Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-08-2015, 08:11 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Outabout, there's another sport you might want to look into called Paddle Tennis.

The court is slightly longer than pickleball but the same width. The paddles are bigger and have holes in them and you use a tennis ball.

It plays much more like tennis than pickleball so you might really like it since you're tennis players.

Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2015, 08:48 AM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Outabout, there's another sport you might want to look into called Paddle Tennis.

The court is slightly longer than pickleball but the same width. The paddles are bigger and have holes in them and you use a tennis ball.

It plays much more like tennis than pickleball so you might really like it since you're tennis players.

Thank you Lisa, it looks very interesting, may just have to try it out :-)

outabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:15 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When I was a kid, older people played something called shuffleboard. Is pickleball its successor?

Amethyst
Old 02-12-2015, 08:52 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I played quite a bit of tennis growing up and friends here persuaded my wife and I to try pickleball. To me it's like a cross between tennis and pingpong. It is great fun, highly addictive, and wildly popular here in small-city Colorado.

I tore a calf muscle though playing it and it's taken months of rest and PT to heal, and in talking to others on the courts there are lots and lots of stories of bum knees and more than one of a popped achilles. It may be "geezer tennis" but it's still a ballistic, centrifugal motion sport so make sure you're good and warmed up before playing, have adequate flexibility and (probably most important) don't go for every shot. It's a really fun sport but thought I should share some hard-won cautions.
kevink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:18 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink View Post
I played quite a bit of tennis growing up and friends here persuaded my wife and I to try pickleball. To me it's like a cross between tennis and pingpong. It is great fun, highly addictive, and wildly popular here in small-city Colorado.

I tore a calf muscle though playing it and it's taken months of rest and PT to heal, and in talking to others on the courts there are lots and lots of stories of bum knees and more than one of a popped achilles. It may be "geezer tennis" but it's still a ballistic, centrifugal motion sport so make sure you're good and warmed up before playing, have adequate flexibility and (probably most important) don't go for every shot. It's a really fun sport but thought I should share some hard-won cautions.
My number one rule once I reached 55....don't fall down!
Old 02-12-2015, 11:03 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink View Post
It may be "geezer tennis" but it's still a ballistic, centrifugal motion sport so make sure you're good and warmed up before playing, have adequate flexibility and (probably most important) don't go for every shot. It's a really fun sport but thought I should share some hard-won cautions.
Awesome advice! My DH hurt his back playing but it was because he was throwing his body around like a crazy person... he definitely goes for every shot.

We also have a friend that is now having knee problems because of playing but she and her husband play competitively and play at least 4 hours/day 5 days/week. Anyone's joints would wear out with that kind of abuse!
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:57 PM   #27

I thought I would revive an old pickeball thread to see if there has been any additional interest over the past few years.

I just started playing about a month ago after our town added four new courts within walking distance of my house. Now I regularly meet up with a group of about 50 or so people who play almost every day. While it does attract the retired crowd, I'm seeing a lot of people in their 20's show up and play for hours. I played for seven hours yesterday and my body is really hurting. But I'm sure I"ll be back on the court tomorrow for some more, as it is quite addictive.

Has anyone else found the passion for pickeball since ERing?
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:46 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I tried to make a paddleball comeback when I was around 40 years old (I used to be really good at 19) and I got tennis elbow and plantar fasciitis. I felt like I could still hit the ball and move fine but I'm pretty sure my aim was off and my body couldn't take it. I was heavier than at 19. I was working up the nerve to try getting a game with some of the best players, in Coney Island by the boardwalk, then I realized what my arm pain was. My feet and arm took over 6 months to heal and I think my left foot will never be quite the same.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:31 PM   #29

Funny you should bring this up right now. Next winter we will be spending Jan-March in The Villages, Florida, and pickleball is very big there. I am planning on trying it.
I used to be a pretty good Platform Tennis player, and can still play a decent game of Ping Pong (or Table Tennis if you prefer). I have concerns about how well my body will hold up, but since nearly everyone in The Villages is my age or older, I guess it's all about toning down the competitive instincts.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:09 PM   #30

Pickleball is getting quite popular even in the Midwest.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:13 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I thought I would revive an old pickeball thread to see if there has been any additional interest over the past few years.

I just started playing about a month ago after our town added four new courts within walking distance of my house. Now I regularly meet up with a group of about 50 or so people who play almost every day. While it does attract the retired crowd, I'm seeing a lot of people in their 20's show up and play for hours. I played for seven hours yesterday and my body is really hurting. But I'm sure I"ll be back on the court tomorrow for some more, as it is quite addictive.

Pickleball? Love it!
PERSonalTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:08 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I worked with some folks before I retired who played on a regular basis, so I looked into it a few years ago.

My wife and I have played a bit over the past few years in the summer. She's okay with it - I love it.

Right now, I don't have time to ply often or join a league. I'm looking forward to when she decides to retire and I can play regularly.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:50 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
I tried to make a paddleball comeback when I was around 40 years old (I used to be really good at 19) and I got tennis elbow and plantar fasciitis. I felt like I could still hit the ball and move fine but I'm pretty sure my aim was off and my body couldn't take it. I was heavier than at 19. I was working up the nerve to try getting a game with some of the best players, in Coney Island by the boardwalk, then I realized what my arm pain was. My feet and arm took over 6 months to heal and I think my left foot will never be quite the same.
I moved out of Brooklyn in '77, but was an avid albeit mediocre paddleball player. Haven't played since then, but reading this thread has piqued my interest in pickleball. Boho: do they still have the "I challenge" protocol ?
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:59 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Pickleball and shuffleboard strike me as similarly undignified names for games.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:30 AM   #35

Does any of you play tennis? Does it bother you at all that the ball doesn't go very fast no matter how hard you hit the ball?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:42 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Does any of you play tennis? Does it bother you at all that the ball doesn't go very fast no matter how hard you hit the ball?
I played very little in my paddleball prime. It mostly bothered me that I had to try so hard to not hit the net and not have the ball go out that I couldn't even try hitting it really hard.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:51 AM   #37

Quote:

I think that's the design. First of all you have a smaller court so a ball whizzing by at 80mph would be a hard one to return. With the "non-volley zone" you have a lot of dinking, and eventually some volley play, with players standing right behind the non-volley line, so slowing it down a bit is conducive to extending rallies.

All of which makes the game more playable for beginners, and older folks.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:35 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Ball goes plenty fast.... I don't notice much difference in speed from tennis when volleying at the net.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:47 AM   #39

Quote:
It bothered me at first.

But it bothers me far less than my wife constantly telling me to not hit the tennis ball so hard when we play each other.

So I've learned to live with it.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:16 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

The CCRC that we are moving to in a few months has an avid Pickleball following. I hope to pick it up (along with Bocce) when we are there.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote