Poll for Retirees: What's Most Important to a Successful Retirement?

What are the most important ingredients to a fulfilling retirement (pick 3 or less)?

• Money

Votes: 128 72.7%
  • Activities (hobbies, volunteering, travel, etc.)

Votes: 71 40.3%
  • Family

Votes: 56 31.8%
  • Friends

Votes: 47 26.7%
  • Health (exercise, mental & physical health)

Votes: 156 88.6%
  • Location (climate, relocation, etc.)

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • Spiritual Life

Votes: 10 5.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.3%

• Total voters

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Of all the ingredients for a successful retirement, which have you found to be most important? I've made this a multiple choice poll, but please limit your choice(s) to no more than three or the poll won't have any meaning.

If you choose "other" - I hope you'll explain.

And Happy Thanksgiving! :flowers:

Given the choice, I'd pick health, health, and health. None of the others are worth a patootie without it.

Amethyst

Not FIRE'd yet so I didn't vote.

But all of the survey items look pretty important to me.

To bad the poll mechanism does not have a "rank in importance" option.

Not sure which category this fits in, but I think the most important item is the ability to adapt to ER. If you are bored or stressed from guilt it ain't no fun.

Health, Wealth, and a love for life (activities that you enjoy doing). Activities for me also includes spending time with family and friends.

The most important is health. If you don't have that you can't enjoy the others on the list.

I checked Health, Money, and Other.

Health: This one is pretty obvious and I think it is the most important.

Money: I think that with adequate money, one can relocate (if desired), or engage in activities (if desired). I don't think you necessarily need a lot of money, but you might if you have a burning desire to travel constantly or take flying lessons, for example. Most of us probably don't really need to engage in expensive activities to be happy after a lifetime of LBYM, but only you know how much you will want to spend. A good retirement should mean that you aren't worrying about how to pay the electric bill, though.

Other:

(1) I think it is pretty important to know yourself and know what you want to do with the rest of your time on earth. Maybe I should have checked "spiritual life" to cover that aspect.

(2) I think it is also important not to be overburdened with responsibilities - - if you have to spend more of your time than you might like in caring for animals or kids, or maintaining a huge money pit of a home, I would think it might be hard to get the maximum enjoyment out of retirement.

Last edited:
For me:

Health, money, and activities (including spending time with friends and family). By "activities" I mean the ability to occupy one's free time in a meaningful and fulfilling way.

Health, money, and activities (including spending time with friends and family). By "activities" I mean the ability to occupy one's free time in a meaningful and fulfilling way.
I'm not retired and therefore didn't vote (in my own poll!), but I think those would be my choices.

Actually, IMO money is in a different category. Sort of a license to enjoy retirement or a prerequisite, but not an end in itself.

With money established, I think health and activities will be most important. In other words, if all you have is the money to retire without any of the others, you'll be miserable eventually.

One day I'll know...

The only thing standing in your way is the guy in your bathroom mirror...:cool:
I'm almost there. Once I figure out what I want to do next at least in broad terms, I'll be on the way.:whistle:

I voted health, family and activities. I'm not FIREd yet, but that's how I see it. Of course, if money is insufficient, then my three choices are difficult to achieve or continue to enjoy long term. The amount of money required is really an individual choice and is determined by the balance of the other choices.

R

I didn't check Money, but only because it's just a way for me to have the level of Location and Activities which I want. Health is #1, of course. Fortunately, since I don't live in the US and have an astonishing medical package as part of my pension, I don't need to reserve any significant amount of money for that.

Friends, health, and money, in that order.

I'll simply say "balance".

Money might make a big health problem manageable. If your activities require good health, that could take out two birds with one stone. Even someone in such a miserable-looking state as Steven Hawking seems to be pretty 'engaged' in life. They can all be pretty inter-related for most of us. And even though we all want our nest egg to be preserved, I bet most of us would find a way to be happy on less - poor and happy is preferable to the alternative of poor and miserable. Might as well make the most of it.

-ERD50

FWIW, I saw a study done back in the early 70s that looked at retired senior military officers (Generals and Admirals).
They found that the average lifespan was just over two years beyond retirement.

Made it pretty clear to me that those folks had made their work the total consuming focus of their lives (similar to some politicians and entertainers), and had never taken the time to develop other interests, hobbies, etc.

When it came time to retire (and the military has fairly strict rules about when you must hang it up), they were utterly lost, and unable to deal with all that free time.

I took the lesson to heart, and have so many (relatively low cost) interests that there's no time to do them justice. Retirement is a very happy time for me.

FWIW, I saw a study done back in the early 70s that looked at retired senior military officers (Generals and Admirals).
They found that the average lifespan was just over two years beyond retirement.
If you have a link or a citation to that study I'd love to read it.

I chose Other as one of my choices and for me that means planning for retirement. I couldn't imagine retiring without significant long term planning for that event. Health and Money were my other choices.

Voted for money, family and health. Money makes it all possible. Health is essential for a good life. Family makes it all worthwhile. If there was a 4th choice, I would have gone for activities. My volunteer work keeps me engaged in life and part of something bigger than my own little world. You know, kitties, do-gooder stuff and all that jazz.

Peace,

Purron

Health, money and other. Health is a must otherwise it is going to be really terrible everyday. Money is another must - not wealthy but adequate to maintain the lifestyle I've chosen - otherwise why should I retire? Other means enjoying time on my own. Family and friends have their own priorities and may leave you for various reasons. There will be many times when I have to spend the day or days alone and it is important that I like myself and enjoy being with myself alone. Of course, I spend a lot of time with my DH but still there are many hours in a day when I am on my own or even a week or so like when he travels.

I put health at #1. I found it hard to check money because it's vague. If "money" means having the basics for survival, of course I'd check that. But if "money" means having money for discretionary spending, then I'm not so sure that I wouldn't put family and friends first. I'd rather live a modest life but healthy and in the company of those who I love and cherish than a wealthy life in ill health and alone.

Though I am only semi-retired, I allowed myself to vote. Health, money, and family, in that order. Those are most important for a happy retirement.

Hey, wait! The above make for a happy working life too. :cool:

PS. Provided that you don't have a work environment like Brewer's, of course. :)

Back
Top Bottom