Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How much did you spend on hobbies in 2013?
$0 - $499 26 25.00%
$500 - $999 12 11.54%
$1,000 - $1,999 16 15.38%
$2,000 - $2,999 11 10.58%
$3,000 - $3,999 8 7.69%
$4,000 - $4,999 6 5.77%
$5,000 - $9,999 12 11.54%
$10,000+ 13 12.50%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2014, 04:59 PM   #21

I wish you hadn't asked.

In the last 12 months we (well, mostly me) spent a hair under $2,500 on hobbies. The bulk of that was photography gear and books. It'll be less going forward since I'm about as well equipped as I'm going to be absent some windfall.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2014, 05:09 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hmmmm.
I would consider our cars not hobbies.
However, the sportier set of rims for summer shows probably would fit that category.

Between that and other hobbies, probably about $4000.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:12 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wow, I'm surprised at how many spend over $5K a year on hobbies. I guess milling around the junk yard for entertainment just keeps me in the minor leagues.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:16 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Eh, the cost of food does not count as we all have to eat, so yours is a "free" hobby. That is unless you cook with truffle, foie gras, and caviar all the time.
I wish! Except for the occasional treat, I mostly use fairly inexpensive ingredients. Although a grass-fed beef steak is starting to cost a pretty penny!
Old 04-29-2014, 05:21 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

We spent about $6K last year on RVing. That includes fuel, RV parks, and the associated costs of insurance, registration and maintenance on the RV. That number also includes what we spent on travel and vacationing in the RV, so does that mean we spent less than $6k on our hobby?

As others have stated, for some of us hobby spending is hard to define.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:56 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

RV'ing is not cheap, that's for sure. Travel is generally not cheap.

And speaking of wasting money well-spent money for leisure, it's always in the eyes of the beholder. As long as a person fits it in his budget, who cares? Can we take it with us?

Actually, nobody really cares if someone here blows his/her budget either. Right?
Old 04-29-2014, 06:03 PM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
As others have stated, for some of us hobby spending is hard to define.
That's why I decided to let everyone define it for themselves! I don't think I could come up with a definition that would satisfy everyone.

What feels like a comfortable, honest definition to you? If each of us goes with that gut feeling, it is more likely to be right than anything else AFAIK.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:03 PM   #28

And, by the way, I just counted my own spending on hobbies. I didn't count DH. During this last year most of our hobby spending was individual. On a year where we take a vacation and go somewhere if I thought of that as hobby then I would include the total for both of us.

Whether to count travel as hobby is kind of interesting. I'm talking, of course, about travel that is for fun and not for other reasons. I don't really consider travel a "hobby" exactly. I think a vacation is entertainment but, for me, I don't really see it as hobby. On the other hand, I could some who would see it that way.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:09 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I didn't count travel but I can see where some might consider it to be a hobby.

I counted for both of us and was unsure whether the poll was intended to be for one person or for the household.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:27 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Here's a definition I found on the Web for the word hobby.
hobby: an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.
Generally, people think of hobbies as more active leisure, and something that requires some devotion to develop some specific skills and knowledge.

So, photography, gardening, painting, cooking, woodworking, classic car restoration, electronic project building, homebrewing are universally accepted as hobbies. Travel tends to be, or can be, very passive. It only takes money to sign up for a cruise or to take a guided tour, and not much knowledge or skill is needed. Hence travel is not thought of as a hobby.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:03 PM   #31

I did not count our vacation, because I do not consider it a hobby. This past year, my hobbies would be reading books and on the computer. My relatives pass books on to one another and we buy some at yard sales. I probably spent 20-25 dollars last year.

I guess that I need to get some hobbies. Next year should be my last year of working part-time, but I am getting a new granddaughter at the end of August and I am sure that I will spend plenty of time playing with her and her sister!
Old 04-29-2014, 09:25 PM   #32

Quote:
RV'ing is not cheap, that's for sure. Travel is generally not cheap.

And speaking of wasting money well-spent money for leisure, it's always in the eyes of the beholder. As long as a person fits it in his budget, who cares? Can we take it with us?

Actually, nobody really cares if someone here blows his/her budget either. Right?

I don't consider enjoying life ' wasting money'. We accrued it for the purpose of travel and enjoyment.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:28 PM   #33

POLL: Retirees: How much did you spend on hobbies in 2013?

Quote:
Here's a definition I found on the Web for the word hobby.
hobby: an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.
Generally, people think of hobbies as more active leisure, and something that requires some devotion to develop some specific skills and knowledge.

So, photography, gardening, painting, cooking, woodworking, classic car restoration, electronic project building, homebrewing are universally accepted as hobbies. Travel tends to be, or can be, very passive. It only takes money to sign up for a cruise or to take a guided tour, and not much knowledge or skill is needed. Hence travel is not thought of as a hobby.

Perhaps not by you personally *shrug*. We travel in our leisure time for pleasure. We camp, hike, canoe, cook over a fire, bike during our travel. It's the reason we travel. Travel has never been passive for us, driving around the country to remote areas.

We disagree on the definition.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:08 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Hmmmm - isn't it all hobbies? Hard for me to make a distinction there!

LOL I tend to see travel as a hobby. Half the time I have a "purpose" in mind anyway - such as photography, or even just pursuing certain food experiences. Not to mention the critter chasing (usually birds).

Probably also because we don't sign up for tours but rather roll our own itinerary which requires considerable research and planning! It's requiring considerable effort this year!

I tend to see a the more expensive parts of my cooking as a hobby, particularly when I fire up the grill for something special or pull out the wok for Thai cooking.

Same with our indulgence in the finer wines....

Can dining out be considered a hobby? Maybe.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:18 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Well, I happen to think of my travels as a hobby too.

It's because of the way I do it. Whether going abroad or domestically, I usually do research beforehand to look up things to do, places to see. I often watch the Travel channel to learn of new places. I like to pick up travel-related magazines whenever I see them laying around to read about some exotic places. I read travel blogs and full-time RV'er blogs to see where they go, some remote places where they camp. I look up Google Earth and Google Street View to check out the lay of the land where I travel through or may camp with my RV. I spend more time thinking about travel than most do.

So, I do think of my travel as a hobby, besides my loudspeaker tuning, my customization of the RV electric system, the repair and maintenance of my dirt bikes, the gardening, the landscaping up in my 2nd home, the sorting and maintenance of my MP3 files, my home computer network and its multiple servers, my amateurish woodworking, the look for new dishes to prepare for daily dinner as well as to feed my guests at family get-togethers that I often host, etc... I have a lot to keep busy.

And travel is the most expensive leisure activity for me.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:51 AM   #36
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
About $7k for us last year.

Golf $2,500 for me and DW but mostly me - includes our club memberships, some golf cart cards and my weekly travel golf group; Hockey $600 (mostly travel to 2013 NCAA D3 Frozen Four in Lake Placid), Sewing $2,600 for DW (including $1,200 for a new machine), Skiing $500 for the two of us, Snowmobiling $700 (mostly a major repair to one of our machines).
Not many snowmobiling retirees. Ours are similar to yours with golfing and snowmobiling.
We spent 3 weeks in Wyoming in 3 different areas riding our sleds.
Total hobby costs around $6000.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:06 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I personally don't include traveling as a hobby and will not include my gym membership, because I would much prefer to eat a lot and gain weight than do this daily, so I consider it a bill. That just leaves golf and sports betting as my real hobbies. I actually made quite a bit of money off them (not the golf) last year and this year already. It leaves my vacation budget flush as I haven't had to use any of that money for several years. GF doesn't approve of that hobby but she sure hasn't complained when she gets to go on vacation for free because of it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2014, 10:21 AM   #38

Would travel be considered a hobby?
Old 04-30-2014, 10:24 AM   #39

My 2 main hobbies are ham radio and photography. Hopefully, I'll branch out a bit and be able to include travel in a few years but for now, it's those 2.

Some years include relatively major hobby expenses, while other years have smaller, what you might call "hobby maintenance" expenses. It's a rough guess, but the $500 - $999 bracket sounds about right, so I will vote that as soon as this reply has been posted.

I'm inching closer (maybe) to a new camera purchase for ~$1600 with accessories. I may well end up selling a lens which the new camera will replace. The lens should get me ~$750, so the net cost of the camera to me will be ~$850. There's a slight chance I may sell it and upgrade in the next few years if a subsequent model represents a significant step up but judging by my past behavior, it's equally likely this camera will last me the next 10 years, making it very affordable.

Yes, $500 - $999 sounds about right.

Last minute edit - I just realized the poll question was how much was spent on hobbies last year, as opposed to average yearly spending. My last year spending was <$500, so I voted that way, although the average is in the $500 - $999 range.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:43 AM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just a bit over 10K for our hobbies last year. Actually mostly my hobbies. That did not include travel for which we also spent a little over 10K.