Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What is your current relationship.
Never Married 27 14.36%
Married 132 70.21%
Divorced 13 6.91%
Widow/Widower 5 2.66%
In a relationship 24 12.77%
Not in a relationship 16 8.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2014, 01:41 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been happily married to an angel for 15 years after first being unhappily married for 13 years to an evil person (being kind) with a 6 year break between the two. I handle all the finances, doing the research and planning for investment choices and asset allocations...then she tells me what we're going to do.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2014, 02:14 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Is it easier to plan for ER if you are single? and is it easier to be happy in retirement if you have a partner?

I definitely find it easy to manage my finances as a single person, but I'm obviously not so sure about the emotional side. So what are your thoughts and your current relationship status? I've allowed multiple choices....so you could chose "Married" and "Not in a relationship", and if you do maybe "Divorce" would be next.
Married 32 years. DW was a SAHM. DW has no particular interest in retirement planning and investing so I "run" all that stuff and she trusts me to do that capably. So I guess in a way I have the best of both worlds in that I have the 'ease" of planning as if I were single but have someone to "play" with in retirement.

pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:32 PM   #23

Widowed 11 years after a 26 year marriage, not in a relationship.

When I was married, I was very lazy about finances, retirement planning, gaining investment knowledge. I contributed to my pension and a government 457b plan and parked a small inheritance from my parents in a short-term bond fund for years just so that I would not have to think about it. I let my husband (who made a living in the 1%) worry about the bills, saving for college for our son, and investments. I had no idea where he had anything and in truth, he was so busy in his profession, he didn't have the time or the inclination to learn good investment strategy. We always lived within our means however, despite spending a lot on things that in the end did not contribute much in the way of happiness or contentment.

As a new widow, I made my share mistakes but have now put myself on a path of thoughtful spending and saving and adopted a low-cost index fund type of investment strategy. I am looking forward to retirement in 3 months time!
Old 04-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've lived with my partner for about 20 years. She is abit younger than I and started her career later so she will continue to work after I ER at 55. We had considered getting hitched so I could latch onto her medical benefits (how romantic), but as my Megacorp will provide me with retiree medical care it now appears we will remain happily living in sin.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:54 PM   #25

Happily married for 25 years after a five-year marriage that ended over - what else? - handling money, with a five-year break in between. DW is a bit more conservative than I am but that's usually a good thing since she makes me think harder about what's important.

She sets policy and I handle the details.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:16 PM   #26

LW died almost 5 years ago. We were married for almost 30 years. Not only was she the perfect mate for me, but she also let me handle all the finances with her input as need be. She knew how to do all the stuff I did in Quicken and also wanted to be able to take over if anything happened to me, so I wrote a detailed document with all our financials. Called it "The Hermit Family Financial Plan." I still use it and keep it up-to-date. Its there for DD to understand when the time comes.

No relationship for me. I don't think it wise to ask someone to live in the shadow of past perfection. Given a few more years (or decades) when the memories have faded... Maybe. (Besides, who would want a relationship with a Hermit?)
Old 04-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #27

I can't think of sweeter things to ssy, Hermit.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:44 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
I definitely agree that being single, you can make decisions that are 100% in agreement with what you want.

I am married and I find it helps to have a spouse that has the same thinking and can be a voice of reason for discussion and decision making.
Ditto for me. DW is the counter balance that has kept me on track all these years. We do a lot of brainstorming of ideas and usually uncover faults and/or validate the other's reasoning
Old 04-10-2014, 04:19 PM   #29

Two single people, started a relationship and married over 20 years ago... no outside relationships (that I'm aware of). Not very complicated. No plans for divorce or death.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:28 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
... who would want a relationship with a Hermit?
Another Hermit?

Up at my 2nd home in the high country, I have a few neighbors who are single women in their 60s (divorcee or widow) who are financially well-off and live alone. The problem is that as hermits, they do not socialize much to even start a relationship. It's most likely that they do not care to.

And why am I reminded of Hermitian matrices and their properties (such as "All Hermitian matrices have real eigenvalues")?
Old 04-10-2014, 04:37 PM   #31

- Divorced once.

- Widowed once.

- Currently VERY happily married.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Another Hermit?

Up at my 2nd home in the high country, I have a few neighbors who are single women in their 60s (divorcee or widow) who are financially well-off and live alone. The problem is that as hermits, they do not socialize much to even start a relationship. It's most likely that they do not care to.
Yes, they do seem to be around. There is one elderly lady who is a summer resident. She wanted to stay up there last fall until Thanksgiving. I told her I would do plowing this year, but was not there late enough to plow last year. Like you said, she is pretty quiet.
Quote:
And why am I reminded of Hermitian matrices and their properties (such as "All Hermitian matrices have real eigenvalues")?
Thanks! I'll bring that up at the next Hermit convention!
Old 04-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #33

Very complicated.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:47 PM   #34

This reminds me. An elderly man I've met in my recent trip to Cost Rica, when asked about his marriage, said "happily married for 25 years. The other 15 years were ok." (or something to the effect)
Old 04-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Thanks! I'll bring that up at the next Hermit convention!
Not meaning to be a damper, but I have to add that not all Hermitian matrices are positive definite, meaning some have zero or negative eigenvalues.

I will stop now.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:36 PM   #36

Quote:
Not meaning to be a damper, but I have to add that not all Hermitian matrices are positive definite, meaning some have zero or negative eigenvalues.

I will stop now.
OK. Its back to matrix algebra so I can keep up with all these silly puns!
Old 04-10-2014, 08:18 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Married in '77 to get insurance, made him plan most of it.
Had a live-in for 3 years in early '90s.
Will be getting married to give income/insurance in a bit; told him: you want the benefits, you arrange it.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:26 PM   #38
Administrator

Still married to my bride of 30 years. She's a keeper.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:36 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I've been happily married to an angel for 15 years after first being unhappily married for 13 years to an evil person (being kind) with a 6 year break between the two. I handle all the finances, doing the research and planning for investment choices and asset allocations...then she tells me what we're going to do.
Just curious, how does someone stay married for 13 years to an evil person? That's a pretty strong term; I would run for the hills the very first time I had a taste of that evil.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:52 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Married nearly 37 years: I needed a second income to maintain my lifestyle. Seriously, DW got me out of debt, out of a trailer house and is still working! (I retired last year). I handle the investments, she handles the check book ... it all works out. ...so far...