Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Where will you likely live in retirement?
Same home or neighborhood 51 30.36%
Same city, town, or metro 19 11.31%
Same State 11 6.55%
Same Region-ie. Southeast. Pacific Coast, etc. 21 12.50%
Out of region 51 30.36%
Out of home country 15 8.93%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Poll- Where to retire?
Old 03-06-2008, 05:45 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll- Where to retire?

I have noticed how many threads deal with this topic. So I decided to make this my first poll.

I plan to stay put where I am, or within a few miles. I may go elsewhere from time to time for up to 6 months or so, but this will stay homebase.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Same state--for the health insurance and for family and friends.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Out of region. Cost of living number 1 reason.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:01 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I voted same metro area, which is my current plan, though I reserve the right to adapt...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Like people I know, I plan to stay put for about 3 years and then think it over. I, too, am restricted by health insurance coverage.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:13 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Been in the same house for 30 years (3+ retired). I'll reconsider when the cat dies.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #7

Khan, you don't have to go when the cat dies, we'll send you another one!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:53 PM   #8

Moved 2 yrs ago when we sold our too large home in Puget Sound region. Trying University town living across the state in Eastern Wa. Much, much less expensive and except for last month's snow, weather overall has been better too.
nwsteve
Old 03-06-2008, 07:56 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a couple of years from ER and will likely stay put. I don't like change. However, I've considered moving to areas that I've lived before (Denver, Las Vegas, southern California).

As far as cats go, I agree with Khan. I wouldn't move while my current cat is still with me. It's her home. Also, I have 3 cats buried in my yard. If I moved it would feel like I was leaving them behind (although they're in air-tight pet caskets so I could "bring them along").
Old 03-06-2008, 07:57 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Where is the option I wish I knew ? I'm always playing with the where should I move thoughts . The move to Florida was not my choice my late husband always wanted to live here and I came along for the ride . I'm not unhappy here but I also miss my family in PA. and upstate New York .As most of you can see from my recent thread I'm not sure what I should do stay put ,continue to travel back and forth ( the miles are piling up ) or move to one place ??
Old 03-06-2008, 08:10 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Same region, weather-based, quality of life, etc. We would have a tough time leaving warm weather. Kids' plans might change that but doubt we'd full-time in the real cold places.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:17 PM   #12

I've already been true to my vote by moving out of region.
Stiil have Florida in the back of my mind and if REW ever gets rid of those spiders, scorpions, snakes, mailmen with an attitude, droughts, heat waves and floods--I might even return to Texas...
Old 03-06-2008, 08:23 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
... if REW ever gets rid of those spiders, scorpions, snakes, mailmen with an attitude, droughts, heat waves and floods--I might even return to Texas...
Sorry, your Texican citizenship has been revoked. I'll be happy to mail you some fire ants and chiggers if you want a reminder of 'home'.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:33 PM   #14

i'm tired of living where people go to retire, having been in florida for about 35 years already. also i was here to enjoy the company mostly of those now dead or gone. the remaining few plan eventually to leave as well. the only thing holding me back (besides the current economy) is fear of experiencing life elsewhere.

here i have security & familiarity, but i want to be willing to sacrifice that so i might enjoy experiences unavailable here.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:33 PM   #15

Staying put until kids are ready to leave nest. After that I might think about trying to be a snowbird for a while or eventually relocating to a vacation spot. No definite plans.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:35 PM   #16

I put "out of country" because that's where we are ER'd now. If that were to change we would likely go back to my original stomping grounds in NE somewhere, because of family. I can see the appeal of other areas of the US, but having already made one move to a zone where we have no personal ties closer than a few hours away.. I'm not sure a second similar move would be worth the trouble.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:44 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
I'm a couple of years from ER and will likely stay put. I don't like change. However, I've considered moving to areas that I've lived before (Denver, Las Vegas, southern California).

As far as cats go, I agree with Khan. I wouldn't move while my current cat is still with me. It's her home. Also, I have 3 cats buried in my yard. If I moved it would feel like I was leaving them behind (although they're in air-tight pet caskets so I could "bring them along").
I've buried four cats in the back yard (one in the front under the violets); I imagine they have all turned to topsoil by now.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:24 PM   #18

When you figure it out, let me know. Maybe I'll move there too.

I'm frustrated being stuck in Minneapolis but the economy always does ok, I have a great network, and my wife and I have good jobs. At the same time, once you get past the icebox winters it's not too bad in the summer and fall makes everything worthwhile here. So, it looks like we're at least here until we can semi-fire.

At the same time, I cannot figure out where I want to go after that. Going back to Marquette has always been sort of a daydream for my wife and I, but I think we're partially just idealizing college. It's a time of coming into your own, freedom, and no rigid responsibilities. I'm not sure we'd truly be happy moving back there.

And, that leaves us lost. We've looked east, west, south, north (Duluth, but I hear Martha is working on some sort of ordinance) without much luck...

I think we may end up keeping some sort of residence here and then just doing some lazy moves across the country.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:35 PM   #19

From what I have perceived through family and friends, cats adapt better than you might think to moves. I wouldn't make where I chose to live predicate upon the concerns of a cat; they'll do ok.

My sis took a NE shelter cat for a number of years and then she moved to LA and the cat lived there a good while thereafter. After it passed, they took in an LA stray and after several years moved with this second cat back to NE, where it was fine for quite a while until it, too, passed from old age. Both also went through various levels of having to stay inside vs. outside, etc.

For many pets, their "home" is where you are.. The dynamic of 'nature' is already somewhat distorted just by having a pet in the first place. We have a Bernese, so we would never move to a hot climate that would make him suffer needlessly, but other than that.. I'm positive he cares not where he is as long as his 'pack' is with him.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:47 PM   #20

Marquette.. what is the Marquette you are dreaming of? The fact that you use this as your 'handle' says that it's an important place to you.

Is it a city, a town, a university? (There are many Marquettes.) Sounds like the university.. and you're not alone in your nostalgia for a time and place where possibilities were infinite. I feel the same about my college town.