library over from lightroom although I might use it for my personal snaps of friends/family. I was just wondering if there was anything people found interesting about Photos.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:05 PM   #484

Yep it sure could be....and by George it is😄 so far great pics. Really like the wifi to ipad.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:55 AM   #485
Give me a forum ...

An argument for software updates:

Quote:
In honor of the 25th anniversary of Adobe Photoshop, CreativeLive asked 8 Photoshop experts to try their hand at Photoshop 1.0.

Big thanks to Dave Cross, Jared Platt, Ben Willmore, Chris Orwig, Julieanne Kost, Aaron Nace, Tim Grey, Matt Kloskowski, and Jason Hoppe!
Old 03-13-2015, 05:21 PM   #486

Yup, that is a good argument for software updates!
Old 03-15-2015, 07:53 AM   #487
Give me a forum ...

Handy Website Lets You Check Amazon Prices Around The World For Better Deals On Photo Gear

Quote:
Okay, you technically can search for the price of any Amazon product, not just photo gear. So, should you feel compelled to see if you can find better price on toilet paper by having it shipped to you from a foreign country, I suppose you are free to do so, but we’re just going to stick to the fun stuff for now, you know, like cameras and lenses.

I noticed a post on Facebook recently by a UK based photographer who was able to save Ģ75 on a Sony A6000. Had he purchased the camera from Amazon.co.uk it would have cost him Ģ449. After he did a little investigating, he discovered he could purchase the same camera for Ģ374 by ordering it from Amazon.de and taking advantage of Amazon’s free shipping. Depending on what product you’re looking at and where you are located in the world, you could find savings well into the hundred’s of dollars using the same method of researching all of the different Amazon sites.

This is where the Amazon Global Product Price Check comes in. All you have to do is cruise around the Amazon site you would normally use in your location, once you have found what you’re looking for, copy the ASIN number and paste it into the Global Price Check tool.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:10 AM   #488
Give me a forum ...

Would you import photo gear?

There are sellers of gray market goods. You can save hundreds but is it worth not being able to repair through the official distributor?
Old 03-15-2015, 02:52 PM   #489

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
There are sellers of gray market goods. You can save hundreds but is it worth not being able to repair through the official distributor?
That was my first thought too. Maybe for cheaper stuff but then the savings aren't worth the hassle of not being able to do a simple return.

For something the price of a new DSLR or high-end lens, no way.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:05 PM   #490
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Would you import photo gear?

My suggestion would be to do your due diligence -- for instance, check the Return policy of the particular Amazon entity prior to committing. This for, for example, is the Amazon.com policy:

Quote:
Amazon.com Return Policy

Items shipped from Amazon.com, including Warehouse Deals, can be returned within 30 days of receipt of shipment in most cases. Some products have different policies or requirements associated with them.

Seller Return Policy

When you order from a seller that fulfills and ships its own inventory (also called a third party seller), your return will be sent back to the seller instead of Amazon.com. While most sellers offer a returns policy equivalent to Amazon.com's, some seller returns policies may vary. After you select your order in the Online Returns CenterOnline Returns Center (https://www.amazon.com/returns), you can view the seller's return policy. Third party sellers must either provide a return address within the United States or pay for return shipping to an international address. If a seller does not provide a return address in the United States or free return shipping to an international address, you may file an A-to-z Guarantee claim to seek help with your return. If the order is valued at $100 or more, insure the shipment for the value of the merchandise and ship your return with a signature shipping service. Items valued at over $75 must be returned to the seller with a trackable shipping service. For items below $75, we suggest USPS delivery confirmation service. If a package doesn't arrive and you don't use a trackable method to return or if you refuse the shipment as a method of return, we may not be able to cover you under the A-to-Z Guarantee.
Amazon has always been very good to me in this area. I will, however, admit that I have very limited experience with out-of-country purchases (albeit a few).
Old 03-15-2015, 04:08 PM   #491
Give me a forum ...

Well these sellers of gray market good would be offering store warranty. So the question is how long the store will be in business.

The one example I see is Abe's of Maine, which I remember from long time ago, before the web, when they advertised in the back of photography magazines, like 47th Street Photo used to.

The savings do make it tempting but these days, you see new cameras having to be repaired for this or that issue.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:14 PM   #492
Give me a forum ...

Explanade, I fully support your position. I was just saying that that you shouldn't let a few bad guys ruin your day. In other words, I kinda trust Amazon to police the market... they have too much to lose. But I agree; bottom line is we, as individuals, bear the responsibility and risk involved in pursuing these savings. (I guess that describes every other transaction we may make, domestic or otherwise.)
Old 03-16-2015, 12:25 AM   #493

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Handy Website Lets You Check Amazon Prices Around The World For Better Deals On Photo Gear

Are there any other countries that are actually cheaper than the U.S.? I remember people on camera forums complaining that they could fly to New York to buy their camera/lenses and still save money.

Cameras and lenses break frequently enough that I wouldn't want the hassle, but I can see importing something like a filter.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-20-2015, 07:05 AM   #494
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Are there any other countries that are actually cheaper than the U.S.? I remember people on camera forums complaining that they could fly to New York to buy their camera/lenses and still save money.
A few months ago on a micro four thirds forum, members posted prices for the Oly OMD EM5 in their country. The major US online photo stores had the lowest prices. Some countries were so high that planning a trip around photo equipment purchases made sense. This was before Oly ended their worldwide warranty.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:12 AM   #495

I tried RonBoyd's link for a few cameras. I think the service must have some linking/scraping issues because the Canon 6D only show a price for the US. The Nikon D810 is $50 cheaper in Italy although this might be unusually low due to the Euro price.

One thing that would be cool is if they did a search ahead of time and listed all the photo gear with biggest price differentials.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:21 AM   #496
Give me a forum ...

I think Hong Kong would have no sales taxes.

If it's cheaper in Italy, that includes a 20% VAT so that would be real cheap.

Of course getting to these places adds a lot of cost.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:40 PM   #497

I've seen a few new camera models that don't have the low-pass (anti-alias) filter. Have you used one? For an enthusiast/hobbyist, is there a big difference?

I've read the articles on them, but wanted to get some feedback from this community.

I'm thinking of upgrading my camera body (XSi / 450) to the Canon T6s and it has the low pass filter.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:31 PM   #498

I understand the new Nikon D7200 doesn't have the filter either. I haven't read any reviews on it yet since it'll be at least a year before I start thinking about buying one.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:35 AM   #499
Recycles dryer sheets

Am totally lost when it comes to current photo equipment, although my wife has a Panasonic ZS6 Lumix.

I still have a Minolta SRT-101, with zoom lenses, flash units & filters. Seems as though some lenses could be usable by using adapters, but it seems like it's not worth the hassle. Getting ready to take these to Goodwill as part of a decluttering program.
ampeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:00 PM   #500
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampeep View Post
Am totally lost when it comes to current photo equipment, although my wife has a Panasonic ZS6 Lumix.

I still have a Minolta SRT-101, with zoom lenses, flash units & filters. Seems as though some lenses could be usable by using adapters, but it seems like it's not worth the hassle. Getting ready to take these to Goodwill as part of a decluttering program.
I am not sure of this, but Sony bought Minolta in order to get into the DSLR business. So, they might make adaptors that will allow you to use old Minolta lenses on new Sony bodies. Of course, there won't be much automation, but you never had that anyway.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hogan mirrorless