Poll:Relocate after ER?

Upon ER, will/ did you plan on moving your primary residence?

• Stay put

Votes: 61 35.3%
  • Relocate

Votes: 89 51.4%
  • Would like to relocate, but family, etc are keeping us grounded

Votes: 23 13.3%

• Total voters

Ronstar

Moderator Emeritus
I'm trying to convince DW to downsize and move to Arizona full time.

Just wondering what the membership did or plan to do after retirement.

1. Stay in current location.
2. Relocate.
3. Would like to relocate but family or other issues prevent relocation

Last edited:
Relocate

I lived in the San Fernando Valley for 30 years. When I retired I moved to Ventura County to a small (30,000) town.
The climate is more reasonable, the air is cleaner, I am out from LA City and County sucking all my money for heaven knows what.
We feel it is the best kept secret in Southern California. People are so busy driving from LA to Santa Barbara the blow right by us.

Two conflicting views here. I voted the third option, but it's a little more complicated.

I would love to relocate. I've lived pretty much everywhere and there are plenty of places where I know I'd be happier living.

But DW has lived her entire life within 25 miles of where we are now. All her friends are here, all her associations, all her memories, etc. She would be like a fish out of water anywhere else. Even though she enjoys traveling, coming back is always a big relief to her.

Since it's a fine place to live, I can't really object and out of consideration for her I'm willing to stay put.

I lived in the San Fernando Valley for 30 years. When I retired I moved to Ventura County to a small (30,000) town.
The climate is more reasonable, the air is cleaner, I am out from LA City and County sucking all my money for heaven knows what.
We feel it is the best kept secret in Southern California. People are so busy driving from LA to Santa Barbara the blow right by us.

Thousand Oaks was the best kept secret until the Valley/LA influence moved north in the 1980's. then we moved.

I'd like to get out of Houston (The Woodlands area) as where we are is getting too crowded, but DW won't budge.

We moved from near Washington, D.C. to the panhandle of West Virginia mainly to escape the miserable traffic there, and partially for lower taxes. Friends & family were surprised, we heard a lot of "You're moving WHERE?" Hey, it's not all Appalachia. We have reliable electricity (more so than at the old house) indoor plumbing and broadband internet. And there is no way we could afford the nice house we're living in at the old location.

The location was carefully chosen to be within a reasonable driving distance of almost all relatives. Then a half-sister & her family moved four hours away to DE, then my older sister & hubby followed, then my younger sister. The younger one later moved nine hours away to GA to be near her grandchildren.

The lesson learned was to not pick a retirement location based on what other people are doing or say they will do. I'd much rather be in a a warmer climate like one of the Carolinas but DW would be most unhappy moving that far from her family. And really, the winter here is usually only real nasty about two, maybe three months of the year so we'll probably be here until we move to a CCRC.

Still working but went ahead and made the relocation move in 2015 since we knew we didn't want to be shoveling snow in retirement (6-18 mos from now). We only have the summer heat to deal with now.

I bought property and starting building in anticipation of moving in ER. Turns out I had to put in a few more years, but was able to telecommute and move anyway.

I'm not sure why what any of us did has any bearing on your life choices, but maybe you have a reason.

Stayed put

We planned to relocate, in order to get away from the catastrophe here which was constantly in our face following Hurricane Katrina. We had to stay for four years and work, in order to qualify for retirement.

During those years we invested a lot of time in choosing the right town for us, getting to know that town, fixing up our present homes to sell, and so on.

Then at the last moment F decided he didn't want to move. I wondered if he had lost his mind! :LOL: Still, I did not want to move without him, so we stayed put. For us, it turned out to be the right decision.

Last edited:
Kids are in excellent schools, doing numerous activities around here, have friends here, and they have moved a lot already due to my military career. So we are here for the foreseeable future, despite being in a very HCOL area.

Thought about moving but decided to buy a 2nd home instead. I'm gradually moving closer to a 50/50 split between the two. I love my condo on the coast but also enjoy playing golf with old friends at my primary location. I feel I have the best of both worlds for now. Not ruling out a permanent move tho.

WE live in a beautiful place with a mild 4 seasons so we are happy. I have lived in many places and by far this is the nicest.

I'm trying to convince DW to downsize and move to Arizona full time.

Just wondering what the membership did or plan to do after retirement.

1. Stay in current location.
2. Relocate.
3. Would like to relocate but family or other issues prevent relocation
4. Do what DW wants...HWHL

FIFY.

My advice is pick #4.

Moved out from expensive CA bay area to Atlanta metro. Save a bunch on taxes and eliminated the mortgage. Having no mortgage is an important component in getting income below the 400% FPL.

Relocated (Sorta)

We moved about 30 miles the week I FIRED. We wanted to stay in the area but we downsized. The move put us closer to family and friends.

FN

I relocated from South Florida to the FL Panhandle.

My circumstances are probably not a useful data point for you, though - widowed with 2 school-age kids.

Much to like about SoFla, but a place to raise kids as a single parent is not one of them, IMO. Evaluated going back "home" to Phoenix, but it's too different a place now compared to when I left in 1997. As part of the decision process, made the kids spend a month there with relatives in July, and they decided Florida was better ;).

Do miss some of the friends in SoFla, the familiarity after 17 years, and the convenience of a large metro area. Not much else, though.

Kids are doing very well in this smaller, slower paced environment, so I made a good choice. Staying after the last one leaves is still an open question.

Didn't vote. We are still discussing this issue in preparation for DW's retirement. On the one hand we REALLY like to have access to the cultural activities in a big city. On the other hand, moving to a LCOL area would allow us to winter in Hawaii. On the other hand, a rural setting would allow me to have dark skies for astronomy. On the other hand, a university town would provide us with intellectual stimulation. On the other hand... well, we run out of hands before we run out of options to list. Eventually we will make a decision. But at least we recognize that staying in place IS a decision - we are not planning on defaulting into staying where we are, if we stay here it will be because we think it is our best choice.

Moved little over 1500 miles, to be near family. DW's family to be specific, so kind of Huston55's option 4 influence there. Moved from NM to OH. There was absolutely no reason to stay in NM besides work. I had actually sold my house the month before official retirement date, but leased back from buyer for the extra month. My last day at work I checked out by 11:30, then went home and hit the road heading east for the final part of the move. Did not even wait a day longer than needed. Building a new house and big detached garage at new location. Living in my motorhome now, ready for house to get finished and move in soon as it is ready; estimated about 6 weeks to go. Absolutely no regrets about moving for retirement location.

Staying where I am for now. Siblings and widowed father are all in the Carolinas and likely to stick there (their kids and grandkids are in the area as well). I'm out here in KC with a son, DIL and 2 granddaughters in Des Moines. I have a very full life here and can't imagine starting over.

Interesting. Roughly 2/3 relocate or want to. More than I expected. And those that relocated - relocated to downsize, move to LCOL and to less density. What I expected. Thanks for the info. I don’t know how it will help in my quest to relocate or downsize, but it’s good to know.

I think it's fairly common to live in an urban high density area where access to high paying jobs is available. These communities tend to be expensive, crowded, and mainly attractive due to the availability of jobs.

So it makes sense that once retired these communities no longer make sense to live in. And relocation can be an exciting way to start your retirement.

I did something slightly off center in my career. I kept my forever home by the beach throughout my working years, but kept a crash pad in Los Angeles to be close to work. When work ended I just gave up the crash pad and now I'm just at the beach, which worked out great for us.

Interesting. Roughly 2/3 relocate or want to. More than I expected. And those that relocated - relocated to downsize, move to LCOL and to less density. What I expected. Thanks for the info. I don’t know how it will help in my quest to relocate or downsize, but it’s good to know.
I didn't downsize. You didn't ask about that. Never really thought about whether it's lower COL or not, with the upsized house it sure isn't for me, but the tax rate is a little lower, Target and Home Depot have the same prices, so I don't know. Definitely less density, no need to be where the jobs are anymore.

We were planning to sell the house, RV full-time for a couple of years, then relocate back to the Rockies.

First window of opportunity: I was hesitant, because my baby was going to college in a big city four hours away and it just didn't feel right to move away.

Second opportunity: last year. After the house was finally on the market, our firstborn and her hubby who live in the area announced they were pregnant. So we'll stay for now to hang around the grand baby.

Third impulse to move came last week when I got a whiff of the latest health insurance prices. :LOL:
Save
Save

Original plan was to relocate but now it would cost us twice as much for half as much house as what we have now. So we're staying put with what have become irreplaceable low housing costs for the foreseeable future.

We stayed two years while the last two finished high school. We have now been in our winter home near St. George Utah for a month (will stay until May). We then spend the summer on the lake in Vermont.

Definitely adjustments to be made but overall we are liking it.

Back
Top Bottom