Join Early Retirement Today

Picked my own pasture
Old 08-22-2005, 02:21 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Picked my own pasture

Okay, the deal is done.... I am buying the farm ...realy
buying a farm. So, in a few months I will be retired or ...eh eh put out to pasture*

I bought a small Amish farm in Kentucky. The taxes are fair the price was reasonable even for someone coming from out of town, I think* :P At least I am happy with it. I got a barn, 25 acres of pasture, hayfields, woods and a four bedroom Amish house that even has running water.

I will have lots of things to do to keep me busy for years. I will be able to indulge in my hobbies (gardening, raising animals, renovating an old house) and occasionaly just sit on the porch and watch the livestock graze and poop*

I will have lots of things to do that I like, my income will be adequate and above average for the neighborhood-who live modestly. The neighbors are Amish, Mennonite, and Kentucky farmers; none known for show offs with their money.

The closing is Monday I hope there are no gliches.

Kitty

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Picked my own pasture
Old 08-22-2005, 02:35 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow!

Congratulations!

Old 08-22-2005, 02:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty
I got a barn, 25 acres of pasture, hayfields, woods and a four bedroom Amish house that even has running water.
Congratulations, Kitty, sounds like you're in business. *It also sounds like you'll be spending a lot of time with a whole different class of workplace crap?

Time to request those free issues of Home Power & Backwoods Solar!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 02:44 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That sounds very cool. It's something that I'd like to do. For about a year, I think. I'm reminded of the old joke: the two happiest days of a boat owner's life are the day he buys the boat of his dreams, and the day he sells it.

Keep us updated. Your future life could make a very interesting blog. I would read it!
Old 08-22-2005, 02:50 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I have started keeping a diary so far it is booooring*

I am sure that I will have my adventures with neighbors and livestock as I move in and live on the farm....heck I even want to read it*

It ought to be a hoot when I milk my first goat*
At least I should be able to tell male goats from female goats I have worked for both for a long time.

Kitty
Old 08-22-2005, 03:39 PM   #6

Kitty,

Congratulations. I hope you enjoy the farm life, it wounds wonderful.
It sounds like you will be busy doing all the things that I like to do. Have fun with it.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:56 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Kitty, say hello to Arnold and Mr. Haney for me... REW

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:04 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Kitty,

Congratulations. That sounds fabulous. I think it's just great that you get to realize a dream. Have fun.

LL
Old 08-22-2005, 04:05 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Kitty,

Congratulations. That sounds fabulous. I think it's just great that you get to realize a dream. Have fun.

LL
Old 08-22-2005, 04:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty
. . . It ought to be a hoot when I milk my first goat*
At least I should be able to tell male goats from female goats I have worked for both for a long time.

Kitty
It's interesting that I don't recall a single poster placing that on their list of things to do before they die -- milking a goat. I've done it. If it's not on your list it should be.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:43 PM   #11

Since it's Amish, wondering if it has electricity or gas? Or is that one of your projects?

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:46 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
Since it's Amish, wondering if it has electricity or gas? Or is that one of your projects?
Think that was disscussed here:

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=3817.0

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:02 PM   #13

Sounds like fun.* Will this farm provide income (like from the sale of goat milk), or will it just provide enough food for home consumption?

I like the thought of being able to live on a farm and grow my own food, but that's probably only because I never lived on a farm.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:17 PM   #14

Quote:
I bought a small Amish farm in Kentucky. The taxes are fair the price was reasonable even for someone coming from out of town, I think At least I am happy with it. I got a barn, 25 acres of pasture, hayfields, woods and a four bedroom Amish house that even has running water.
Know the state well. Parents are in Lexington. Sounds like you are far from it. Western KY I bet.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:59 PM   #15

Congratulations Kitty! Definitely keep us informed. It sounds like you are going to have some interesting times. I think I would like to video--reality show? You are way more courageous and way more ambitious than I am, which is a good thing!

Dreamer
Old 08-22-2005, 08:15 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations!

It's always a joy to see/hear/read about someone doing what he/she really wants to do.

Best of luck with it!
Old 08-22-2005, 08:36 PM   #17
Confused about dryer sheets

Feed the goats lots of corn.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:09 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
The only gas is from livestock, the only electricity is from static or lighting. The place does have pressure water from the county but the horses don't like it they get theirs from a spring fed pond

Making a deal for this place was interesting the owners don't believe in telephones so every offer was hand carried to them by the real estate agent and he had to go back to the office and call me because his cell phone didn't work there.
eh eh I got used to the delay and learned to calm down and take things as they come. I wasn't sure they would take my offer so I just let it rest.

I have also learned as I noted in another thread that some folks don't think buying a farm especially one without all the amenities is a bright thing to do. Even living in a rural area makes some folks question my decision. They ask questions like "where are you going to shop?", "are there doctors there?", "how far is it to the nearest city?", all with very concerned looks on their faces.

I grew up on a place like this, well actually we didn't have running water unless I ran with the pail . Got along just fine. I'll have a phone of some kind just in case, electricity of some sort later, eventually all the amenities will be added to improve the value of the place not that it is needed or in the case of the present owners wanted.

So,,,, soon while folks are cussing and stuck in traffic and dreading going to work I will walk over to my barn feed the chickens collect the eggs, milk the goat, put the goats and horses out to pasture, wander down to the mail box pick up the paper walk back to the house and have my coffee by the kitchen window, tsk tsk over the news and plan my day. Let's see split wood for an hour or two? Or pick weeds? hmmm.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:19 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Easy on the number of* goats. Too many goats on pasture land will denude it of all plants. No need for weeding or brush eradication. Goats graze and forage. Corn gets expensive after a few months even at $5 - $6 / 50 lb bag. If you have too many of them, your land will look like a moon scape and you will have no young trees growing to replace older lost ones felled by storms and such. Goats love to stand on the hood and trunks of cars and mar the surfaces with hooves.

Erradicate any poision ivy. They will eat it and die a horrible death.

I now understand why some cattlemen call goats and sheep 'prarie maggots'
Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 06:51 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations Kitty!
It occurs to me that the lack of utilities is offset by close proximity to great Amish and Mennonite cooking. Fresh rolls, mayonaisey chicken salad, hummingbird cake...wow, your stomach is fortunate.