Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Picked my own pasture
Old 11-11-2005, 11:29 AM   #61

I read a book called "The Compleat Idiot's Guide to Getting Published." I recommend it. Also, I'll bet there are some writing classes available locally.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2006, 01:11 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Well folks been on the farm for a month now retired as of Dec 31st and moved the next week to the farm in Kentucky. So far so good had some adventures with the phone company won't bore you with those details I'll put that stuff on the web site.

I have been busy moving getting settled in and staying warm. Thank goodness the winter so far has been mild or it could be unpleasant.

So far, this retirement thing has not been the big deal I was thinking then again it has been only a month I am still a novice at this stuff. Got my seed order in and tree order as well next is to look into getting a septic system installed the run out to the little house can get a little hairy at times )

Still not on line at the house yet as I have to go to the local library to get on line so my attendance here will be sporadic until I work out a power solution for the computer.

Until later
Kitty

Old 02-01-2006, 01:22 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty
look into getting a septic system installed the run out to the little house can get a little hairy at times )
They sell seats that attach to a 5-gallon bucket

If you need a septic system only for black water consider a composting toilet.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:27 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

I'd forgotten about the many uses of the 5 gallon bucket. When I worked at macdonalds as a kid the pickle slices all came in them and they threw out a bunch every week. All the people who worked there "culled" them and used them for furniture, bookshelf props, etc.

"Pickle buckets" were practically one of lifes staples.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 01:50 PM   #65
Dryer sheet aficionado

Kitty,
It certainly sounds as if you are settling in quite nicely. If you need a fairly inexpensive way to run a computer, take a look at this idea. A solar panel and boat battery coupled to an inverter. I have an inverter for my laptop when we travel by car. No I don't work that much, the kids watch DVD's on it. Anyway, just thought this might be of help. http://www.rain.org/~philfear/how2solar.html
N2FIRE
Old 02-01-2006, 02:55 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Welcome back, Kitty. You might check out some old and new Mother Earth News magazines for lots of ideas.

BTW, I hate outhouses, but hate chamber pots even more...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 03:56 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

I like this thread a lot and I have no intention of purposefully living without electricity, indoor plumbing, a wine cellar or big screen HDTV. Yet, there is a peace of mind and contentedness from the lifestyle that we can all incorporate in our individual situations. These bucolic, romantic descriptions do much more to encourage me to FIRE than anything else I have read here. In fact, I just sent my boss an email telling him I want to retire as soon as the necessary approvals and paperwork can be processed. It may take another 10 months, but just making the move makes me feel better. Thanks, everyone.

setab
Old 02-06-2006, 09:12 AM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by setab
In fact, I just sent my boss an email telling him I want to retire as soon as the necessary approvals and paperwork can be processed.* It may take another 10 months, but just making the move makes me feel better.* Thanks, everyone.

setab
Congratulations on the big decision Setab!
Old 02-13-2006, 10:28 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Everyone;
I am back at the library and using their online service.
Thanks for the input. I liked the solar ideas very much, thinking of trying those ideas out.

I have the rural electric guy coming out to do a survey about bringing in a line and then if that is not to expensive I will get some bids about electrifing some of the house, we'll see how that goes. I started the process of getting a septic system in the test holes have to be dug first and evaluated by the State Plumbing Inspector. We'll see what that is all about when it happens.

We got some snow this weekend and I had both wood stoves fired up and it was warm and toasty, as long as I kept the beasts fed with wood.

So....how am I doing living on an old farm alone during snow storms and cutting wood using primitive methods more like the 19th century than the 21st? I have never felt so good in years and years. The stress from the old job is melting away and I find myself feeling sorry for the one I left there that have years to go. If retirement keeps going like this I made the right decision to retire.

I'll catch up with you guys in few days, hope you all are doing well.

Kitty
Old 02-13-2006, 10:53 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Kitty, just so you know, my wife who thinks 'roughing it' is staying in a hotel without room service, is fascinated with your web site. She thinks you're pretty dang cool.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:07 PM   #71
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
That sounds very cool.* *It's something that I'd like to do.* *For about a year, I think.* *I'm reminded of the old joke: the two happiest days of a boat owner's life are the day he buys the boat of his dreamsand the day he sells it. ,

Keep us updated.* *Your future life could make a very interesting blog.* *I would read it!
It's very mean but quite true: I remember the day I brought my dream house and now I put it in the market. I can imagine how happy I will be on the day it is sold. Being happy and content is just not the human nature.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:29 AM   #72
Full time employment: Posting here.

Setab,

Congratulations on your decision to set the wheels in motion.

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 06:25 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi everybody;
I thought I would drop by and see how everyone was doing.

I had another big day finished the siding job with the last of the facia being put up this morning. I am finishing the siding on the west side of the house under the porch that should be finnished by tomorrow am. Then the potatoes go in the garden along with the cabbage and peas, also broccoli.

I planted seven fruit trees so far and my hens are giving up to three eggs a day now. I have had a go around with some reluctant geese but they are now caged till they behave.

I will be going to an auction for goats and sheep this friday and maybe if the stars and moon are in the right position I'll come home with some animals.

so,,,, how am I doing?

Fine never been so tired or hurt so much.... my hands are sore, I have cuts and bruises by the score.. I am getting a farmers tan and I grin so much folks think I am on something..

Is everything perfect? Nope, but I am well, I am happy, what more can one ask?

I wish you all the same .... good health and happyness

Kay on her farm in Kentucky
Old 03-30-2006, 06:32 PM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations again, Kay! That's one heckuvan answer to "But waddya DO all day!??"

I bet you don't miss being a cop, either...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 06:46 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

NOPE

That is someone else's problem, I wish all cops good luck they need it. I put the badge away, gave away the uniforms and put up the photos. I am a farmer-gal now and that is good enough for me.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:14 PM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

So what are you doing for power needs? Are you still going to the library for the Internet?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 07:44 AM   #77
Full time employment: Posting here.

Kitty, listen to Brat, there are alternatives to Septic Tanks that are more cost effective, look at Wind Power generation, don't waste your time with fruit trees, the spraying will drive you nuts, learn about composting and get a couple of good Barn Cats and one big Farm Dog.

Don't name your Farm Animals, it is easier to eat a Chicken when its' name isn't Henry.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:01 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Kitty - your blog is great! What a great way to share your experiences as they unfold.

We took a completely different path in retirement life (RV gypsies) - so it's fun to read your experiences.

Audrey
Old 04-01-2006, 08:02 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Yep

Composting toilets are worth a goggle search.

The science of the human turd is great fun and very interesting.

Back in fish camp days - the lagoon route - in the swamp with well water it was the obvious choice. I cheated by using chlorine tablets(swiming pool 3" dia) for disinfection - an unnecessary overkill.

Had a thick file on composting. How you decide to handle the pee part is the key to success.

heh heh heh - first cup of coffee.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:41 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Martha
So what are you doing for power needs? Are you still going to the library for the Internet?
Got the phone in ran the puter of the car cig lighter with an inverter until the I got one room wired with elec. The rest I will do as time permits.