Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Where will you likely live in retirement?
Same home or neighborhood 51 30.36%
Same city, town, or metro 19 11.31%
Same State 11 6.55%
Same Region-ie. Southeast. Pacific Coast, etc. 21 12.50%
Out of region 51 30.36%
Out of home country 15 8.93%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-2008, 09:16 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm sticking in town until I know where my 2 kids (now 9 and 7 y/o) end up, then, if they end up somewhere nice, and they still like my wife and I, hope to relocate close to them.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2008, 09:18 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeed View Post
I'm sticking in town until I know where my 2 kids (now 9 and 7 y/o) end up, then, if they end up somewhere nice, and they still like my wife and I, hope to relocate close to them.
Ask 73ss454 how well that's working out for him...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:59 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I'm frustrated being stuck in Minneapolis..
I feel the same way about this place -- long cold winter and hot-humid summer. I like to move back to (or near) the Bay Area, but DW prefers to stay because of her mom still lives here. DW complains about the weather a lot but makes up a lot of reasons why she would not like any place suggested, such as traffic, bad school system, inadequate number of shopping malls, etc.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:06 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
Is it a city, a town, a university? (There are many Marquettes.) Sounds like the university.. and you're not alone in your nostalgia for a time and place where possibilities were infinite. I feel the same about my college town.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Old 03-13-2008, 10:14 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
No. Marquette, Michigan in this case.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:17 AM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

Khan,
Exactly my situation. 30 years in this place and I have an old cat and dog both around 13 years. The cat in better shape than my dog. I'm toying with the idea of moving but really haven't checked it out yet as the dog is diabetic, blind and requires shots twice a day along with pills and eye drops. But she still loves her walks and food!
Old 03-15-2008, 09:11 PM   #67
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy1961 View Post
Has anyone here considered Mexico? That's all the talk up here in Minnesota.. can you let me know what you here, . Thanks
We spent 9 months in Mexico right after my husband retired, and loved it. With our rental we only spent 2,000/month and lived like kings with a gardner, no maid though. Startling blue skies every day and temps of 75. The lowest night time temp was 59 degrees. We were in Ajijic, just south of Guadalajara. It is only 3 hours to Manzanillo and 4 hours to Puerto VAllarta, both of which we visited. The ideal arrangement though in my estimation is to live in S. Texas in the winter and the summers in the highlands of Mexico. My ideal. Now if only I could pry my husband from Indiana, the armpit of the US.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:39 PM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexmeme View Post
Now if only I could pry my husband from Indiana, the armpit of the US.
And leave all this...

HFWR (former Hoosier)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:27 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Six months here in Canada at our lake lot (guess which months) and six in the southern U.S. Probably in an RV.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:20 PM   #70
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hey mexmeme

Indiana -- the armpit of the world?? I spent my first 22 years there as a born and bred Hoosier, and do I still live there?? Heck no -- and even though much extended family still does, I can't see my DH or myself ever deciding to either --- just had to have my say!!
Old 03-17-2008, 05:39 PM   #71
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

1966 - out of UW Seattle at Boeing - space cats transferred up from Huntsville, New Orleans - yucky armpit of--yadda, yadda!

1974 - transferred to New Orleans on new Space Shuttle Program - man I'm glad I made it outa of Seattle - yucky armpit of --yadda, yadda!

Something to be said for the eye of the beholder.

heh heh heh - me I drive across the wide Missouri to Kansas and look for for 'The Yellow Brick Road' now that I have plenty of time in ER. .

26 yrs PacNW, 4 Colorado, 2 Huntsville, 30 New Orleans, 2 and counting above the wide Missouri north side of Kansas City.

agile, mobile, and hostile - also an American Passport should the itch to travel get really itchy.