Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What kind of living space are you retiring on?
Home size - 100 sq.ft - 999 sq.ft 23 8.39%
Home size - 1,000 sq.ft. - 1,799 sq.ft. 96 35.04%
Home size - 1,800 sq.ft. - 2,499 sq.ft. 76 27.74%
Home size - 2,500 sq.ft. - 3,499 sq.ft. 46 16.79%
Home Size - 3,500 sq.ft. - 5,000 sq.ft or more 33 12.04%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2016, 06:46 AM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So Gone4Good ... if it was you, would you get the smaller house plan ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
Winter coats are tough . . . that's why I'm spending this winter in Mexico, last winter in South East Asia, and next winter in Australia, New Zealand, & Hawaii.

I do carry a down jacket that compresses to the size of a melon, though. That and a fleece constitutes my winter wardrobe.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2016, 06:53 AM   #162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
So Gone4Good ... if it was you, would you get the smaller house plan ?
I'm currently enjoying the "no house plan"

In all seriousness, though, each of the floor plans you're considering would be too much house for me. Back when we had a place it was a 1,000 sqf apartment in the city, which was all the space I ever want to have. I don't want extra bathrooms to clean, a yard to rake, or a driveway to shovel. And I want to walk everywhere I need to go.

That's my ideal pad. If anything, my idea of ideal has gotten smaller after living comfortably in a motorhome for 4 years.

You're looking at nice places, though!
Old 02-06-2016, 08:40 AM   #163

My 860 sq ft is just right, I don't want anything bigger than what I can clean in a day. I really hate housework.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:39 AM   #164

Quote:
Winter coats are tough . . . that's why I'm spending this winter in Mexico, last winter in South East Asia, and next winter in Australia, New Zealand, & Hawaii.

I do carry a down jacket that compresses to the size of a melon, though. That and a fleece constitutes my winter wardrobe.

Do you have a blog to document your traveling?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-06-2016, 09:41 AM   #165
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Do you have a blog to document your traveling?
You can find blogs by clicking the member's user name. Look for a link in the drop-down menu that says "Visit xxxxx's homepage"
Old 02-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Immediately after I left work we moved into a 35' motor home that may have had something like 275 sqf of living space. We've since downsized again and live in hotel rooms as small as 100 sqf but also rent apartments sometimes that might be as large as 1,000 sqf.

All of our stuff, though, has to fit in a couple of bags that we carry everywhere; each of which has the storage capacity of a 13 inch square box.
Interesting life style. If I were married and my wife was into this kind of life style, I could see doing it for a few years. Being single and roaming on my on for long periods of time, doubt it would be for me.

I'm really enjoying my new patio home. Just had a fence installed in my small backyard. Nice to be able to let the mutt out for a whiz w/o having to leash him. Got to get the weeds out of the beds and buy some mulch. The previous owner didn't put much effort into yard maintenance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-01-18_14-10-56_908.jpg (930.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 02-06-2016, 12:01 PM   #167
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
I'm reviving the thread, because I found the builder in my area who can build my 1700 - 1800 sq.ft. retirement home. If you were to choose, which floorplan would you prefer ? Thanks in advance for any inputs you can provide. My budget is about $200K-$210K (house with no land). The prices below don't have any upgrades. Upgrades may cost me around $40K-$50K (to add granite to kitchen, better flooring, possibly a covered porch)

1) Cedar Spring -1900 sq.ft. (can be reduced to 1800sqft) - $164K (no garage, 1 storey)

http://www.schumacherhomes.com/house...cedar-springs/

To visualize pictures of the inside of this floor plan, click link below ... this is a similar plan (also an A-frame house), but a bit bigger and more expensive.
http://www.schumacherhomes.com/house...ar/pikes-peak/

2) Santa Barbara -1900 sq.ft (can be reduced to 1800sq) - $181K (has garage, 1 storey)
http://www.schumacherhomes.com/house...nta-barbara-a/

3) Eagle's Nest - 1610 sq.ft (can be expanded to 1700 sq.ft) - $142K (no garage, has loft)
http://www.schumacherhomes.com/house...'s-nest-a/

4) Blueridge - This is a bit more than I would like to spend, and can cut about 250 sq.ft.

http://www.schumacherhomes.com/house...ar/blue-ridge/

Which of the 4 do you guys like
I'm in the minority on this one. Pikes peak hands down for me. I lived in a house with a similar flow once and it was very livable. I'm also a sucker for an outdoor fireplace. Good luck with your choice!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 02-06-2016, 04:33 PM   #168
Give me a forum ...

I like the Santa Barbara plan the most with the flex room.

That said, I sure hope you have done lot of researching on Schumacher. They do not have the best reputation. If you haven't done so, you might want to do a search of Schumacher complaints.... Obviously, they may vary by location but I would sure look at it carefully.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:20 PM   #169
Moderator Emeritus

For me, the Santa Barbara is the only plan that is close to acceptable. But it needs more garage space, a full basement, and eliminate the flex room.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:56 PM   #170

Thanks Katsmeow. Yes, I did read some of the negative feedback for Schumacher. I was thinking of looking for a well-known local builders who may be able to work with me on a similar home plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I like the Santa Barbara plan the most with the flex room.

That said, I sure hope you have done lot of researching on Schumacher. They do not have the best reputation. If you haven't done so, you might want to do a search of Schumacher complaints.... Obviously, they may vary by location but I would sure look at it carefully.