Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
I take folic acid to improve my memory. it seems to help.
Only if you remember to take it
cranberryjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranberryjoe View Post
Only if you remember to take it
A very serious problem. When DM dementia started getting worse, Aricept was newly available. She couldn't remember to take it. DF really stepped up and took care of things he always refused to do all his life, cleaning, laundry, getting food. But he refused to help DM with her meds. Many years later we've realized he couldn't, he was hiding his own dementia.

MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Very interesting that so many don't have children or close relatives that they trust enough to be financially involved. My brothers and I had to take on the finances for my parents (mom had Alzheimer's and Dad cancer) to pay bills and caregivers so they could stay at home. So it was on my mind for several years, making sure they didn't run out of money or get cheated. As a result, we have talked numerous times with my daughter about our finances, plans and wishes. If we get more dependent, she and her husband have a place where we could live on their property as a possible choice. I really felt like my parents were so unprepared, because my mom was the one who took care of the finances and so when she got Alzheimer's, my dad was lost about budgeting his funds, paying bills, etc.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
Very interesting that so many don't have children or close relatives that they trust enough to be financially involved. My brothers and I had to take on the finances for my parents (mom had Alzheimer's and Dad cancer) to pay bills and caregivers so they could stay at home. So it was on my mind for several years, making sure they didn't run out of money or get cheated. As a result, we have talked numerous times with my daughter about our finances, plans and wishes. If we get more dependent, she and her husband have a place where we could live on their property as a possible choice. I really felt like my parents were so unprepared, because my mom was the one who took care of the finances and so when she got Alzheimer's, my dad was lost about budgeting his funds, paying bills, etc.
One of the greatest gifts FIL/MIL gave us were all their last wishes in writing. They probably put it together when they were 60. Had all the standard legal stuff POA, trust, health directives. More important were letters stating how they wanted their eventual end to be taken care of. Each child had a sealed letter to be opened after both passed. Simple stuff, how much easier they made their passing for their children. BTW - they passed exactly 90 days apart from each other. He never knew his DW was ill(nor did she), as she sat by his bedside.
MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
Very interesting that so many don't have children or close relatives that they trust enough to be financially involved.
Well, given how responsible the average forum member is with finances, and given how much of a minority the 'truly fiscally responsible' people are in the world, it's no surprise to me that there are a good number of those who are responsible themselves, yet don't feel that they know a clear nominee that they would completely trust with all things financial with their entire estate if they were unable to manage their own affairs.

The average person who doesn't think that far ahead or who isn't worried about their fiscal health isn't likely to be as worried about making sure a responsible, trusted, and not-sky-high-fee 3rd party is available to rely on.