Goat Roper 0 0%
Dropped Out 1 0.48%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Poll: What were you in school?
Old 04-23-2007, 03:51 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

I voted "invisible".........

Interesting, I noticed that a lot of the people voted for invisible. We probably all weren't, just self-conscious? Maybe it was a teenage thing. Maybe everyone feels that way..............I digress....... 8)

My high school was private so there was a lot of money and hoopla. My parents did not have a lot of extra money and the whole environment was intimidating to me . To my parents disappointment, I dated someone from the local public high school and hung out with a lot of people from the public high school who lived in my neighborhood.

I never studied or even took a book home. However, I did well enough to get to college so I didn't care.

I don't have many memories from my high school that are good or bad. I was just "there".

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2007, 06:10 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Since I was the "whipping boy" at home, the atmosphere was too tense for me to really concentrate. Hard to concentrate when you are always getting berated for something.
Regardless, it was apparent that I had a high i.q., so I was that kid that the teachers always called my mother to say, "She's so smart, but she won't pick up a book." I am sure they were totally frustrated with me, and I don't blame them.
The teachers had no idea until the last semester of my Senior year why I was so distracted. Luckily, I thrived once I got out at 19 on my own.
However, I worked after school about 25 hours a week and paid for my own things. And I had plenty of boys chasing me, alot of girlfriends, was asked to all the parties and events, was a Homecoming candidate, was active in a number of clubs despite working so much (I had lots of home duties, also) etc. Socially I did A plus.
Yes, I did finally go back and finish college at 29.
Anyway, today I say that my high school experience was spent on career development, since I went into sales and talked all the time in class. Guess the teachers wouldn't think that was very funny yet, tho.
You don't have this category, but I would have to say during high school that I would be the underachiever! I see lots of guys on this board said the same thing. Guess you were the guys sitting next to me in detention.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:18 PM   #23

One thing I have noticed over the years when talking to others who underachieved in high school: Most are so embarrassed and disappointed in themselves for not studying and being an underachiever that, once out on their own, at some point they start burning rubber trying to make up the time they lost...and end doing very well then. Am I the only one who has observed this? I know quite a few like this, myself.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:34 PM   #24

To bad we couldn't check multiple. Depending on the year, I fit several categories. Checked band member, but could fit geek or class clown...
Old 04-23-2007, 08:01 PM   #25

One thing I have noticed over the years when talking to others who underachieved in high school: Most are so embarrassed and disappointed in themselves for not studying and being an underachiever that, once out on their own, at some point they start burning rubber trying to make up the time they lost...and end doing very well then.

Two of my best friends in high school were like this. Both of 'em were slackers and underachievers. Heck, one of 'em practically gave up his senior year. We were in something called a "Science and Tech" program that was for the supposedly gifted people. We had to do something called a "research practicum" our senior year, and I remember my one buddy just didn't bother. I remember for my project, I tested out the flammability of various types of wall paneling, which was kinda fun. Even if wall paneling was kinda passe' by the late 80's.

Anyway, that guy ended up doing pretty well in college, and the last I saw him, he was an engineer at an aerospace company. Last time I saw him was 1999 though, so I dunno what he's up to these days.

My other friend ended up totally muffing up in college. He also had an overbearing father and pain in the rear stepmother. They were turning him into a submissive, spineless shell of himself. He finally got fed up with them the summer after his freshman year in college and walked out. I let him stay with me, and because of that, his parents blamed me as a bad influence and, once he went back home, they forbade him to ever hang out with me again. Soon after that, we had a falling out, over other things, and he dropped out of school soon after.

I found out a few years later from a mutual friend that he was gay, and I think that actually explained a lot. Looking back, I imagine my buddy was probably really frustrated and confused, trying to figure out just what he was. And I know full-well his parents would have banged him over the head with a Bible until he either "saw the evil of his ways" or died from internal bleeding, so he was probably heading for a self-destruct mode.

I thought about him though, and tracked him down about a year or so ago through classmates.com or one of those sites. Turns out he's out west somewhere, been with his significant other for about 10 years, got a good accounting job that he really likes, and seems to be doing really well for himself. I told him if he's ever out this way to look me up, but he pretty much cut all ties with his family, and there's just too many bad memories back this way, so there's really not much reason for him to come back this way. Sad that his family pushed him to the breaking point and he had to cut all ties with them, but with some families that's what you have to do. I'm glad for him though, that life's finally working out for him.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:03 PM   #26

Oh yeah, as for me, I checked "invisible". I was kind of anti-social in high school (still am to a degree). I had my small core of friends, but never did get into the jock thing or anything geeky. Although I was kinda into computers.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:00 AM   #27

I think the underachiever thing is probably closest for me, though my whole school (small private HS-40 in my graduating class) was a druggie, freak, slacker place with very few high achievers. I just remember thinking that except for the parties, that I hated HS and couldn't wait to get a job, as I equated working and earning money with freedom, and school with being dictated to and told what to do. Rebel. Still can't stand criticism or lack of autonomy in the workplace. At our reunion, the only two really high achievers had quit work (both lawyers) to do the Mommy thing, so I don't know if anyone at our HS will ever be a bright star. Gotta love that private school tuition spent for us all to turn out so poorly (not saying that the Mommy thing is a bad thing), but none of us have set the world on fire, economically speaking.

Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:06 AM   #28

The high school football hero , Doctor's only son, cute, popular, went on to a good university and then finished law school, eventually embezzled money from the Federal government. Lost license to practice law. Ended up getting in a variety of trouble. Now he has some crummy job and looks scruffy, I hear. Go figure?
Never know how kids will turn out sometimes.
President of the class, closeted gay with a homophobic mother (this was her very favorite child that the mother lived thru), flunks out of a good university the Sr. year. Goes into comedy, and screams out how gay they are to the world on stage now. Closeted no more, I guess.
There must be a million stories like this.
I read some time ago that you never know how your kid will turn out until they are, at least, 30. I think that's, for the most part, true.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:06 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower
One thing I have noticed over the years when talking to others who underachieved in high school: Most are so embarrassed and disappointed in themselves for not studying and being an underachiever that, once out on their own, at some point they start burning rubber trying to make up the time they lost...and end doing very well then. Am I the only one who has observed this? I know quite a few like this, myself.
I was like this in HS, even though I clicked geek. I was in all honors/ap classes, and without studying much my grades were decent (A/B with the occasional C in math), but I never really worked up to my full potential, and I knew it. I made up for it in college and the real world though.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:51 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower
I was a chronic underachiever in grammar school and high school. But I was never embarrassed about being a slacker and goof off - to the contrary I gloried in it. Maybe that was a bit of self defense against failure. I overcompensated throughout my work life and no one would have pegged me for a slacker -- but it took a constant effort. Late in my career I got diagnosed with ADD which may explain some of it, although I think that is a bit of a crutch.

I do have one good story that illustrates my HS experience. In 50s and 60s schools in Chicago schools were on the semester system. I took physics 1 in the fall of my junior year and failed (lousy graphs, missed too many classes, etc). But physics 2 could be taken ahead of Physics 1 so I continued with the rest of my class in the spring physics 2 class. The new teacher gave us a final from physics 1 just to see what we had learned. I asked if I should take it since I flunked and he said, sure, go ahead. You guessed it -- I got the highest score in the class. Unfortunately, picking up subjects through osmosis didn't work so well in college so I switched from chemistry to psychology where my BS talents were a better fit.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:56 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955

I was a "brain" in the early 70's when it didn't make you popular, but it did confer an element of wary respect. Was also very involved in student government.

Haven't changed much in 35 years, except I have a lot more friends now.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:05 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sports for me. Lots of sports. Kept me busy and usually out of trouble (although it managed to find me anyhow). Did my school work and did just fine in that regard, worked to make some money, partied my share, but really, for me sports was it.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:59 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I feel much better about my history after reading this thread. I thought I was the only underachiever to end up really acing life after school.

Didn't finish high school, was a geek/invisible, and never went to college. I let the mentality that I was headed nowhere because I didn't finish HS and go to college drag me down for a few very unproductive years. I got with the "program" in my mid 20s, worked harder than my peers and I'm FIRE at 39, with my retirement date set for March 1, 2008. I think about how much more I could have achieved (or at least achieved sooner).... genius level IQ, very good with computers (ultra-geek level), Internet-savvy before there was even such thing as a web-browser and mostly out-going. But I guess I can't complain since I'm leaving the treadmill at 39.

I'm now in the process of getting my GED and plan to go to college to learn and enrich my life rather than seeking skills for a career. Funny thing is I never wanted a GED or degree after I started achieving... it was almost a badge of pride that I managed to overcome things my working peers took for granted (for instance, its very socially awkward to be surrounded by geeks in corporate IT when the conversation turns to "so, where did you get your degree?")

Now its important to get the GED and degree for >>me<< and no one else.
missionfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 05:26 PM   #34

Am I catching the same song here from a number of people:
high i.q., higher than average risktaker, too busy into their heads to do well in high school, highly individualistic and so forth? Verrrrrry interesting, folks.
Bill Gates could be one of us. Warren Buffet probably not.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:41 PM   #35

Please do tell what a "goat roper" is.

Cross between jockette & geek here....
Old 04-28-2007, 08:07 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Guess I'm a little different than the underachiever who found himself after high school and did very well later in life. My family moved across the country after my freshman year in high school, and since I don't make new friends that easily, I just focused on school work in my new school and did very well academically (if not socially). High school grades got me into a good college (with a scholarship) where I also did well academically and ended up with pretty much the job I was looking for (govt). College was a lot more fun for me than high school.......worked hard, but played hard, too, and made a lot of great friends, some of whom I still keep in touch with today.

I'll retire in 3 years from this govt. job at age 55. By the way, I marked myself as a "geek", but "invisible" would have been an equally good choice.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:41 PM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2025
Please do tell what a "goat roper" is.
I would describe it as a cowboy with low self-esteem.

...actually, it's simply a derogatory term for cowboy.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:21 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Cowboy who ain't actually got no cows. Wannabe cowboy.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:01 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I lived for Sports!! School was a necessary evil. As long as I got passing grades and didn't get into trouble in school, the "World" was a perfect place.

I grew up, in a small town, of 500 people. Thirteen,-- in my graduating class!
5, of us attended college. 3 graduated with degrees. This was in the late fifties.

I didn't acknowledge the importance of expanding one's knowledge and striving for some higher goal and I was never encouraged to strive for excellence and pursuit of any career avenues, beyond high school. My parents, never discussed college with me,- until after I graduated. I frankly, had never thought about it!

Wish, I had the opportunity to do it all over!

I discovered "Girls," my Sophomore year. Mostly, from outta town, cuz the hometown girls were UGGLY! Never went beyond, "Punch and Tickle." Too afraid of what parents and local gossip would say. But,- there were some good times!!!

I could have been better,-- in my adult life! I could have prepared better during my formative years, If, I had known then, what I know now!

Now,-- I'm retired. Gave 40 years, working for the sake of working. Never, really sure, that the avenue I chose, was the right one. Can't change it now!

Married a lovely woman. Don't owe anyone a dime. Have money in the bank!

And, I am retired!!
Old 05-01-2007, 04:42 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmark
Cowboy who ain't actually got no cows. Wannabe cowboy.
Bingo! I think I may have overgeneralized when I suggested this category. They were a dime-a-dozen in Texas when I grew up in the 70s an 80s, evidently they were not quit so numerous in the rest of the county, given they are polling at zero. Either that, or they are the worst investors on the planet.