Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 08:36 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado Mountains
Posts: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
That sounds so cool. Won't it be a challenge to get all the building materials in?

I would love to do something like that but DW would be concerned about how to get emergency medical treatment............
The road in from Divide isn't bad. DD makes the trip in her Prius. A simi-truck & trailer deliver food to the camp weekly during the summer. Of course in the spring there are mud holes in the road and washboards all year around.

Its about 50 minutes to a medical facility. Flight for Life has been done when necessary. Besides, for me the small risk is more than worth it for the opportunity to serve as best I can at the camp.
__________________

__________________
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2014, 11:06 AM   #22
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Westcliffe
Posts: 228
I would have gone with Woodstock but they don't make inserts. The Fireview is a fine choice.

Would love to see some in progress photos along the way!
__________________

__________________
Mr. Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:58 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado Mountains
Posts: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
I would have gone with Woodstock but they don't make inserts. The Fireview is a fine choice.

Would love to see some in progress photos along the way!
More in the future.

Drilling the well and 3d sketches:
(You need to click on the pic for a good rendition.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0776.jpg (458.9 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 3d front.jpg (52.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 3d back.jpg (71.2 KB, 46 views)
__________________
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:50 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,068
A two story, three car garage? Cool!
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #25
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Westcliffe
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
A two story, three car garage? Cool!
After seeing pics of the RV, I'd say it's really two cars and a boat
__________________
Mr. Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:04 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado Mountains
Posts: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
After seeing pics of the RV, I'd say it's really two cars and a boat
The upper garage will hold the Jeep and the old F250 with its snow plow. The lower will hold the Audi TT with enough room left for the future Harley and a couple 4-wheel ATVs.

A guy needs to have a few toys to entice friends and family to the mountains!
__________________
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:41 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.
Jack_Pine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
The upper garage will hold the Jeep and the old F250 with its snow plow. The lower will hold the Audi TT with enough room left for the future Harley and a couple 4-wheel ATVs.

A guy needs to have a few toys to entice friends and family to the mountains!

Speaking of which, aren't you going to need/want a sled or two?
__________________
The Constitution. It's not just a good idea...it's the law.
Jack_Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:55 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado Mountains
Posts: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
Speaking of which, aren't you going to need/want a sled or two?
Good idea! Now I will need to clear a bunch of tree stumps and logs for a path out the back door and down the hill.
__________________
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:57 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.
Jack_Pine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Good idea! Now I will need to clear a bunch of tree stumps and logs for a path out the back door and down the hill.
Well, yes, those.....In Wisconsin we call snow mobiles "sleds" like they call them "snow machines" in Alaska. They are a blast to run and good in emergency snow to get out.
__________________
The Constitution. It's not just a good idea...it's the law.
Jack_Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado Mountains
Posts: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
Well, yes, those.....In Wisconsin we call snow mobiles "sleds" like they call them "snow machines" in Alaska. They are a blast to run and good in emergency snow to get out.
Actually, there has not been enough snow to run snowmobiles where I will live for quite a number of years. I would have to take them farther north a ways.
__________________
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:29 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Not too much fire risk. The area was burned in the Haymon fire in 2002. The aspen are returning and there are lots of pine trees that are about a foot high now. I will take fire precautions around the building. There is a paper discussing how far away to keep plants and trees and other fire fuels.

The RV is too cold to use in the winter. I came back to Virginia in late October last fall.
Do I see some Pine Beetle damage in those photos, I can't really tell.

Last summer I was in Colorado and I had my first look at Pine Beetle work.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:23 AM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado Mountains
Posts: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Do I see some Pine Beetle damage in those photos, I can't really tell.

Last summer I was in Colorado and I had my first look at Pine Beetle work.

Ha
No, that's fire damage. There is a lot of pine beetle damage up in the Denver area. Where I am the areas of the forest that did not burn are in pretty good shape.

The Haymon fire actually went through the area twice. Once in one direction and once in the other. The folks that had places back then said the only thing left was steel or iron. Anything made of aluminum was just gone. When I first got my lot about 5 years ago the aspen were about 10 or 12 feet tall. Now I'd say they are between 25 and 30 feet tall.
__________________
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:35 AM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
38Chevy454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,577
I like the house design. I will say that as an old car hobby guy, the garage is never big enough! How about adding a lean-to off the back alongside the bottom garage to provide some covered shelter space but at very low additional cost?

I am south of you and live at 7100 ft. We get some snow here and I have a tractor that is so useful around the house and property. Blade on the back for snow or grading work, bucket on the front, or detach bucket and pallet forks for front, and a bush hog on the back for cutting. Just a great multi-purpose tool. So many things it can help with.

The lean-to would be great tractor storage, for example. I can be good at spending others money!
__________________
After Monday & Tuesday even the calendar says, W-T-F...

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:40 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: San Jose
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
No, that's fire damage. There is a lot of pine beetle damage up in the Denver area. Where I am the areas of the forest that did not burn are in pretty good shape.

The Haymon fire actually went through the area twice. Once in one direction and once in the other. The folks that had places back then said the only thing left was steel or iron. Anything made of aluminum was just gone. When I first got my lot about 5 years ago the aspen were about 10 or 12 feet tall. Now I'd say they are between 25 and 30 feet tall.
I wasn't living in Colorado at the time of the Hayman fire, but have friends in Divide who lived through it. The stories they would tell were horrific.

When I moved back a few years later, and started looking to buy a house, one of the homes I looked at in the Florissant area seemed to be a nice home, but priced rather low. I started doing some Googling, and checking county property records, and found out it was owned by the family of the woman who started the fire. When the fire broke out, there were news reports of angry locals driving by, and threats to burn her house down. I quickly passed on that one, figuring that's the reason it was priced so low.

Glad to see things are recovering in that area.
__________________
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,388
Speaking of the damage caused by the beetles, I recalled driving through the Rocky Mountain National Park and seeing vast stretches of the forest devastated. This was perhaps 7 or 8 years ago.

And about forest fires, in AZ we had a large fire called Rodeo-Chediski in 2002 that destroyed 732 sq.mi. When we were looking for our 2nd home, we had a chance to buy a home in a "predisastered area". That home was actually right at the edge of the burned area as the fire was stopped!

Due to relatively low precipitation, forests in AZ take a long time to recover, particularly areas populated by junipers. These are extremely slow growing, and highly drought-tolerant.
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #36
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado Mountains
Posts: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
I like the house design. I will say that as an old car hobby guy, the garage is never big enough! How about adding a lean-to off the back alongside the bottom garage to provide some covered shelter space but at very low additional cost?

I am south of you and live at 7100 ft. We get some snow here and I have a tractor that is so useful around the house and property. Blade on the back for snow or grading work, bucket on the front, or detach bucket and pallet forks for front, and a bush hog on the back for cutting. Just a great multi-purpose tool. So many things it can help with.

The lean-to would be great tractor storage, for example. I can be good at spending others money!
The lean-to would be a good idea, but there will be a road right there. The county wants me to do a cul-de-sac for emergency vehicle turn-around and the only way to do it is around the house. It sits on the top of a hill.

Here is my tractor and dump truck. I own them with the friend that will help me build the house. I was thinking about the forks that clamp to the bucket. I would prefer regular forks, but the clamp-on ones are only a couple hundred bucks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0674.jpg (698.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Dump Truck.jpg (491.6 KB, 22 views)
__________________
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:12 PM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
38Chevy454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
The lean-to would be a good idea, but there will be a road right there. The county wants me to do a cul-de-sac for emergency vehicle turn-around and the only way to do it is around the house. It sits on the top of a hill.

Here is my tractor and dump truck. I own them with the friend that will help me build the house. I was thinking about the forks that clamp to the bucket. I would prefer regular forks, but the clamp-on ones are only a couple hundred bucks.
Well, you could just make that upper deck longer and use that to park under. Lean-to does not have to be more than 8-10 ft out from the wall to provide some nice protected storage. If you made it back from the driveway it would still allow for the turn-around since you have the deck there.

My tractor bucket has the quick detach option, so my pallet forks are used instead of the bucket. The clamp-on forks are a nice option for you, and relatively cheap. They just limit some of your loading capacity since they are further out from the support points. Real nice for hauling longer pieces around, like logs or boards. Or in my case I built a retaining wall using railroad ties. Very nice letting the tractor do the hauling and moving of those heavy ties!

A dump truck is on my wish list, something similar to yours being a single axle slightly older truck. Then I could get gravel or other stuff and avoid delivery fees and time waiting for delivery. The dump bed is nice for unloading.
__________________
After Monday & Tuesday even the calendar says, W-T-F...

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:02 PM   #38
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
.......we had a chance to buy a home in a "predisastered area". That home was actually right at the edge of the burned area as the fire was stopped

Never heard of the term "predisastered area". Is this comparable to "distressed furniture"?

Learn something new every day on this forum.
__________________
Married, both 62. DH retired June, 2010. I have a pleasant little part time job.
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:32 PM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,388
I could not claim credit for the word. It was borrowed from the movie The World According to Garp, and I could not be sure that this movie was the origin of that word either.

PS. By the way, look closely and you will see an obvious goof: the debris around Garp changed as the camera position was shifted in the middle of the scene.

PPS. The "predisaster" logic does not work in Garp's case, but is valid in the forest fire case. There's little left to burn! However, the view was gone, and we did not like the floor plan, hence did not buy that place.

__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:34 AM   #40
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Westcliffe
Posts: 228
Here's an update from the local political scene ... love this!

TELLER COUNTY The town of Divide has a new mayor. His name is Pa Kettle, and he's a bloodhound.
Buster the Cat was considered the frontrunner over the last couple of weeks, but in the final vote Pa Kettle the dog edged him out.
Since the town of Divide doesn't have a mayor, the Teller County Regional Animal Shelter holds a special election every two years to elect a new animal as mayor.
The election is considered a fundraiser for the animal shelter. Each vote costs a dollar and every dollar goes to the shelter.
TCRAS is the only no-kill shelter in Teller County. It relies heavily on donations.
This year's election brought in $12,091 for the shelter.
The town's previous mayor was a three-legged cat.
(KUSA-TV 2014 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)


Dog elected mayor in town of Divide
__________________

__________________
Mr. Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Charles Maxwell, Hubbert's Peak, $15 gallon gas and our retirement. cashflo2u2 FIRE and Money 65 05-29-2008 10:13 AM
S&P500 actually down 17% from 2000 peak soupcxan FIRE and Money 14 07-19-2007 04:32 PM
Retirement prospects and peak oil theory? kjpliny FIRE and Money 21 03-21-2006 12:52 AM
Peak Oil Marshac Young Dreamers 65 08-03-2005 09:47 AM
When and where will cd rates peak? Dawg52 FIRE and Money 3 04-13-2005 10:59 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:53 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.