Poll: What's your retirement house size?

What kind of living space are you retiring on?

• Home size - 100 sq.ft - 999 sq.ft

Votes: 23 8.4%
  • Home size - 1,000 sq.ft. - 1,799 sq.ft.

Votes: 96 35.0%
  • Home size - 1,800 sq.ft. - 2,499 sq.ft.

Votes: 76 27.7%
  • Home size - 2,500 sq.ft. - 3,499 sq.ft.

Votes: 46 16.8%
  • Home Size - 3,500 sq.ft. - 5,000 sq.ft or more

Votes: 33 12.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cyber888

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm running a survey poll just to get an idea of how big your retirement living space is - whether you are in a mobile home, an RV, a rental apartment, a regular house, a McMansion, or bigger - it does not really matter. I just thought it would be fun to know what most retired people have in terms of living space size. Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm not retired yet so I didn't vote but I definitely plan to live in under 1000 sqft. I've never lived in a place with over 1000 sqft and can't imagine a single person needing that much space. Ideally I would live in a place with 500-800 sqft. I'm not saying I wouldn't live in a larger place if I had the money but i'm not going to work long enough to pay for anything larger than that.

Retired 15 years ago with two young boys, now in HS. Due to elderly parent issues, we moved from a 2700 sq ft house to a 2000 sq ft house in 2004 (and from AL to PA). Have no plans to move again. Saving grace was that we now have a full basement for storage/laundry.

I'm not retired yet so I didn't vote but I definitely plan to live in under 1000 sqft. I've never lived in a place with over 1000 sqft and can't imagine a single person needing that much space. Ideally I would live in a place with 500-800 sqft. I'm not saying I wouldn't live in a larger place if I had the money but i'm not going to work long enough to pay for anything larger than that.

Yeah, I'm also not yet retired, but thinking about downsizing to a place between 1,200 - 1,700 sq.ft. for me and DW. Not sure how it feels to move to a smaller space after living in a bigger space for awhile.

I'm running a survey poll just to get an idea of how big your retirement living space is - whether you are in a mobile home, an RV, a rental apartment, a regular house, a McMansion, or bigger - it does not really matter. I just thought it would be fun to know what most retired people have in terms of living space size. Thanks.

What if you own two houses? Should we add or average?

What if you own two houses? Should we add or average?

If you have two houses, choose the size that makes you most happy :) If you cannot choose, then just choose the bigger of the 2 houses :) :blush:

Main house is about 2,200 sqft, but there is a two bedroom two bath guest house that is about 600 sqft.

Main house is about 2,200 sqft, but there is a two bedroom two bath guest house that is about 600 sqft.

In that case, you can total it to 2,800 sq.ft. as the guest house is still part of your compound space.

2 BR 1 BATH 1100 sq ft. house for summer in St. Louis. 2 BR 2 BATH 995 sq ft. condo for winter in Florida. It's not size that makes us happy. It just helps us get to FI sooner. :)

House is ~1,900 sf (2 floors @ ~950 sf each) + loft above detached two car garage (DW's she-cave) is ~350 sf; so ~2,250 sf in total.

Downsized from 2,700 sf main home and 950 sf seasonal home (which we demolished and rebuilt on same footprint but 2 stories).

Last edited:
2 BR 1 BATH 1100 sq ft. house for summer in St. Louis. 2 BR 2 BATH 995 sq ft. condo for winter in Florida. It's not size that makes us happy. It just helps us get to FI sooner. :)

I'd be happier in 500 sqft and not working than 1500 sqft and working years longer.

2700 sq.ft. and 1800 sq.ft. The one at 7000-ft elevation keeps us happy in the summer, while the other keeps us happy in the winter. The former one is at 19F now. Brrrr...

About 2 months of the year, we are also happy in 200-sq.ft. ( 25'x8' motorhome).

Just under 2500 sq ft, downsized from 3400 (which was way bigger than we needed but was the most suitable house available when we bought it). Although it was a little larger than we anticipated, it's actually turned out to be just right for us.

Our primary is 2000sf. We have a 700sf granny flat - but we rent it out (as part of the income stream for retirement). We still have kids at home (2 of them) and a couple rents the granny flat - so it's 450sf/person.

At some point in the future, when the kids are launched, we'll either move into the granny flat ourselves, and rent out the primary home (and maybe get a boat :) ) Or we'll sell the property (with both houses) and buy a single level 1200-1500 sf home in a walkable neighborhood.

My ideal retirement house is 1200-1500 sq ft with a 3000 sq ft garage. But for now I don't have a retirement house, I have a 2000 sq ft working house :nonono: and 1200 sq ft garage :rolleyes:

Not yet retired but will be in 2017, house is 3400sqft but we are planning on having many visitors as we are on the water in Florida and will have been working overseas for over 20 years so hope to have many years of guests. :)

A 285 sq foot studio, which could get smaller if I ever move into an RV. I've been promising myself I'll do that for several years now.

2600 sq ft winter home. 1200 summer sq ft lake camp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are a shade over 3500 sf - most of it very seldom used. Our snowbird condo is much more manageable at 1350 sf. I want to downsize the house, DW does not.

Back
Top Bottom