Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Poll: How happy are you in your ER stage?
0-2 years into ER, happier than expected 30 18.29%
3-5 years into ER, happier than expected 20 12.20%
6+ years into ER, happier than expected 32 19.51%
0-2 years into ER, neither happier nor less happy than expected 42 25.61%
3-5 years into ER, neither happier nor less happy than expected 18 10.98%
6+ years into ER, neither happier nor less happy than expected 12 7.32%
0-2 years into ER, less happy than expected 7 4.27%
3-5 years into ER, less happy than expected 1 0.61%
6+ years into ER, less happy than expected 2 1.22%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2014, 09:42 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Oh ya, Lsb... First of all don't immediately get out of bed when you wake up...slowly transition by catching some morning news while half awake in bed ... Then get Krueg machine warmed up around 8, and head out to the driveway to pick up the morning newspaper... Drink 2 cups of Java while reading paper, then eat breakfast and then scan the internet and obligatory emails and forums with post coffee soda. Next thing it's you know it's 11. Shower cleanup and hit morning walk and workout at local SNAP fitness and then it's 1 when you get home... Eat late lunch, check up on cnbc and internet and it's 2:30. Go walk and play 9 holes of golf come home and it's time to fix supper. A few hours with GF who just got off work and then come home and I just barely have time to watch one of my season long hockey bets before it's time to watch Oreilly Factor while I am drifting off to sleep for the night. That's M-F as I do more stuff on the weekend...last month I put a floating perrigo floor in my small 4X6 downstairs bathroom... Probably an 8 hour job...But I'm such a piddler it took 3 weeks to get it all done as I had to work it around my routine!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're awake before 8

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2014, 09:49 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
You're awake before 8

Funny you mention that, I know you are having fun with the post but after 2 years I still can't sleep in!!!!!!!
Kimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:12 AM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo View Post

Funny you mention that, I know you are having fun with the post but after 2 years I still can't sleep in!!!!!!!
If I don't set an alarm, I start living 25-26 hour days, staying up later each night and awakening later each day. That just doesn't mesh well with the rest of the world!

So I have an alarm that just plays soft, soothing birdsongs. For me that is enough to do the job, and it is a nice gentle way for me to transition from sleeping to being awake.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:18 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Oh ya, Lsb... First of all don't immediately get out of bed when you wake up...slowly transition by catching some morning news while half awake in bed ... Then get Krueg machine warmed up around 8, and head out to the driveway to pick up the morning newspaper... Drink 2 cups of Java while reading paper, then eat breakfast and then scan the internet and obligatory emails and forums with post coffee soda. Next thing it's you know it's 11. Shower cleanup and hit morning walk and workout at local SNAP fitness and then it's 1 when you get home... Eat late lunch, check up on cnbc and internet and it's 2:30. Go walk and play 9 holes of golf come home and it's time to fix supper. A few hours with GF who just got off work and then come home and I just barely have time to watch one of my season long hockey bets before it's time to watch Oreilly Factor while I am drifting off to sleep for the night. That's M-F as I do more stuff on the weekend...last month I put a floating perrigo floor in my small 4X6 downstairs bathroom... Probably an 8 hour job...But I'm such a piddler it took 3 weeks to get it all done as I had to work it around my routine!
Slightly different activities (no golf for me for example) but we are definitely on the same page on the art of piddling around. I can take all day to change the oil on a lawn mower.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:26 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
If I don't set an alarm, I start living 25-26 hour days, staying up later each night and awakening later each day. That just doesn't mesh well with the rest of the world!

So I have an alarm that just plays soft, soothing birdsongs. For me that is enough to do the job, and it is a nice gentle way for me to transition from sleeping to being awake.
I guess because even in all my working years I never used an alarm, I was up between 4 and 5 whether I needed to be or not and I don't think it is going to end anytime soon!
Kimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:05 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
You're awake before 8

I wish I could sleep longer but I am stirring way before that. I have been in bed since 10pm...if I piddled longer than that in bed my back would be so stiff I wouldn't be able to bend over to pick up the newspaper. That would ruin the day!

Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:07 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Slightly different activities (no golf for me for example) but we are definitely on the same page on the art of piddling around. I can take all day to change the oil on a lawn mower.

I think retirees should band together, vote and abolish day light savings time. I would much rather have that hour on the back end of the day than the front end....it takes too long to get going in the morning.

Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote