Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Poll- burial or cremation (old thread)
Old 07-04-2016, 08:37 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Poll- burial or cremation (old thread)

This is a very old thread I found when doing a search. Since it's too old to be able to reply to it, here's the link:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ion-18090.html

I'm planning to investigate a pre-need cremation this week as a part of an update of the 'in case of' list for DW.

Some good info here from a former cemetery plot salesperson...

Any other expiration advice would be appreciated...
Attached Images
File Type: png 8b33c370-77f3-0132-438b-0ebc4eccb42f.png (678.7 KB, 5 views)
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2016, 08:39 AM   #2

I am planning on being buried in a Veterans cemetery. It's probably cheaper than a cremation for me.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:45 AM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
This is a very old thread I found when doing a search. Since it's too old to be able to reply to it, here's the link:
No problem with a new thread. Just so you (and others) know, you can still reply to an old (>1 year) thread. At the very bottom you will see this dialog box, just check the "I am aware .." option and the reply will post.
Quote:

Old Thread Warning

This Thread is more than 3926 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

I am aware that this Thread is rather old but I still want to make a reply.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:52 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Looking at the poll of the old thread, I'm surprised that over 50% chose cremation. I always thought burial is the highest choice.

Been giving my final affairs some thought recently (not out of necessity but out of preparation ).

My preference is burial. I figure, since this is my final act, don't mind a little drama .

But after reading a site somewhere (not for the faint of heart) about what happens after buried for some time in the casket (comparing wood vs metal casket) almost makes me wish to get cremated.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
No problem with a new thread. Just so you (and others) know, you can still reply to an old (>1 year) thread. At the very bottom you will see this dialog box, just check the "I am aware .." option and the reply will post.
thanks...didn't get that far in the dialog box...
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:00 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

When I'm dead I really don't give a rodent's rectum what they do to me; give me to Burke and Hare, cut me up for pet food, drop me off at the local dump, whatever.....I won't be complaining.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:07 AM   #7

When my MIL died in Pittsburgh, Her funeral was over $9K. When my wife passed away, her cremation was $1300.
My family has a large plot back in NJ, but I could not see any reason to fly my body back there to be buried.
I plan to be cremated and my ashes scattered at sea where my late wife's were. I have the coordinates.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:11 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I am planning on being buried in a Veterans cemetery. It's probably cheaper than a cremation for me.
Veterans cemeteries have columbariums too.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:29 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

1st choice for me is something natural...along these lines:

Welcome to Milton Fields | Natural Burial Grounds | Green Burial | Eco Friendly | Cemetery | Conservation Based Burial

If I am somewhere that it's not possible, then direct cremation.

The last thing I want done with the remnants of my money is have is spent on the commercialized (and in my opinion truly barbaric) business of planting corpses.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:35 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

DW & I will be cryopreserved, unless something catastrophic happens to cause our deaths.

At the very least, it will make for an interesting National Geographic article in a hundred years or so.

http://www.cryonics.org

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:51 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I am torn between the two. Being agnostic doesn't help.

CREMATION: On the one hand, I'll be dead so I won't be there. I'm tempted to tell F to just do whatever is cheaper, and usually that's cremation. If I am cremated, I don't want my ashes spread over waters such as the Gulf of Mexico. Although that sounds nice in theory, being the cause of yet more pollution of the Gulf doesn't appeal to me. The oceans are not our toilet (all jokes about the Gulf aside... ).

BURIAL: On the other hand, what if I'm wrong about not being there? I never believed in ghosts before I lived in New Orleans, but if ghosts or spirits of the dead ever existed anywhere this would be the place and I am speculating that they would need to know where their bodies are. And if I'm not wrong and I'm not around, why should I care what it costs?

Around here, pre-arrangements for things like this are generally offered by con artists of various types. Almost every year there's a story in the news where a grieving relative says that their deceased loved one had pre-arranged everything and got nothing for their money. If I made the arrangements with a mortuary, I'd do it in the last month of my life and I'd take an heir and a good aggressive lawyer with me.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:53 AM   #12

Currently prefer cheapest legal disposal method available.

That might shift to cryonics later on.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:59 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I plan to be cremated and my ashes scattered at sea where my late wife's were. I have the coordinates.
How would you do that, and have confidence that they didn't just get thrown in a garbage bin? It does seem that in modern life where families get scattered it makes little sense to have a burial plot where few of us will be able to visit anyway.

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:10 AM   #14

Your body at death is only a snapshot in time. It's generally agreed (AFAIK) that all the atoms in your body are replaced every few years. That corpse was only you for a short time.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:33 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cremation for me. No sense using good money to buy an over-priced small piece of real estate that has no income or other future beneficial use. Besides, you probably won't get the mineral rights under it either.

The parts of me that don't burn (titanium hip implant, large plate and screws in forearm) can be harvested and reused or sold as scrap metal. I'll make sure that I note that in my will.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:35 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar View Post
DW & I will be cryopreserved, unless something catastrophic happens to cause our deaths.

At the very least, it will make for an interesting National Geographic article in a hundred years or so.

http://www.cryonics.org

_B

I gave some thought to this, but 1) it's expensive and 2) I don't want to wake up and see the movie "Idiocracy" in real life. If you haven't seen it, I would recommend watching at least the first 20 minutes. Who would have thought that Mike Judge (creator of Beavis and Butthead) would be a prophet (that could very well turn out to to be right!)?
Old 07-04-2016, 01:01 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I see that in Puget Sound this will not be a huge problem.

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Ferries/inf...cialOccasions/

The folks can go on a nice ferry ride to Bremerton, lose the biodegradable urn on the way over, have a good stiff drink in Bremerton, and make it back to Seattle in time for happy hour downtown. In my community of birth it was tradition to go to some family member's house after the service and have a nice buffet and plenty of quality Bourbon. I was often pretty broken up if a close family member had died.

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:23 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

My preference would be a full fledge Viking funeral with a boat laden with possessions and lit on fire by an archer!! Followed by a big party!
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
When I'm dead I really don't give a rodent's rectum what they do to me; give me to Burke and Hare, cut me up for pet food, drop me off at the local dump, whatever.....I won't be complaining.
Nemo2, it seems as if there may be a solution for you regarding your final resting place. And, here it is:

The capybara, the world's largest rodent.

After your demise, perhaps being placed in a rodent's rectum just might be the ticket. And, of course, you would eventually be dropped off at the local dump.

"The capybara has a heavy, barrel-shaped body and short head, with reddish-brown fur on the upper part of its body that turns yellowish-brown underneath. Its sweat glands can be found in the surface of the hairy portions of its skin, an unusual trait among rodents…[ The top recorded weights are 91 kg (201 lb) for a wild female from Brazil and 73.5 kg (162 lb) for a wild male from Uruguay."

Old 07-04-2016, 02:17 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
The capybara, the world's largest rodent.
This might be a problem, since they're herbivores, but I do like the recycling aspect, a little Saṃsāra-esque.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote