Photography gurus - need advice

Gearhead

Dryer sheet wannabe
I love to go to car shows and love cars. And I'm a decent hand at photography. I'd like to combine the two to make a little extra income, but don't know how to go about starting the process. I need advice on copyrights, whether I need to pay the car owners if I sell photos of their cars, how to start a website, etc. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

I love to go to car shows and love cars. And I'm a decent hand at photography. I'd like to combine the two to make a little extra income, but don't know how to go about starting the process. I need advice on copyrights, whether I need to pay the car owners if I sell photos of their cars, how to start a website, etc. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

I'm not a lawyer or a "professional" photographer...

I would imagine there's some limitation on commercial photography at a car show, though that's just a hunch.

Copyrights are somewhat optional; the gummint says an item is copyrighted the moment it is created, though for commercial purposes, I'd register officially. As I understand it, you can copyright a collection/album of photos or music under one copyright.

U.S. Copyright Office - Copyright in General (FAQ)

U.S. Copyright Office - Current Fees

As for a website, that's easy. Figuring how to generate revenue from it is the hard part.

I don't know about car shows, but unless something is in a public venue I always ask if I can take pictures and say what I will do with such.

See:

Photography For Profit
Freelance For Profit:
Stock Photos Allow Both Amateur and Professional Photographers to Profit
http://www.sticky-marketing.net/articles/the-ethics-of-copyright.htm

or subscribe to this Blog:

Make Money Selling Your Photos and Marketing Your Photography Business - Photopreneur

That [-]will [/-] could give a good start to your search for enlightenment.

... don't know how to go about starting the process. ....

I would start by doing! Jeez, I took a look at one of those websites recommended on this thread and I feel so inadequate! I take my camera everywhere, there is lots of opportunity for improvement.

Attachments

• IMG_3778.jpg
    IMG_3778.jpg
    457.6 KB · Views: 3
I do some landscape photography and sell a few of prints a year that help out with photo expenses. From my general understanding, you will need a release from the car owner if you plan to sell the photos as photo art or for publication. I would think there might be a market for selling good car photos to the owner themselves. Your questions are generally beyond my expertise as an outdoor photographer, but you might explore the photo.net web site. There are some forums that can probably better answer your questions and it's a fun web site to expore. You might also check out the "Photographers Market" book that is published annually and maybe at your library. It has a ton of information.

Back
Top Bottom