Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Retirees only, which best describes how you feel about your retirement income?
I have a lot more than I can spend. I'll be leaving a lot on the table when I croak, or maybe I'll become a philanthropist. 68 29.82%
I have a little more than I can spend, which is a nice security blanket. 109 47.81%
I have just about exactly what I need, no more, no less. 40 17.54%
I have a little less than I'd prefer to spend, so I might want to do something like kick up the LBYM and/or work part time for a while. 7 3.07%
I don't have enough. I need to go back to work, or marry well, or take up bank robbery as a hobby. 4 1.75%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-2016, 04:08 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just back from Cancun, despising just about every last thing about Los
Angeles/"SoCal!" (took the usual lovely HOUR crawling through minefields otherwise referred to as traffic in other locales just to get from LAX to home last night), and am in a mood that would make Grumpy Cat look like Mary Poppins, so anything I say should be taken with a barrel of salt.

My first thought: crap, another stupid poll. How the hell do I know if I "have enough"? Does anyone? Ever? Probably, but that's only when they're shoveling the dirt on you (or putting the broiler on "high" in my case). I have much more than enough, but that's because I've always had more than enough, and I'll probably die with much more than enough. I've never cared less, don't care now, and won't care then, either (although my heirs sure will be ecstatic).

Quite frankly, I'm shocked at my net worth. But never. Not once. During the lowest points in my life have I ever not had "enough". Never. Sometimes, LYBM and general contentment with life buys what no fleeting thing, plastic "toy", or phony "bucket list" experience will ever be able to put a price on: peace of mind.*

*exception: people who live in LA/"SoCal!" who have absolutely no reason being there should probably use some of that cash to get the hell out (much) sooner than planned...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2016, 04:33 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
*exception: people who live in LA/"SoCal!" who have absolutely no reason being there should probably use some of that cash to get the hell out (much) sooner than planned...
Must be a strong reason for being in LA. From above you are ER'd, have more then enough ... hmmm.

P.S. We pass through LA to get to San Diego to see our son occasionally. No fun. Last time we flew over it.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:07 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Must be a strong reason for being in LA. From above you are ER'd, have more then enough ... hmmm.

P.S. We pass through LA to get to San Diego to see our son occasionally. No fun. Last time we flew over it.
Relationship (best in my life). Love conquers all (including sanity, it seems). Our agreement is to leave in a few years.

San Diego is still one of the few great cities (in a number of ways) for younger people establishing themselves and prospering.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:28 PM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

We have plenty. But like many here, we have always been conservative with our money. Our big thing (like Options said above) is peace of mind.

LuckyDog
Old 05-16-2016, 02:41 PM   #105
Confused about dryer sheets

I didn't vote because I didn't like the choices.

I live very conservative. Tha'ts because I do not want to touch the principal on my investments even though the facts state that I could withdraw upper 5 digits every year and not outlive my money. Thus I live only on the income my investments generate.

So for me my retirement income is fine.

Its a little of me being cheap and also not having a desire to travel. Plus its hard to travel when you have a couple of dogs, a cat and 40 plus chickens.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:52 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Yes, you have a problem there all right.

I have read blogs of RV'ers who have more dogs and cats than that, but never about someone pulling a trailer with chicken coops behind his motorhome.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:14 PM   #107
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
This time YOU get to decide what to include in your income. SS? Pension? Investments? Cash? Inheritance? House? Rentals? I don't care. You decide.

All I want to know, is how you feel about it. Maybe your present retirement income isn't much but overall it's a lot because you don't have SS yet; then I'd suggest responding based on your overall feeling that it's a lot. But really, it's up to you because this time you get to pick.

The objective of this poll is FUN. It's a light-hearted poll, not intended to have deep meaning or import. I doubt anyone needs a definition of FUN, but if you do then you need to get out more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobarkingdogs View Post
I didn't vote because I didn't like the choices.
Uh.... OK? As long as that is what is FUN for you, then great.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:20 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

In all polls, there should be a default choice: "I don't vote in this dumb poll".

Hmmm... That would cause a paradox, wouldn't it?

See one of my polls earlier: Poll: Yes or No?.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:21 PM   #109
Moderator Emeritus

Quite adequate...

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-16-2016, 03:27 PM   #110
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Quite adequate...
+1

So far, so good...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:14 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudd View Post
Then at 62 I can start taking CPP (Canadian SS). At 67, old age security kicks in (or is it 65 now?).
Actually, CPP can be taken as early as 60. The new government has said they will lower the OAS age from 67 to 65, but I don't know if that's been done yet...or if it will be done.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:16 PM   #112

I'm in the "I have a little more than I can spend, which is a nice security blanket" category. My pension is about 25% greater than my expenses plus I have a small nest egg.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:17 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I'm in the "I have a little more than I can spend, which is a nice security blanket" category. My pension is about 25% greater than my expenses plus I have a small nest egg.

Same here. I live off my pension which is about 40% above my usual monthly spend. My nest egg will never make me a 1% er unless my lineage is an unknown direct line to Methuselah. But...I will never spend it either. If I do, I will have serious budget problems that will need to be addressed.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:48 PM   #114
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Same here. I live off my pension which is about 40% above my usual monthly spend. My nest egg will never make me a 1% er unless my lineage is an unknown direct line to Methuselah. But...I will never spend it either. If I do, I will have serious budget problems that will need to be addressed.
Budget problems or bad sports betting?
Old 05-16-2016, 09:54 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Poll: Retirees, how adequate is your retirement income?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Budget problems or bad sports betting?

As of now that or Obamacare would be the prime candidates! I guess a third option would be reinstalling a landline becoming senile and donating to every cause that calls me.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:40 AM   #116

I struggled with the choices. I settled on "just what i need", but a more accurate choice would have been, "I have enough, but sure, I COULD spend more", but I'm so new into this game, I really don't know.

I wouldn't have retired if I didn't THINK I had enough. But that little voice says "do you really know?" And since i've made the decision to retire, everything keeps breaking.

And I'm one of those people who, when the retirement calculators say 95% chance of not running out of money, I immediately obsess over that 5%...
It's going to take some time for me to get used to this.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:39 PM   #117

I voted for number 2.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:51 PM   #118

A whopping 18 days into ER I voted having a little more. However today after returning home from a celebration trip I find the old desktop no longer will fire up. Also I'm waiting for the call from the marina that tomorrow's launch will be held up due to the boat needing new batteries (or something). I may have to drop down a notch in the poll if this keeps up. But the nice thing is that they're all wants and not needs. I'm very grateful.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:18 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
Way more then I can spend, but I do worry a bit for the young wife if she goes past 100.
If things get tight, she will find a way. I have 3 buddies from work years who all lost their wives to cancer and every one has remarried to an eligible widow.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:01 PM   #120

I'm still living on SS and "unearned income" from investments, not drawing down on the "egg".

I had to increase my spending to get to that level. Nice problem to have -