Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How do/did you usually get to work, or part time work, or volunteer gig?
I drive from home and park at or near work and walk 82 77.36%
I take public transportation and walk 11 10.38%
I do both, like drive to train or bus and park there 4 3.77%
I combine public trans and bicycle 3 2.83%
I walk the whole way. 6 5.66%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Up until 6 months ago I drove on average 210 miles/day. Was in sales. Did that for over 26 yrs. Worked from home but my car was my office. The years before that had high mileage but not that high.
twolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wow you folks with ample public transportation options are lucky! Even Fuego, I didn't know you'd be able to get to work on the bus at times--living urban has some benefits.

We have virtually no public transport. I don't know anyone who rides the bus, I don't think. Bicycling is very dangerous, to my mind, but I have a couple of friends who have done it in the past, but stopped after the last fatality caused the city to bar bicycles from the main roadway they used for commuting downtown.

My daily drive is 32 miles, door to door. It takes anywhere from 45 minutes to a little over an hour, depending on traffic. I cross 5 rivers and the views are admittedly spectacular on most mornings. It doesn't suck, but I'd be happy not to do it anymore.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

I have done it all, but most of my career has been public transportation. At the moment I drive about halfway and take the train for the rest of the distance. The worst was a daily interstate bombing run from central NJ to Greenwich, CT. Don't know how I did that for 3 and a half years.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #44

Yesterday it took me 55 minutes to go 6.5 miles due to traffic. Average speed was less than 10 mph. Gotta love San Diego traffic at rush hour.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #45
Gone but not forgotten

Had to think... in my w*rking life, did all of the above. Depending on where and when.

In Maine, hitchhike
In R.I, Electric Bus
In Boston, The MTA... like Charlie
On the Vineyard... bike and ferry
In Claremont NH, shanks mare
In Falmouth MA, bike
In Greenfield, MA... auto - 65,000 miles/yr as dist. mgr. also ... snowmobile
In Saratoga, Albany NY, car
In Chicago Suburb, train, bus, taxi
In Chicago (later) limo, plane (42 states)
Last... IL own business, out of home in 1989
Old 03-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Wow you folks with ample public transportation options are lucky! Even Fuego, I didn't know you'd be able to get to work on the bus at times--living urban has some benefits.
I thought I would hate working downtown when our offices moved down there, but the direct bus from my neighborhood to my office building door was a pleasant surprise. And the employer paid in full for the bus pass (up through 2012). 4 miles, no transfers, 10-12 minutes on the bus. If I time it correctly (ie arrive at the bus stop no more than 1-2 minutes before the bus gets there) taking the bus is actually the quickest way to work since I don't have to walk as much.

Speaking of walking, I wish I had the option to walk the 4 miles to work, or bike them - not an option on the shortest route, and the longer detour routes to downtown have similar impassible points (no shoulder, edge of road up against bridge abutments, pedestrians have to walk in the travel lane with busy traffic going 60 miles per hour, occasional ped deaths occur all too frequently ).

Although we are living in an urban area, all I see when I look out the back sliding glass door is a quarter mile of lake, trees, water fowl, a guy fishing, and a canoe. Kind of the best of both worlds (urban and rural) and without a steep price tag.

However today was a day where I was glad to have the car just for the short drive to school. I had to pick up a sick child mid-day, and she probably couldn't have walked the few blocks home based on what happened right after she got here (eww).
Old 03-13-2013, 05:28 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My commute takes from a few minutes to a couple of hours, depending on which clinic, hospital or other setting I need to go to.

It takes up to 2 days to reach some cities abroad where I do Missionary work (plane plus car). Maybe 3 days when I go the Altiplano in Bolivia in November/December 2013, when some horse riding may be needed to reach the most remote communities, some of them have never seen a doctor... This Bolivian trip may be my toughest trip ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
IF you still work, at least part time, or do volunteer work, do you usually drive to work, take public trans, or a combination (Park and Ride). Poll above.

Mod edited to add, according to Haha's request in post #8 below: This poll is for anyone who has ever worked, if you are working now, use that as your reference, if you are retired use the dominant way you commuted during you working days.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote