Poll- Where to retire?

Where will you likely live in retirement?

• Same home or neighborhood

Votes: 51 30.5%
  • Same city, town, or metro

Votes: 19 11.4%
  • Same State

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Same Region-ie. Southeast. Pacific Coast, etc.

Votes: 21 12.6%
  • Out of region

Votes: 50 29.9%
  • Out of home country

Votes: 15 9.0%

• Total voters

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have noticed how many threads deal with this topic. So I decided to make this my first poll.

I plan to stay put where I am, or within a few miles. I may go elsewhere from time to time for up to 6 months or so, but this will stay homebase.

Ha

Last edited:
I voted same metro area, which is my current plan, though I reserve the right to adapt...

Like people I know, I plan to stay put for about 3 years and then think it over. I, too, am restricted by health insurance coverage.

Been in the same house for 30 years (3+ retired). I'll reconsider when the cat dies.

Moved 2 yrs ago when we sold our too large home in Puget Sound region. Trying University town living across the state in Eastern Wa. Much, much less expensive and except for last month's snow, weather overall has been better too.
nwsteve

I'm a couple of years from ER and will likely stay put. I don't like change. However, I've considered moving to areas that I've lived before (Denver, Las Vegas, southern California).

As far as cats go, I agree with Khan. I wouldn't move while my current cat is still with me. It's her home. Also, I have 3 cats buried in my yard. If I moved it would feel like I was leaving them behind (although they're in air-tight pet caskets so I could "bring them along").

Where is the option I wish I knew ? I'm always playing with the where should I move thoughts . The move to Florida was not my choice my late husband always wanted to live here and I came along for the ride . I'm not unhappy here but I also miss my family in PA. and upstate New York .As most of you can see from my recent thread I'm not sure what I should do stay put ,continue to travel back and forth ( the miles are piling up ) or move to one place ??

Last edited:
Same region, weather-based, quality of life, etc. We would have a tough time leaving warm weather. Kids' plans might change that but doubt we'd full-time in the real cold places.

I've already been true to my vote by moving out of region.
Stiil have Florida in the back of my mind and if REW ever gets rid of those spiders, scorpions, snakes, mailmen with an attitude, droughts, heat waves and floods--I might even return to Texas...>:D

... if REW ever gets rid of those spiders, scorpions, snakes, mailmen with an attitude, droughts, heat waves and floods--I might even return to Texas...>:D

Sorry, your Texican citizenship has been revoked. I'll be happy to mail you some fire ants and chiggers if you want a reminder of 'home'. :D

i'm tired of living where people go to retire, having been in florida for about 35 years already. also i was here to enjoy the company mostly of those now dead or gone. the remaining few plan eventually to leave as well. the only thing holding me back (besides the current economy) is fear of experiencing life elsewhere.

here i have security & familiarity, but i want to be willing to sacrifice that so i might enjoy experiences unavailable here.

Staying put until kids are ready to leave nest. After that I might think about trying to be a snowbird for a while or eventually relocating to a vacation spot. No definite plans.

I put "out of country" because that's where we are ER'd now. If that were to change we would likely go back to my original stomping grounds in NE somewhere, because of family. I can see the appeal of other areas of the US, but having already made one move to a zone where we have no personal ties closer than a few hours away.. I'm not sure a second similar move would be worth the trouble.

I'm a couple of years from ER and will likely stay put. I don't like change. However, I've considered moving to areas that I've lived before (Denver, Las Vegas, southern California).

As far as cats go, I agree with Khan. I wouldn't move while my current cat is still with me. It's her home. Also, I have 3 cats buried in my yard. If I moved it would feel like I was leaving them behind (although they're in air-tight pet caskets so I could "bring them along").

I've buried four cats in the back yard (one in the front under the violets); I imagine they have all turned to topsoil by now.

When you figure it out, let me know. Maybe I'll move there too.

I'm frustrated being stuck in Minneapolis but the economy always does ok, I have a great network, and my wife and I have good jobs. At the same time, once you get past the icebox winters it's not too bad in the summer and fall makes everything worthwhile here. So, it looks like we're at least here until we can semi-fire.

At the same time, I cannot figure out where I want to go after that. Going back to Marquette has always been sort of a daydream for my wife and I, but I think we're partially just idealizing college. It's a time of coming into your own, freedom, and no rigid responsibilities. I'm not sure we'd truly be happy moving back there.

And, that leaves us lost. We've looked east, west, south, north (Duluth, but I hear Martha is working on some sort of ordinance) without much luck...

I think we may end up keeping some sort of residence here and then just doing some lazy moves across the country.

From what I have perceived through family and friends, cats adapt better than you might think to moves. I wouldn't make where I chose to live predicate upon the concerns of a cat; they'll do ok.

My sis took a NE shelter cat for a number of years and then she moved to LA and the cat lived there a good while thereafter. After it passed, they took in an LA stray and after several years moved with this second cat back to NE, where it was fine for quite a while until it, too, passed from old age. Both also went through various levels of having to stay inside vs. outside, etc.

For many pets, their "home" is where you are.. The dynamic of 'nature' is already somewhat distorted just by having a pet in the first place. We have a Bernese, so we would never move to a hot climate that would make him suffer needlessly, but other than that.. I'm positive he cares not where he is as long as his 'pack' is with him.

Marquette.. what is the Marquette you are dreaming of? The fact that you use this as your 'handle' says that it's an important place to you.

Is it a city, a town, a university? (There are many Marquettes.) Sounds like the university.. and you're not alone in your nostalgia for a time and place where possibilities were infinite. I feel the same about my college town.

I ER'd 11 months ago tomorrow (Friday), and I've been here in the old family homestead for ~50 years, and don't plan on pulling up roots. I like this area (north central IL).....weather and all. I travel a couple months out of the year, but always look forward to returning back here to the roost.

IL income tax is only 3%, and my pension is exempt from even that! Local property taxes are fairly low, and sales tax is 7% (food & meds = 1%). I'm close enough to Chicago to be able to enjoy the many good things the city has to offer......and far enough away from Chicago to not have to deal with the bad stuff the city has to offer. It's only 1 to 1.5 hours to Chicago, Rockford, Peoria, Bloomington-Normal, and the Quad-cities, so there's a whole slew of options for entertainment, shopping, air travel, and other misc stuff. I'm about 15-20 minutes away from several very nice state parks, and about 20-25 minutes from the community college. Within walking and/or bicycling distance, I have a couple of rivers and several creeks to fish in. And for leisurely bicycle riding, I have easy access to a 61.5 mile walking/bicycling trail that's located 3 blocks from my home.....with no motorized traffic to contend with.....and it's peaceful & quiet, and scenic!

There are some things that we don't have here though! We don't have killer bees, fire ants, scorpions, hurricanes, major fault-lines (therefore no major earthquakes), volcanoes, avalanches, mudslides, extended periods of sub-zero temperatures (occasionally a few days a year), extended periods of 100-plus temperatures (again, occasionally a few days a year), and we very seldom get walloped with major snow falls....usually once every 10-15 years.

It may not be the best place on the planet to live, but I've yet to come across any place better....for me anyway! :D

Count me as undecided. Too many options.
It's why I went into computer programming back in the dark ages, I think in 1s and zeros.

It may not be the best place on the planet to live, but I've yet to come across any place better....for me anyway! :D

You make it sound very good. Is that row-crop country?

Ha

We will stay put... but plan to do some extended travel.

We're staying put in northern Illinois with some travel. I have to agree with Goonie that its a great place to live. Small town atmosphere, but 1 hour from Chicago.

Back
Top Bottom