Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-16-2009, 08:50 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The best stuff is these sites. . .
Thank you!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2009, 09:19 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go View Post
Thank you!
I added more stuff to that post - just didn't want you to miss it. I have a bad habit of editing a post 2 or 3 times before finishing it!

Old 08-16-2009, 10:00 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I would be perhaps a little nervous about having real property and a storage unit in one state while establishing a new domicile in another state, but if you are sure to make all insurance, registrations, licenses, etc. in that new state you are probably OK if ever challenged.
I have thought about this. But once I rent out my condo it becomes an investment property rather than a residence. It is not possible for me to use it as a residence if someone else is living there. I can't even use the address. Although it may open an avenue for NJ to challenge me, I don't think it's a very compelling argument from their perspective.

I'll probably have to keep the condo insured in NJ, but all my other insurance, registrations, etc. will move to SD. I hadn't considered moving the storage unit to SD, but that is a possibility. The SD units may even be less expensive on a month-to-month basis . . . perhaps enough to offset the higher cost of moving stuff cross-country.

I also don't think the downside of being challenged by NJ and losing is all that great. Even though NJ is a high-tax state, the state taxes I'll owe on my soon to be reduced income aren't going to be particularly high. Health and other insurance costs are the big ticket items. One year of insurance savings will more than offset several years of past-due NJ state taxes, even assuming 100% penalties. I kind of think they'll have bigger fish to fry.

And besides, NJ will still get a cut. I plan to file NJ state income taxes for any rental income I earn.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:30 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

The Pocono Record had this story today.

Home on the road: Retired couple gives up house for life on wheels | PoconoRecord.com
Old 08-16-2009, 01:32 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

We Love Our Airstream!

My wife and I are not fulltimers. We do know several people that fulltime in their RVs. Many people consider motorhomes when they think of RVs but there are plenty of other options. We love our Airstream. We pull it with a GMC Suburban. So give some thought to travel trailers too before you decide on a motorhome. There are certainly pros/cons to both approaches.

Yes they still make Airstreams although I recommend a previously owned model rather than new (this goes for all RVs). Check out www.airforums.com

I found the ER forum after being a member of airforums for several years. Funny... I never looked down at the bottom of the forum page but there are lots of good forums listed below.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:52 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Wow, that was a fast transition! Don't think we will ever full-time, but DW and I increasingly like the idea of a home base that we roam from for at least a few weeks at a time once we check out of the worklife. Just got back from a weekend trip with the kids, dogs and the trailer and although it wasn't the greatest place we have ever camped (Lum's Pond SP in DE), it was decent and we still enjoyed it. Managed to do a 7.5 mile hike yesterday while the kids were napping.

Definately think about travel trailers in addition to motorhomes. And let us know how the planning and final experience go. Very curious.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:01 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

We spent most of 2 years planning our escape. I think we went to every RV show within a hundred miles of home.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:55 PM   #28

That is fantastic news--we are quite jealous!

I think that our personal problem is that one of us (me) wants to travel in the Airstream MH and the other (DH) wants to travel in a boat. I suspect that we will need to accommodate both of us at different points in our FIRE plan, as well as keeping the house for all the animals that won't fit on either a boat or an RV.

I look forward to hearing more about what you decide on for a vehicle and how you manage to shed your beloved possessions--a tough thing.

And I second that the Airforums are a great resource!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:42 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Alright, so put an Airstream on a barge and travel the inland waterways.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:43 PM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Alright, so put an Airstream on a barge and travel the inland waterways.
It's been done...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ashouseboat.JPG (4.7 KB, 298 views)
Old 08-17-2009, 04:37 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've been on the Rv.net forum for years gaining knowledge and wisdom about Rv's for the day i eventually go full timing instead of weekend tent camping,couple of things i've learned is if you are living in an Rv fulltime bigger is better as a small rig will start to feel cramped after a few months,, also fulltiming is a lifestyle and you need to rid yourself of all those tiedowns and hassles that go with the sticks and bricks lifestyle,its hard to be living the carefree life of a fulltime RVer but still have to worry about paying all the bills on a house somewhere.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:39 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
It's been done...
Cool. If I could get DW interested that's one setup I have not tried yet. Unfortunately DW's idea of camping is a hotel balcony on the beach. Without wheels or oars.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Definately think about travel trailers in addition to motorhomes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
So give some thought to travel trailers too before you decide on a motorhome.
We considered travel trailers and 5th wheels. They have their merits, but we decided against it, in part, because of our wee-beasties. We aren't going to be comfortable letting them ride in the trailer while we are in transit. And trying to move them to and from the tow vehicle every time we relocate would be terribly unpleasant for everyone. Unfortunately they aren't as adaptable as dogs are. We're uncertain how they'll cope as it is.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:09 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

None of our cats ever liked to be in a car. But then, they were house cats that never left the home, except for the trips to the vets. One was paralyzed with fear. Another went bonkers. Hopefully, yours can be trained in the parked motorhome for them to get used to their new home.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:10 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We considered travel trailers and 5th wheels. They have their merits, but we decided against it, in part, because of our wee-beasties. We aren't going to be comfortable letting them ride in the trailer while we are in transit. And trying to move them to and from the tow vehicle every time we relocate would be terribly unpleasant for everyone. Unfortunately they aren't as adaptable as dogs are. We're uncertain how they'll cope as it is.

Gotcha. These are cats, right? Can see how that would be a pretty big issue.

Make sure you look at diesel pushers. I see lots of obvious fulltimers in those and they seem to work out pretty well for the fulltime set.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:32 PM   #36

I swim with a fellow who's 67 now, but right after he retired he and his wife did nothing but travel the States for 6 years in an RV. He said it was the best time of their lives together, which was a long time as they had married at 17 and 18. Anyway, now she's dying and in the last stage of cancer; but they have some wonderful memories that they shared doing this trip. Bravo for planning this RV tour ...and I, too, am jealous as all get-out!
Old 08-17-2009, 08:39 PM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Make sure you look at diesel pushers. I see lots of obvious fulltimers in those and they seem to work out pretty well for the fulltime set.
Agreed. However, Yrs... mentioned looking at "a small class A". I don't think anyone makes a diesel pusher less than 35' or so - not exactly in the small category.

While I'm certainly not unbiased (we have a 40' diesel pusher), I think Class A gassers have come a long way in recent years. We've met several folks full-timing and snowbirding in them and they seem to be doing fine.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:06 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Hopefully, yours can be trained in the parked motorhome for them to get used to their new home.
That's the idea. I'm planning to get all of us moved in to the RV and just sit for a little while to let everyone adjust. I fully expect them to punish us mercilessly. Hopefully that will only last a couple of day, but then it's time to move it on them.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:09 PM   #39

Quote:
That's the idea. I'm planning to get all of us moved in to the RV and just sit for a little while to let everyone adjust. I fully expect them to punish us mercilessly. Hopefully that will only last a couple of day, but then it's time to move it on them.
Keep us posted as to how the transition with the kitties goes...we are thinking of taking our two along with us someday!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:41 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

It does seem like gasser class A motorhomes do well enough and we know plenty of fulltimers in them - just make sure you don't overload it. Diesel pushers are great driving machines and more fuel efficient for their size, but they are much more expensive. Of course, we love ours!

Audrey

P.S. We see lots of folks RVing with cats. Cats just love to curl up at a window and watch the campground goings on.