Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Where will you likely live in retirement?
Same home or neighborhood 51 30.36%
Same city, town, or metro 19 11.31%
Same State 11 6.55%
Same Region-ie. Southeast. Pacific Coast, etc. 21 12.50%
Out of region 51 30.36%
Out of home country 15 8.93%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-06-2008, 11:48 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I ER'd 11 months ago tomorrow (Friday), and I've been here in the old family homestead for ~50 years, and don't plan on pulling up roots. I like this area (north central IL).....weather and all. I travel a couple months out of the year, but always look forward to returning back here to the roost.

IL income tax is only 3%, and my pension is exempt from even that! Local property taxes are fairly low, and sales tax is 7% (food & meds = 1%). I'm close enough to Chicago to be able to enjoy the many good things the city has to offer......and far enough away from Chicago to not have to deal with the bad stuff the city has to offer. It's only 1 to 1.5 hours to Chicago, Rockford, Peoria, Bloomington-Normal, and the Quad-cities, so there's a whole slew of options for entertainment, shopping, air travel, and other misc stuff. I'm about 15-20 minutes away from several very nice state parks, and about 20-25 minutes from the community college. Within walking and/or bicycling distance, I have a couple of rivers and several creeks to fish in. And for leisurely bicycle riding, I have easy access to a 61.5 mile walking/bicycling trail that's located 3 blocks from my home.....with no motorized traffic to contend with.....and it's peaceful & quiet, and scenic!

There are some things that we don't have here though! We don't have killer bees, fire ants, scorpions, hurricanes, major fault-lines (therefore no major earthquakes), volcanoes, avalanches, mudslides, extended periods of sub-zero temperatures (occasionally a few days a year), extended periods of 100-plus temperatures (again, occasionally a few days a year), and we very seldom get walloped with major snow falls....usually once every 10-15 years.

It may not be the best place on the planet to live, but I've yet to come across any place better....for me anyway!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2008, 11:52 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Count me as undecided. Too many options.
It's why I went into computer programming back in the dark ages, I think in 1s and zeros.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:56 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
It may not be the best place on the planet to live, but I've yet to come across any place better....for me anyway!
You make it sound very good. Is that row-crop country?

Ha
Old 03-07-2008, 03:37 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

We will stay put... but plan to do some extended travel.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:25 AM   #25

We're staying put in northern Illinois with some travel. I have to agree with Goonie that its a great place to live. Small town atmosphere, but 1 hour from Chicago.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:11 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - I'm currently north of Kansas City.

I have now relatives in D.C., Pensacola, San Diego and south of Seattle - friends in New Orleans, south of Chattanooga.

Any suggestions?

heh heh heh - family get together this year will be a mini gathering in Sept rental Carolina Outer Banks.

agile, mobile and hostile - 15th yr of ER. So if I get boredI can move -right?
Old 03-07-2008, 06:59 AM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
We have a Bernese...
Ladelfina - This is the last place I would have expected to find a fellow Bernese parent!

Sorry for taking this off topic for a moment. To bring it back home, our Bernese loves Dog Beach in San Diego, and our plan is to follow him there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP7275-sm-sm.jpg (126.3 KB, 172 views)
Old 03-07-2008, 07:07 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

We will probably stay put on Capitol Hill, DC. I think about trying something new but we already have most of the features we look for in a place to retire. When DW fully retires (probably next year) we may try staying for a month or two in various cities. Portland comes to mind and possibly some college towns. We want to be in a city center with a lot of activities, be able to walk to restaurants, etc.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:36 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
And, that leaves us lost. We've looked east, west, south, north (Duluth, but I hear Martha is working on some sort of ordinance) without much luck...
We could house share. You get winter. The skiing is great.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:59 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

right where i'm at, but some serious low cost vacations to warm climates are in order.
come on, dividends!
no mortgage and no way would i take on another while FIREd.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:29 AM   #31

We only moved about 80 miles, from just north of Wash. D.C. to the panhandle of West Virginia. Intolerable traffic there was the only reason for moving. DW wanted to stay within an hour of family west Frederick, MD. It works for us since her closest family is 35 easy-drive minutes away.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:09 AM   #32

I voted "out of region" mainly since we have done it twice already (Northern VA to NE Florida and then NE Florida to Central Ohio) and we plan to move from Central Ohio area in 2 to 7 more years, if we live long enough.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:47 AM   #33

Really toyed with the idea of moving out of country after my eldercaring my parent is done, but feel that I should be closer to investment information. Vanguard won't take your calls from out of country, and I do want to attend some financial courses still when I get out of here.
But, being in Illinois now where it has been mighty cold this winter (after 3 or 4 warm ones) has been not fun. And this is rated as only the 17th worst winter in history in the Iowa-Illinois border area. 17th worst!!! I am totally a sissy anymore. We can cancel those winter New Hampshire plans now.
I'm going out of region where the sun is. I am a biiiiiiiig wimp anymore.

By the way, donheff reminded me of my personal investment professor's way of learning where he wanted to relocate when retirement hit. He went to each State's county fairs, sometimes 6 a year, and looks around then. He chose S. Carolina that way (from Illinois). Pretty good idea, I thought, and caught two birds with one stone: saw the State Fair and the future retirement location. I know he has gone to every single State fair in the nation now. Amazing.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #34

I am fascinated that one would chose to live in my fair state on the basis of our state fair. Having been any number of times, it always made me want to move away! The SC state fair is in Columbia, which is possibly the most dismal state capital in the whole US. Thanks for the novel idea Orchidflower, but I have to ask, did he actually move to Cola?

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:50 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Come to the Texas State Fair, have a corn dog, a funnel cake, ride the Ferris wheel, check out the exhibits, say hello to "Big Tex". Then run like hell, before the fire-ants and rattlesnakes close in...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:18 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

The thought of moving again makes me want to gouge my eyes out. I like where I live, despite the fire ants, droughts, heat, etc. I don't plan on moving, but plans can change in the blink of an eye.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:57 PM   #37

In May we are going to visit Reno, Albuquerque, Las Cruces & El Paso to decide which of them we will move to when my wife retires next year. Our reasons for moving are simple, homes cost about half of what they do here near NYC, much less humidity, more sunshine & milder winters and a whole new section of the country to explore.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:01 PM   #38
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Columbia, which is possibly the most dismal state capital in the whole US
As someone who decided not to pursue a wonderful job opportunity solely due to the fact that it was in Columbia, despite never having actually seen Columbia, thank you for the above! I always wondered if Columbia was as dismal as I suspected.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:03 PM   #39

Yes, actually, more dismal than you expected. I promise! My aunt who lives there calls it the Jewel of the Congaree, but she's on medication.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:15 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Nothing definate yet. Thinking of moving back to town where I spent my teenage years, Paducah Ky. Or, maybe my college town, Murray Ky. I have read Murray is rated pretty highly for retirement. Also, house prices there seem rather reasonable.