Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome Back ! Hope your house sells quickly !

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
You've gotten every penny you deserved from the "Ask Rich" show, and look where you are today.

Now go take some ginseng and take a nap.
I had fever and sinus headaches last week and was forced to go to the local doc. He ran all kinds of blood test and gave me a prescript. Other than getting the prescript, it was a waste of time. Can't get them to call me with the results. Good thing I had nothing serious(I guess) or I would have died waiting on test results. If you had been around, you could have given me the ginseng advice and I would have done just as well.

Oh well.....welcome back.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:22 AM   #43

Welcome back Rich! I enjoy reading your posts - you conquered the "just one more year" syndrome that many of us struggle with.

Good luck on the house sale & move.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus
Columbia is a good choice. I would not live in San Francisco for all the granola in California,
Maybe some hydro, though...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
I tried, but they stopped me at the border. My papers were not in order, I guess .
Good to see you back posting. If you had been packing heat, we would have let you in.

Hope the health issues are behind you and you get a quick house sale at a good price. And we'd love to have another MD here in Texas, even a retired one.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:48 AM   #46

Welcome back, Rich.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:41 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Whew. Good to see you back, Rich.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:45 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus
Columbia is a good choice. I would not live in San Francisco for all the granola in California,
I'd live in SF. It has two good universities nearby, lots to see and do, and excellent sailing in the bay.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Let me add my voice to the welcome backs! We missed you, Rich. Hope the health problems are behind you and better days are ahead.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I had fever and sinus headaches last week and was forced to go to the local doc. He ran all kinds of blood test and gave me a prescript. Other than getting the prescript, it was a waste of time. Can't get them to call me with the results. Good thing I had nothing serious(I guess) or I would have died waiting on test results. If you had been around, you could have given me the ginseng advice and I would have done just as well.

Oh well.....welcome back.
Hey Rich, Doc finally called me this morning and said I tested positive for the West Nile virus. I guess you wouldn't have been able to help me over the internet anyway. My fever had actually gone away by time I saw him, but he prescribed Z-Pak as I still had some aches and pains. But I guess it didn't contribute much to my continued improvement as I read where antibiotics doesn't help treat the virus. If I had not gone in, I guess it would have gone away on it's on and I would have never know about it. No telling how many other cases there are that never make it to the statistics.

Oh well.......back to my regular med's.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #51
Administrator

Dawg, glad you are OK now! Knowing that you had West Nile must be a little disturbing. Some people get really bad cases of West Nile as I'm sure you know, and I guess some others have milder cases. My neighbor had it in 2011, and the poor guy had to be hospitalized.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Dawg, glad you are OK now! Knowing that you had West Nile must be a little disturbing. Some people get really bad cases of West Nile as I'm sure you know, and I guess some others have milder cases. My neighbor had it in 2011, and the poor guy had to be hospitalized.
Obviously I would rather not have it, but extreme cases are rare according to most things I have read about it. It appears I fall into the category below. I never had nausea or skin rashes. I did have fever, head aches and a red throat although it didn't feel sore.

Not much I can do about at this point. I feel fine now.

CDC: West Nile Virus - What You Need To Know

Milder Symptoms in Some People. Up to 20 percent of the people who become infected have symptoms such as fever, headache, and body aches, nausea, vomiting, and sometimes swollen lymph glands or a skin rash on the chest, stomach and back. Symptoms can last for as short as a few days, though even healthy people have become sick for several weeks.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Hey Rich, Doc finally called me this morning and said I tested positive for the West Nile virus. I guess you wouldn't have been able to help me over the internet anyway. My fever had actually gone away by time I saw him, but he prescribed Z-Pak as I still had some aches and pains. But I guess it didn't contribute much to my continued improvement as I read where antibiotics doesn't help treat the virus. If I had not gone in, I guess it would have gone away on it's on and I would have never know about it. No telling how many other cases there are that never make it to the statistics.

Oh well.......back to my regular med's.
Glad you're OK. Many infectious diseases are only serious for low percentages of the population due to other diseases, immune status, etc. West Nile is an example. Still, it gets attention when it turns ugly.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting Rich and good luck. Columbia is our destination also IF we can ever sell our house. (The lure of children and grandchildren........)

Molly
Old 09-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
Interesting Rich and good luck. Columbia is our destination also IF we can ever sell our house. (The lure of children and grandchildren........)

Molly
Let's keep in touch and see how things unfold. What is your Columbia connection (direct private message OK if you prefer)? Is it mainly the kids/grandkids?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:23 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Welcome back Rich!