I'm pretty sure I have it made 103 45.58%
I'm on shaky ground 10 4.42%
I'm looking for a job 2 0.88%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Poll:Do you have it made?
Old 06-06-2011, 06:46 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Poll:Do you have it made?

I was edging my sidewalk and thinking about how my retirement was going the other day and this thought popped into my head "sh!t you got it made dude". About a nanosecond later I was wondering if I had jynxed myself. It got me to wondering how others here viewed their position.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmfromTx View Post
I was edging my sidewalk and thinking about how my retirement was going the other day and this thought popped into my head "sh!t you got it made dude". About a nanosecond later I was wondering if I had jynxed myself. It got me to wondering how others here viewed their position.
Around our house it's "Life is good", along with "This is aloha" and "High-five!"

I think we hear them all on at least a daily basis.

My first post on this board was "This seems too easy and I'm having too much fun. What am I missing?"

The answer was "Not a thing. Party on..."

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

My old school called up to see if I'd want to fill in for a teacher going out on maternity leave for a couple of months, and without being too explicit, no thanks, that would seriously screw up a really good thing.

Knock on wood, it's made in the shade around this casa.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
My old school called up to see if I'd want to fill in for a teacher going out on maternity leave for a couple of months, ...
The problem would be arranging to hold classes on the beach for those days when the surf is up. I think you'd have the student's support, but the school-bus fees might start adding up.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:50 PM   #5

For as long as my health holds out, I have it made.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Walt-on-bike.jpg (115.4 KB, 73 views)
Old 06-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've got it made since I ERed in late 2008. I come and go as I please, I don't report to anyone, more than enough money comes in from my investments to pay my bills. No more commute, no alarm clock, my health is good, my car is good, my finances are good. I have enough hobbies and activities to keep me as busy as I like. My ladyfriend lives nearby.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:54 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Yep, have it made. Not rich by any means but have plenty of everything I need. I'm very greatful.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:59 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do you have it made?

We reached our FIRE goal and so far I'd say yes, we've got it made.

Now, time will tell if our plan works well. So...ask me again in 30 years.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:16 PM   #9
Administrator

I have sufficient money to live in the way I would like, and then some. But even more important, I am truly happy and living a dream come true. I do what I want and I report to no one. My beloved and I are together. So far, my health is OK and what more could one want? I was Want2Retire, and now I am blissfully retired.

So yes, I'd say I've got it made.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:21 PM   #10
Administrator

After posting, I read this post earlier in the thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I've got it made since I ERed in late 2008. I come and go as I please, I don't report to anyone, more than enough money comes in from my investments to pay my bills. No more commute, no alarm clock, my health is good, my car is good, my finances are good. I have enough hobbies and activities to keep me as busy as I like. My ladyfriend lives nearby.
That's what I was trying to get across! You said it so well.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:18 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm pretty sure I have it made.

Although it is looking increasingly like FIRE will be early 2013 rather than the hoped for 2012, it will take something pretty catastrophic (or extremely interesting) to keep me in the w*rkforce after that.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:49 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

We say this every day, especially when we see friends and neighbors who are frazzled from work with no end in sight.

Realistically we spent much less then they did and paid way more attention to building retirement assets but we still feel incredibly lucky.

Also, we don't worry about 30 years from now. Since DH followed me in retirement 2.5 years ago our net worth has increased and we haven't scrimped a bit. If we have to we'll sell the house and live in a small apartment if we start running out of money. With the proceeds from my house I could live in an apartment in this area for 25 years and not have to pay property taxes and maintenance. That mindset takes a lot of worry away from us about the future.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:24 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Not yet. But I feel good about being on the rite track. Once I FIRE (2012?), I will "have it made".
Old 06-07-2011, 05:49 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I feel incredibly fortunate to have been able to leave megacorp almost four years ago. That was a situation that was making me miserable, and almost daily I think about how happy I am now! Despite having retired into a fairly severe recession, everything seems to be working out and I have more confidence now about the future.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:58 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Although newly "retired" (at 48, I'm still not comfortable with that word)... I feel incredibly fortunate.

Have I "got it made"? Gosh I hope so... because, even after only being gone 3 weeks, I can't ever see myself going back. Just yesterday a former coworker asked how I was settling into "retired life" and my honest response was... I don't know how I lasted 20 years doing what I was doing. I don't miss it... in - the - slightest
Old 06-07-2011, 06:07 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Let's see....do I have it made?

Slept until 8 ~ check!

Nothing that I HAVE to do today ~ check!

Healthy ~ check!

DW & DD are "functioning within desired parameters"! ~ check!

Sun came up again today ~ check!

Coffee & newspaper waiting on the deck ~ check!

Hmmmmm.......seems good to me so far....but I may have to wait until after my mid day nap before making such an important decision
Old 06-07-2011, 06:14 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmfromTx View Post
I was edging my sidewalk and thinking about how my retirement was going the other day and this thought popped into my head "sh!t you got it made dude".
I frequently have that same reaction. The latest was yesterday. DW and I were walking the dogs at about 7:00 PM and we crossed a dozen or so young workers trudging home from the job. I leaned over to DW and said, "man, even after 6 years seeing them makes me thank my lucky stars I am retired."
Old 06-07-2011, 08:08 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Got it made ---
I like my job (federal) and just turned over 25 years so I am in a win -- win as far as I can see..... I have enough should they really start paring down the Federal Gov. that I could live ok if they did offer early retirement (VERA) (no mortgage helps) and if not offered then I just keep working in a job I like until eligible for pension at 56.6 years old. (13 years away ) 1 kid graduates college in a year and the other (last) just started but her college tuition is all sewn up.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:12 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Not enough options.....

I do not yet 'have it made' because I am still working after getting a wife and two kids in the family unit that I had not planned for awhile back...

But, I 'have it made' because I now have a loving wife and two great kids I just don't yet have enough to retire and retirement is going to be pushed back maybe 5 years or so...

Not on shaky ground or looking for work (I am working)
Old 06-07-2011, 08:26 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
"This seems too easy and I'm having too much fun. What am I missing?"

The answer was "Not a thing. Party on..."
Exactly my sentiment. It still seems almost like an out of body experience though.