Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What's the best aspect of retirement for you? No work or free time?
Not having to go to work 44 55.70%
Having more free time to do whatever I like 31 39.24%
Other 4 5.06%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Since I retired I am starting to wonder if perhaps I became one of those awful bosses we keep referring to? ...............Has anyone else reexamined their career and might do it a little differently if they had a second chance(not that anyone would want one of course)?
Or are all the problems with work someone else's fault. Just wondering.
Toward the end, I started to see myself as the sponge that sopped up the sh*t that fell downhill so that it didn't splatter on my staff. If cynicism includes feeling your role is to protect your staff from the bureaucratic BS and allow them to get something done, then I became a bit of a cynic. I also became the guy who wasn't afraid to give a honest opinion, even if was contrary to what the 'brass' thought. Many of these opinions were formed after listening to opinions of my team. Isn't FI wonderful?

Was I one of the awful ones? I don't know. I do know my former staff members are quite friendly when I run into them and (even though I retired 4 years ago) I get a few requests for references.

That part of my life is over and the new part does not involve naval gazing so I may never know if I was part of the problem or the solution. Like my T-shirt says "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate" and I have precipitated out.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2011, 10:20 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'm still looking for a company where work is suspended due to high surf. Until then I'll remain "self-employed".
In our town, people would call in sick when there was fresh powder snow on the three in-city ski areas. When it was raining, long days would compensate for those days off.

I voted more time off because I really enjoyed my j*b. It wasn't until several years of pursuing whatever I want to every day that I developed a distaste for the overhead of w*rking.

I used to say I was a private portfolio manager when people asked what I did all day. Now I can claim to be a freelance forum contributor.

Sometimes when people persist, I say that we are independently wealthy, because that is what FIRE is all about. Most people get very quiet when I say that, so I only use it sparingly.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #43

I liked my job, so I voted more free time.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:47 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
The guy who wasn't afraid to call a spade....The CEO seemed generally OK wih this and it was kind of fun. But not as much fun as ER
I developed a distaste for incompetence in my 5th year of w*rk. I took some courses that helped me tolerate mediocrity and eventually I discovered a way to motivate even the most unmotivated. After that, my career took off. And life was much easier. But after 35 years, I figured that the man had gotten his pound of flesh.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:42 AM   #45

Quote:
Since I retired I am starting to wonder if perhaps I became one of those awful bosses we keep referring to? i think I may have become quite negative and cynical in the last few years of work. It would seem to be quite unlikely if noboby on this forum who was in a position of authority prior to retirement might actually have been or became a poor boss. Has anyone else reexamined their career and might do it a little differently if they had a second chance(not that anyone would want one of course)?
Or are all the problems with work someone else's fault. Just wondering.
At my former company, we had for a few years a 360-review where someone could complete a form with a bunch of questions graded on a 1-7 basis (agree strongly, agree, disagree, etc.) along with free response comments about anyone up the chain of command. This was optional, of course, and anonymous, with the handwritten answers changed to typewritten ones to protect the handwriting. These forms, if completed, were not part of one's official evaluation but included as an addendum.

I completed a few of them for my bosses and got a few from my subordinates. The feedback was positive but I did make a note of any (mild) constructive criticism.

When I switched to working part-time, my supervisory duties over others diminished for some of those years. But not being in the office every day had to be a plus for those working for me whether they liked me or not!

I was considered a go-to guy for most of my years, so I always tried to send them away happy even if I did not know the answer to their questions or had to send them elsewhere or did not have the answer they wanted to hear (none of which thankfully happened a lot).
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #46

A prior co-worker once made the comment to me "I am so busy now I don't know when I ever found time to go to our paying job."

There are enough other things to do in life without having that time being depleted with going to a paying job. On the flip side, my DW once had a patient who had taken early retirement and later found he lacked the money to travel and see his grandchildren.

Finding the fine line between more time and enough money will always be a challenge.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not having to go to work was what I voted for.

Towards the last few months of my job, the workload and pressure became heavier and heavier, a s did the almost daily calls for status reports from the boss - which meant a lot of work both during and after office hours ( I was responsible for sales in Asia ).

The commute also seemed to become more hectic, with what seemed to be more and more of the worst drivers in the US using the freeways as drag racing strips. And not a single CHP to be seen ( probably all at Dunkin' Donuts ).

Yeah, these days I wake up and smile to myself at the thought of not having to dress up, go to the car and wander out into the war zone of California Freeways.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:20 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
For me, it was not having to go to work. Specifically, and as I have mentioned many, MANY times in threads here adn in other forums and blogs, it was the COMMUTE, the dang COMMUTE, which I had to get rid of, and totally.
That was a huge part in the decision to retire and move. D.C. area traffic is notorious and it wasn't until we moved that I realized how nice it is to not have to plan our daily lives around it.

The other issue was dealing with the bureaucratic BS. I worked in computer forensics, which of course is a fast-changing field and I got tired of having to justify ongoing training, and equipment and software upgrades. The last time we bought new hardware the vendor upgraded the order because they no longer made what had finally made it through the procurement process. I loved the work, but the workplace made me leave.

So for now, while I do have a job, it also has a 3.4 mile commute, it pays surprisingly well for what I do, the workload is light (yesterday at work I read Speedlights & Speedlites: Creative Photography at Lightspeed) the hours suit me, and I can get time off when I want it. What's not to like?

And I've learned something about job stress. Next week will be a huge GAO inspection that almost everyone is stressed over. But I'm just a contractor and I have my KMA hat so I don't care. What's the worst that could happen? I could get fired. If that happens I'll tour some local art galleries and see if it is realistic to try my hand at selling locally-made photographs of local landmarks. Or I'll go to the local university, take some classes in photography, and find out why my prints aren't selling.

Or I'll just go fishing.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:26 AM   #49
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
So there ya go. I still wonder how he managed to arrange that cushy situation!
He knew Nords?
Old 07-20-2011, 09:57 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Looks like I'm with the majority as I voted for not having to work!
Old 07-21-2011, 12:25 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Toward the end, I started to see myself as the sponge that sopped up the sh*t that fell downhill so that it didn't splatter on my staff. If cynicism includes feeling your role is to protect your staff from the bureaucratic BS and allow them to get something done, then I became a bit of a cynic. I also became the guy who wasn't afraid to give a honest opinion, even if was contrary to what the 'brass' thought. Many of these opinions were formed after listening to opinions of my team. Isn't FI wonderful? ...
Agree, sounds a lot like my last 5 years on the j*b. I had already retired at 50 from MegaCorp. as had my DW. I found a smaller company with a unique technology that actually wanted me badly to work there. They paid the freight etc. for our move half way across the country (back to where my kids and many friends lived as we had both w*rked in the area several years previously. Being FI at the time created a unique ability to not cave into the Corp. BS or to poor managers. I saw it as part of my role to filter a lot of the crap that flows through an organization so my people would not have to deal with it and could just do their job the best they could. I was also a mentor to many young managers which gave me a positive outlet for my 30+ years of experience with a couple of different MegaCorps. and especially dealing with management issues and more technical issues with the Quality process and regulatory compliance.

I tried to retire twice in my last j*b but various things kept happening to either me or the local site that compelled me to stay around and make sure "my people" were left alone to do their j*bs and to have some consistency of management directives and styles. I think it worked out well all things considered. I also salted away an other couple of $100k during the process and delayed living off my investments for a while to let them grow a bit more.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:09 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Here is the answer.

Maslow's hierarchy of needs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes we have all heard of it... and it is remarkable that it seems to provide insight into one answering this question for their situation.

Assuming one is FI... does work provide for Friendship/Social Interaction (mid-level) or above? Many have level 4 covered by family, friends, church, social organizations, etc..

I suspect most (that really do not need the money) and work are seeking level 4 or 5.

Of course, there are some who get moderate level 4 or 5 and use the extra money to feed their travel habit or to buy toys.

BTW - Volunteer work fits into this model... providing various amounts of level 3 through 4 or 5.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:51 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

And sleep is so much better - my brain has learned it does not have to get up to go any where early !