Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-15-2011, 04:43 PM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Sounds familiar, what was your father's name?
Infinity

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
I would think that this should remain constant or have very little change. I wonder what he does with the data.
He had different outfits and shoes, so he just wanted to know if it was 4lb or 5lbs.

I don't know that he did anything with the data. I never heard any great revelations like, "I run 40 seconds faster per hour when the air temp is 67degs and the barometric pressure is 1086 hectopascals".

I think he just liked the process.

I like spreadsheets but kind of lose interest from time to time.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
I chuck the support documents, receipts,etc. But the amount of paper in the actual tax return document is pretty small. So keeping even 30 years of fed + state returns shouldn't be a burden. Personally, I'd prefer paper over PDF's.
I wish you'd been helping me last week when I was cleaning out my father's file cabinet...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I wish you'd been helping me last week when I was cleaning out my father's file cabinet...
Hi Nords, I'm just guessing this was a real sad experience. It just so happened I was cleaning out my files today (it's raining a lot here) and had to scrap a file of records about one of our long gone relatives finances and also a file about our beloved old Corgi.

Regarding the tax records, my files for just fed+state returns going back to the early 1980's is only about 6 inches deep. Not too bad so I'll keep them.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:13 PM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
Hi Nords, I'm just guessing this was a real sad experience. It just so happened I was cleaning out my files today (it's raining a lot here) and had to scrap a file of records about one of our long gone relatives finances and also a file about our beloved old Corgi.
Regarding the tax records, my files for just fed+state returns going back to the early 1980's is only about 6 inches deep. Not too bad so I'll keep them.
The worst part was sifting through all the trash for the treasure. He kept printouts of trade orders, trade confirmations, weekly watch lists, monthly summaries, asset-allocation lists, and even routine e-mails. For every one of 20-30 securities & mutual funds that he traded over the last 25+ years.

My point wasn't that the volume was so bad. My point was that what seemed to me to be treasure was actually trash when seen through the eyes of another. Even if it's "just" six inches, I'd rather turn it into a hard drive file than to keep it around for someone else to have to paw through for a cleanout.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:34 PM   #86

At one time I had utility bills going back to the 70s. Even ones from apartments during college. All marked like:
Paid $ 22.17, BofA Chk#1074
Jan 7, 1974

Hey, ya never know when SoCal Edison is gonna call and say, "Mr. Nerdly, we did not receive your payment for January back 23 years ago, can you prove you paid it?"
Old 03-15-2011, 11:47 PM   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Hey, ya never know when SoCal Edison is gonna call and say, "Mr. Nerdly, we did not receive your payment for January back 23 years ago, can you prove you paid it?"
Back in 1984, the Navy's pay people chased down one of my shipmates over a question of his housing allowance... from 1967. It turned out that he had better records than they did.