Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How do/did you usually get to work, or part time work, or volunteer gig?
I drive from home and park at or near work and walk 82 77.36%
I take public transportation and walk 11 10.38%
I do both, like drive to train or bus and park there 4 3.77%
I combine public trans and bicycle 3 2.83%
I walk the whole way. 6 5.66%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Poll:Commuting Poll
Old 03-09-2013, 11:22 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll:Commuting Poll

IF you still work, at least part time, or do volunteer work, do you usually drive to work, take public trans, or a combination (Park and Ride). Poll above.

Mod edited to add, according to Haha's request in post #8 below: This poll is for anyone who has ever worked, if you are working now, use that as your reference, if you are retired use the dominant way you commuted during you working days.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2013, 11:49 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Still w#rkin'. Drive everyday 'cause no other viable option.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:58 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Public transportation, which work pays for, then in about 1.5 years, none of the above, I'll be able to work from my home at any location I choose.
plex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:03 AM   #4

Commute is 3.4 miles, a major plus for this job. Weather permitting I ride a motorcycle, otherwise drive.

The roads are too narrow and hilly, no shoulders, to even think about walking or riding a bicycle. If I did that I'd have a life expectancy of about 20 minutes.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
IF you still work, at least part time, or do volunteer work, do you usually drive to work, take public trans, or a combination (Park and Ride). Poll above.
I am retired now, but before I retired I drove to work. If I were commuting now, from where I live, I cold use public trans or walk, depending on where my office was.

Ha
Old 03-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I drive. It is about 55 miles away from where we live, no public transportation available. I only go in twice a week at most. When I worked full time I drove but was about 25 miles away from work.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Being retired, I didn't vote. But when I was working, I drove in every day.

It was only a mile and a half, but not safely walkable (freeway bridge over the RR tracks with no sidewalk, and so on). Interestingly, the drive took 6 minutes at 5:55 AM depending on how many of the 6 stoplights I made. In the afternoon rush hour, the traffic piled up to squeeze over that bridge meant that it often took 35 minutes or more.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Being retired, I didn't vote. But when I was working, I drove in every day.

It was only a mile and a half, but not safely walkable (freeway bridge over the RR tracks with no sidewalk, and so on). Interestingly, the drive took 6 minutes at 5:55 AM depending on how many of the 6 stoplights I made. In the afternoon rush hour, the traffic piled up to squeeze over that bridge meant that it often took 35 minutes or more.
I wasn't thinking very clearly when I made this poll. It should have been for anyone who has ever worked, if you are working now, use that as your reference, if you are retired use the dominant way you commuted during you working days. Could you or one of the troops fix it? (You have already fixed my omissions, thank you.) The title needs to be altered too to remove any reference to "those still working." Just commuting poll. I must have made it just before going to bed, and my mind was already asleep.

Also, it must have been very frustrating to spend 35 minutes traveling 1 1/2 miles during the drive home!

Ha
Old 03-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #9

I was doing about 75miles/day commute, wasting 1.5 hrs in the car. Glad that is gone. No public transportation available, even if it was I doubt the schedules would have been compatible.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Since I don't work anymore, I responded on behalf of my wife. We elected to live only half a mile form her work. She can either walk or take the subway to go to work. Her employer subsidizes her monthly subway pass.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
Administrator

When I worked in NYC, I walked to the train station from my house, rode the train in to Grand Central and then walked to my mid-town office. It was two hours door-to-door. Now I drive 50 miles to Hartford and park next to my office. Usually takes one hour; longer if the stupid drivers cause an accident. I prefer riding the train to driving.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I walk to work, about 10 minutes each way. My wife's work is about 15 minutes though she often takes the train. Our location is a HUGE factor in our staying in our one bedroom apartment for the last 5 and our hope to stay the same for the next 5.
er33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #13

I didn't see a way to enter my situation. I can either take public transportation (plus a walk on each end) or can drive and park at my work. I am trying to use the public transpiration option more, but in bad weather or stressful day requiring early arrival or late departure then driving is a better option. It's been a awful lot of those days recently.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I am retired. During my last decade of work, I did fly to work quite a bit, but that was not included in the options!

For most of my career, I worked at two hospitals several kilometers apart, both within 5 km of my home, but there were times when I had to travel between them, to other locations, and, most importantly, rush to the hospital urgently in the middle of the night. I did walk to work a couple of times when I knew what my day had in store, but some of the journey was through a neighborhood where I did not feel safe. So on a day when I was not traveling, my default was to drive.
I do not miss paying for hospital parking!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #15
Administrator

I am retired, but have done a volunteer gig 2 days a week, 3 miles from home, and I rode my bike. This was possible because the town I live in has off-road, paved bike trails. I wouldn't cycle on roads in rush hour, although I used to cycle over 5 miles to work each day when we lived in Scotland, and that could be scary especially during the long dark rainy winter months. For all my other work locations in the UK I car-pooled with 3 others.

All the time I worked in the USA I used to drive to work.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I wasn't thinking very clearly when I made this poll. It should have been for anyone who has ever worked, if you are working now, use that as your reference, if you are retired use the dominant way you commuted during you working days. Could you or one of the troops fix it? (You have already fixed my omissions, thank you.) The title needs to be altered too to remove any reference to "those still working." Just commuting poll. I must have made it just before going to bed, and my mind was already asleep.

Also, it must have been very frustrating to spend 35 minutes traveling 1 1/2 miles during the drive home!

Ha
(Fixed as requested, I hope). Yes, it was very much so! We had "Flextime" so I could either drive to work during rush hour, or drive home during rush hour. I was at my desk by 6 AM so that the frustrating rush hour drive would be in the afternoon, because when it was in the morning I was often late. In the afternoon, I'd turn the radio on and try to unwind during my drive, but other drivers were so ruthless in trying to advance their position on that bridge that it was hard to relax sometimes. I was glad that I lived so close to work, though. When I got home, I took delight in kicking off my shoes and relaxing, knowing that most of my co-workers had another 30-60 minutes to go before they would get home.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bicycle or walking, depending on weather and how late I am getting 3 little sailors ready.
sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd have to vote for almost all of the buttons! I live about 2.4 miles away, and there is a wonderful bike path I can take the entire way.

However, since my fall in January due to glare ice, I now only bicycle commute when there is no ice or snow on the ground.

Depending on what I have going on after work, and the weather conditions, I'll either drive or take the bus. I'll frequently walk home if I take the bus to work, as it's actually cheaper for me to drive than it is to take the bus both ways.
Marathoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #19

I unfortunately am no better off than when I was w*rking - I drove stinkin' rush hour traffic nearly every day (telecommuted 3 or 4 days a month). Now I drive to most of my volunteer gigs, fortunately rarely involving rush hour (just enough to remind me of one of my favorite retirement perks). I could walk to some of the volunteer gigs I do at my church but generally find some reason not to.
MBAustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I am retired but answered based on the volunteer work part of the poll's question, not how I got to work in my working days (because I replied to the poll well before the OP added the disclaimer). I drive to those events.

When I was working, I used public transit (trains) in various combinations. For all but one of my 23 years of work, it was only trains, as I walked to them at my home end and at the office end. For one year, though, I had to drive to different train stations at my home end to begin my trip.

I hated the commute more and more as time went by. And the commute only got worse in the last 7 years of work because it became longer and more tiring. Not even reducing it to less than 5 days a week for most of those 7 years was good enough. It kept me around a little longer, which was useful for the company stock value but not good enough to keep me around for good.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote