Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-12-2011, 12:18 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Danmar, as fetishes go it sounds a bit lame; but if it's the best you can do, I suppose it beats no fetish at all. If it ever starts to fail you, try Asian girls with really short skirts, 4" heels, and white socks.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Naaah...I have a feeling white socks wouldn't look good on Danmar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Danmar, as fetishes go it sounds a bit lame; but if it's the best you can do, I suppose it beats no fetish at all. If it ever starts to fail you, try Asian girls with really short skirts, 4" heels, and white socks.

Ha

Old 03-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I find it mildly amusing but I have to admit being obsessive when planning travel .
Old 03-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yah, I have a streak of OCD myself. My friends just make fun of me...and I try and ignore them.
Sounds like a marriage made in heaven, tho...lucky you two!
Old 03-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Ha
You talking ankle length socks with brown penny loafers or knee highs with black flats?
Old 03-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
You talking ankle length socks with brown penny loafers or knee highs with black flats?
Does it sound like it?
Old 03-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
My DW and I are were both accountants when we worked. She was a project manager and I a senior bank exec. Planning was a cornerstone of our working lives. We have been retired for almost 5 years and we may have taken planning to an extreme. We track everything on spreadsheets: where we sleep(to ensure we have tax and other data); travel expenses by trip per night; workouts including calories burned, type, location, duration, weight before and after; very detailed expense budgets going out 3 years; portfolio returns; income sources; calendars going out a year with projected trips, flights, use of our various vacation properties,etc. Our friends think we are nuts but we both love this stuff. What do you guys think? Maybe too much? But can't imagine doing it otherwise.
This sounds pretty frickin' wierd Danmar.......... But then again, I'm sure you'd view my "just wing it" tendencies with disdain as well. Each to his own!
Old 03-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Does it sound like it?
Well those 4" heals kinda clash with the rest of the outfit. But, WTF, one man's fetish is another's fashion clash! I say go for it.......
Old 03-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #29
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Our friends think we are nuts...
You need other friends ...

All that matters is what you enjoy doing. I'll assume you are not holding up a gun to others to do the same.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Well those 4" heals kinda clash with the rest of the outfit. But, WTF, one man's fetish is another's fashion clash! I say go for it.......
It's a popular look among young women at the local CC, although these things seem to change very rapidly.
Ha
Old 03-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's a popular look among young women at the local CC, although these things seem to change very rapidly.
Ha
Ohhhhhh...... Wanna go hang around the local CC and gather statistics on fashion trends for a while?
Old 03-12-2011, 02:58 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

There's planning fetish, and planning fetish.....which is what I thought you meant when I first saw this thread:

YouTube - chriscicchelli's Channel

But then I saw it was Danmar, and reality testing set in!

Disclaimer: link is probably not safe for w*rk!
Old 03-12-2011, 03:12 PM   #33

Quote:

Ha
Yes. It's the best we can do as accountants. Your suggestion does sound more interesting.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
There's planning fetish, and planning fetish.....which is what I thought you meant when I first saw this thread:

Sorry to disappoint.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

The discussion on "Choosing and Using Fetish Props" was quite interesting. Perhaps OP could put that into a spreadsheet, calculate the usual descriptive statistics and log all associated activities "for the record." Then the fetish could be keeping data on your fetishes!
Old 03-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Ha
+1
I figure it can not be a real fetish if when you google it you don't get NSFW pictures. The first google image for planning is this. Yawn

My sister has the same fetish, while it is irritating at times it is often very helpful.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #37

I have lots of spreadsheets and keep track of lots of things.

I keep track of all our expenditures and budgets that go out several years. I even have alternative budgets. We have our current house on the market and I did spreadsheets extending for 5 years with several options: Keeping this house, selling this house at a specific point, keep this house X years and then selling it. Then I had variation for buying another house or building another house. And, had variations depending on what we sell this house for.

I keep detailed records of what we spend (I've done this for over 20 years...not that it kept me from getting into debt while I was younger..but I was an informed debtor). I got irritated with DH last month when he had $30 or so of unaccounted for cash spending.

And, yet, I recently realized I didn't keep track of enough. I had all of our photos scanned into the computer and for most of those I have nothing that shows when they were taken. Since I wanted to organize the photos by year and then month that was a problem. For some photos, I can figure out by the photo when it was taken (we only took one trip to Quebec City). But, we went to Disney World a gazillion times when the kids were younger and I have Christmas photos for many years. So trying to figure out if this photo is of Christmas 2003 or Christmas 2004 is not that easy. Or even if I know which trip it was of I find that years later I don't necessary remember if that trip was in 2003 or 2004.

I realized that what I was lacking was a chronology of meaningful events. I started going through my old expense records to make a Chronology (looking at hotel expenditures for example). I also started going through old emails. Yes, I have an archive saved of over 200,000 emails going back to the mid-90s. The chronology is moving along nicely but still needs more work.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Hey, we all have to entertain ourselves one way or another.........
Old 03-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I realized that what I was lacking was a chronology of meaningful events. I started going through my old expense records to make a Chronology (looking at hotel expenditures for example). I also started going through old emails. Yes, I have an archive saved of over 200,000 emails going back to the mid-90s. The chronology is moving along nicely but still needs more work.
This might deal quite effectively with "What do we do all day?"

Ha
Old 03-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I got irritated with DH last month when he had $30 or so of unaccounted for cash spending.
Hmmm. Lunch with the cute girl on the next cubicle?