Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Picked my own pasture
Old 08-23-2005, 07:51 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congrats! Sounds like a project. You need to write Norm Abrams from the show "This Old House" and see if he might give you hand.* * Good luck!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2005, 07:57 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow, that's good to know, about goats and poison ivy. I never would've thought of it. I had thought about fencing an area off in my yard and getting a goat or two and just letting them go at it. But I've got enough poison ivy around that it would be a concern.

But, a bigger concern than that is the county. Once upon a time, the place I live in WAS a farm/general store. But, over the decades, urban sprawl crept in, and I'm sure that there would probably be an ordinance against cute little farm critters nowadays!

Old 08-23-2005, 08:43 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Question about internet; I will have a land line put in to communicate with family and friends and for emergencies like calling the vet.

I will run a laptop computer first on a generator untill I get a* solar powered system with battery back up installed. There are simple solar systems for RVs that would do what I need to run a laptop and one or two other twelve volt appliances for occasional use, keeping the portable generator for backup and running things like a clothes washer, power tools and recharging the battery(ies). I have talked to people who have solar systems in their RVs and it is a good system and not that expensive.

Goats; Everything you said is right if you have a lot of goats and poison ivy. I won't have a lot of goats just two to four cause they like company, I don't have poison ivy. The getting on top of things is a goat thing but good fences keep them out of trouble, most of the time.* I have about fifteen acres of pasture; fenced and cross fenced they can eat to their heart's content. All trees will be fenced off and have another wire fence barrier around the trunk not only to protect it from goats but deer as well. Both eat trees to death and I have deer! Mmmm venison steaks and stew!

I guess I am going to be busy*

I have already indulged in the cooking of the Amish and Mennonite neighborhood and it is good, ever had shoofly pie? If you have a sweet tooth shoofly pie will satisfy it.

There you are;;;
Kitty

Old 08-23-2005, 09:22 AM   #24

Kitty: I don't know much about the internet (sometimes I have to wait for DW to point out buttons, icons). We have upgraded our cell phone service to use it with a laptop when wandering the wilderness. Check with your service provider, they can probaqbly set you up until the wires are streched.

There are a number of mags aimed at 'back to earthers.' DW gets, I think, Mother Earth magazine. Lots of stuff about choosing veggies to grow, goat raising, cheese making, off-the-grid living, etc. Your local Kentucky library will certainly offer a selection of them. The back issues will answer a large number of questions with options and step-by-step procedures. Have fun, wear pants--if you're shy. Sorry if I repeated prior posts.

--Greg
Old 08-23-2005, 03:10 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sounds great!

Have you thought about the kind of chickens you're going to have for eggs? How about cow milk?

Connect with your neighbors to watch you place/livestock if you need to take off for a day or two.

Oh how I envy the quiet!

good luck

uncledrz
Old 08-23-2005, 05:25 PM   #26

Kitty I will be very interested in how this turns out for you. Please let us know.

Here are some links. Both left and right wing.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/

http://www.motherearthnews.com/mothers_library/

Old 08-23-2005, 05:56 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I have thought of the cell phone connection for the laptop. That is still slower than regular dial up but the way technology is developing that could change overnight.

As far as magazines go I have the first ten years of Mother Earth on CD and I am ordering their next CD. I also subscribe to Backwoods Home and Countryside magazines.

I have thought about a milk cow vs a milk goat. When I was a child I got to milk a Jersey cow. What a sweetie, and the milk was wonderful; even after two skims of cream off the top. The problem there is there is to much milk gallons of the stuff twice a day while she is lactating. What would I do with all the milk?
I could feed it to the hogs, but then I would have to have hogs. I don't think I want hogs just so I could use the milk.
The chickens like milk also but not that much milk. I think I will stick with a milk goat; about two three quarts a day maybe feed some to the chickens make some goat cheese and soap.

The breed of chickens? I was thinking of Road Island Reds a good double purpose breed or Buff Orpingtons very nice looking breed. also Arucuna/Americunas they lay light blue and green eggs. The inside is the same just that the outside is colored.

I am lucky in that I won't have to make a living farming my pensions will provide cash income and I hope after the sale of my home to have a very small mortgage on the farm or have it paid off. I may find a way to add to my income and pay for the taxes by generating income with some project on the farm. If that happens swell, if not that's okay also. I enjoy rural life feel comfortable there, I enjoy tending gardens and live stock. I feel very peaceful around barns cows, horses, hay and enjoy the work. It is good honest sweat. Growing my own food and canning it myself would give me a feeling of satisfaction. It is fun going to the pantry and picking out some jars of food you put up a few months ago and making a meal from it. Just feels right.

When I have mucked out a stall and groomed a horse harnessed him up and taken a ride it feels great. I have done this before with a pony I had; she was a sturdy mare that could pull a cart with two adults with ease. Lots of fun . I have had chickens and it is fun to go to the hen house reach under her warm feathered body and find an egg or two, viola' breakfast and the real meaning of fresh There is always something to do, but you are the boss, you get to decide what gets done when it gets done how it gets done. Want a break? Take one your the boss remember?

Kitty

Old 08-23-2005, 06:17 PM   #28

I'd be careful with that farming indulgence.

I heard of a farmer in Texas that won the $10 Million lottery. When asked what he was going to do with the money. He said he was going to buy a New Caddy and then probably just "farm away the rest"
Old 08-23-2005, 06:35 PM   #29

Quote:
just sit on the porch and watch the livestock graze and poop*

I'm really excited for you, but I think that you should NOT poop on the porch!
Old 08-24-2005, 12:42 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl

Yeah, save that for the living room.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:50 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl

Sage advice! I am all for keeping poop off the porch and out of the house. I will be installing a boot scraper as soon as I move in - thinking of an advanced low tech item; organic, self powered, solar dried, air cooled, stationary model. Another words several scrub brushes nailed to a heavy board placed by the steps so sun can dry the mud and the wind can blow it away The house has a nice mud room for hanging your coats and leaving your boots. I will not wear barn boots in the house. Most of the time I will wear what God gave me or cover 'em with socks or slippers if the weather is cold.

If this all works out or even most of it works out I will be a happy ol' Lady in retirement. I know it's a lot of work, but I have never been afraid of work.

Kitty

Old 08-24-2005, 08:05 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome to Kentucky Kitty. I live in Owensboro. I turn 57 today so I'm not going to make "early" retirement but 59 is my outta here and back to Tulsa, Ok. date.

You sound like you have really thought about what you want to do in retirement and taken action to make it happen. Good luck!
Old 08-24-2005, 09:06 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty
Sage advice! I am all for keeping poop off the porch and out of the house. I will be installing a boot scraper as soon as I move in - thinking of an advanced low tech item; organic, self powered, solar dried, air cooled, stationary model. Another words several scrub brushes nailed to a heavy board placed by the steps so sun can dry the mud and the wind can blow it away The house has a nice mud room for hanging your coats and leaving your boots. I will not wear barn boots in the house. Most of the time I will wear what God gave me or cover 'em with socks or slippers if the weather is cold.

Kitty
Kitty: Things were going so well on this thread. You discussed your new dream home and a dream land of 'milk and honey.' People responded with full support and wonderful ideas. Then things deteriorated. Nakedness--athough partial--was implied. Cleaning dirty animal stalls. Filthy boots. Etc. Oh, what a sullied world. Poop! It seems all of us have now gone over to the dark end side. Again. I see a pattern here.

--Greg

Old 08-24-2005, 09:30 AM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON
Poop! It seems all of us have now gone over to the dark end side. Again. I see a pattern here.

--Greg
heh,heh,heh..(sorry unclemick)

--Greg, it's obvious you are a city boy. Take a look at the subject of this thread. What the heck do you think happens in pastures? ....right..."poop happens".

REW

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 10:10 AM   #35

Maybe you should start a blog, or some kind of journal of your experiences.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:42 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
heh,heh,heh..(sorry unclemick)

--Greg, it's obvious you are a city boy. Take a look at the subject of this thread. What the heck do you think happens in pastures? ....right..."poop happens".

REW
I care not to be sullied by such things. I see First and Second Law of Thermodynamic thingys. But I agree, they do happen.

But, thank god, we do walk on our hind legs, away from much of the bad stuff of life. W. doesn't deserve such an elevated position--to my mind. On the lighted side: Trickle down still seems to be working for a while.

--Greg

Old 08-24-2005, 11:18 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Kitty,

* * * *I now live on a small ranch in central Texas hill country (check my profile and past posts). I am learning as I go, just as you seem to be doing.

* * * *Poop is a big part of rural living. In my case I have become an expert on many forms of it.

* * * *Some of my insights on it:

* * *1 *Emu poop can best be scooped with a shovel after the strong summer sun dries it for a day or too. Usually much less viscous than most poop.

* * *2 Llama poop is larger than deer or goat poop and collects in a few chosen spots in great quantities - usually on my road from the gate to the house. The perps like to pick a spot and cannot be easily dissuaded from it. Each poop unit is larger but otherwise like the goat excrement.

* * *3 Longhorn poop creates the classic large pies that dry quickly and are easily moved or thrown for sport.

* * *4 Buffalo poop is heaver than cattle poop and forms higher mounds with ridges cascading from top to base. It burns well enough (known as chips to prarrie pioneers) but takes a long time to completely dry (look for light gray color before using in campfire) I also recommend cooking food in pot with lid when using it as fuel. It does not throw well like cow pies.

* * * 5. Antelope (black buck) poop has smaller units than goats or white tail deer but larger than rabbits.

* * * 6 Rabbit poop can be quite round rather than elipsoid in shape so do not mistake for M & M's

* * * 7 Horse poop can be found as a pile of 'horse apples' which describes shape but the size of each unit is much less than a Red Delicious or Macintosh apple.

* * * 8 I would not expect you need information on dog, cat, or other pet poops except *to say coyote poop is smaller than Labrador Retriever poop.

As for boot scrapes - soon enough you *begin watching where you walk instead of looking long ahead to the scenery. I learned that cowboy boots are well designed for not only easy poop scraping but the lack of laces and calf high construction prevents plant hitchhikers and sticker burrs from gathering on footwear or socks and provide good snake protection. *(it is said that emus control snake population)

Llamas make cute pets but even better is the fact that they will herd with goats and sheep and will charge a coyote or aggressive dog and thus protect the herd.

Around here keeping buffalo can help maintain a wildlife tax exemption.

You want an agricultural exemption. Do not lose it if the land you now own has one. It takes 5 years with the land being in 'production' to get one back. Check with the county and do what ever it takes to maintain the minimum requirements. The tax difference here on raw or Ag improved land is $2/yr per acre rather than $230/yr per acre. One or two acres (depending on the county) is taxed residential - *the rest at exemption rate.

Have fun in paradise - Around here the only sound I hear for days is the wind in the trees. My blood pressure and other vital signs have never been better.
Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:35 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Apocalypse,

You state, "I care not to be sullied by such things. I see First and Second Law of Thermodynamic thingys. But I agree, they do happen"

Try this link for more insight on Thermodynamic thingys ...

http://soundingcircle.com/newslog2.p...195-000589.htm
Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:30 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol_Rancher

Poop is a big part of rural living. In my case I have become an expert on many forms of it.

My blood pressure and other vital signs have never been better.
Ol_Rancher: You are truly a Sage in the wilderness farmlands of poop. You see patterns and behaviors unknown to most of us foolish city dwellers. You know the objects to avoid and the ones to enjoy. You accept and understand it all. Few can say such words as yours. You have found the Platonic ideal "form of the poop." I bow down to you and your wisdom.

--Grasshopper Greg
Old 08-24-2005, 06:04 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON
Kitty: Things were going so well on this thread. You discussed your new dream home and a dream land of 'milk and honey.' People responded with full support and wonderful ideas. Then things deteriorated. Nakedness--athough partial--was implied. Cleaning dirty animal stalls. Filthy boots. Etc. Oh, what a sullied world. Poop! It seems all of us have now gone over to the dark end side. Again. I see a pattern here.

--Greg

Quote:
You could be on to something..... threads do start off lofty and seem to edge slowly toward a more base nature. Maybe we just read to much into it all. It is like starring at those dots that are supposed to be pictures- are the pictures there or in our head?