Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Why Retire Early?
Dissatisfaction with work. (e.g. boss, commute, politics, boredom) 141 53.61%
Desire to pursue leisure activities (e.g. travel, sports, hobbies) 175 66.54%
Desire to work in a different capacity (e.g. volunteer, small business, part-time) 48 18.25%
Desire to spend more time with family, friends and loved ones 91 34.60%
Desire to care for a loved one with health issues 18 6.84%
Your health (poor health or desire to become healthier) 51 19.39%
Freedom to pursue your love of art, music, and/or culture 49 18.63%
Freedom to live in a different place 57 21.67%
Ability to live a quiet, tranquil and reflective life 119 45.25%
Other 34 12.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2011, 10:19 AM   #41

About equal incentives to retire were the issues of having to plan our lives around the insane traffic in the Washington, D.C. area and the frustration/difficulty of persuading management of the importance of keeping up with the rapid changes in computer forensics. It is admittedly an expensive unit to run, but so are DNA labs, and the payoffs are just as huge.

So I bailed at the top of my game and I'm happy with that part of it. DW was stressed at her job, often working 10-12 hour days six or sometimes seven days a week and having frequent headaches, back and shoulder pain from all that time at a keyboard.

We had zero debt and a COLA'd pension, medical and prescription coverage, and when I looked at the numbers, even taking a spousal benefit option, my monthly net income would go up since I was maxed out on the 457. Given the circumstances it was hard to find a reason NOT to retire and move to West Virginia!

We thought about it - "Are we making the right decision?" and later "Did we make the right decision?" because if we'd stayed we'd be in top 5% of income households. But the clincher came six months after the move when one of my sisters said "You two look more relaxed than I've seen you in years."

Then "the light dawned over Marblehead".

So for the moment yeah, I have a job, but I still have my KMA hat, it's low-stress, has an easy 3.4 mile commute, the hours align with my circadian rhythms, and it does not involve paperwork or heavy lifting. While the bulk of the unplanned-for income goes to savings (at this point that's probably hardwired in both of us) we still have the freedom to indulge in what we would otherwise consider frivolous nonsense.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2011, 10:25 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
It is funny how things turn out . I never planned on starting a business and here I am with a successful (hobby ) business .

I get you...but I brought so many expensive things I collected over the years that I don't need but couldn't throw away that I will be forced to sell them on ebay, so I probably will be joining you in that, Moemg, when things settle down here totally (house finally put totally together, taxes done and so forth). However, even doing that will still leave time for play.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:38 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
However, even doing that will still leave time for play.
That's the best part . Lot's of time to play and extra money to play with !
Old 02-13-2011, 09:09 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmfromTx View Post
I don't know how to do quotes but what W2R said suits me perfectly. I would add that I'm going out at the top of my game on my own terms and with respect and friendship with the folks I work with. I feel very satisfied and lucky with that aspect of my life.

Yep.

I have avoided some promotion opportunities over the last couple of years... why complicate my life when I intend to leave. I know that has some people at w*rk scratching their heads.

Heh, heh, heh... I have no doubt there will be more than a few jealous peers when I announce "au revoir"!

It will probably cause several to have personal remorse about not preparing for FIRE themselves!

Old 02-13-2011, 11:21 AM   #45

It was no choice of mine. I was laid off. Me and another 1.200.

Doesnīt mean I wasnīt extremely glad when it happened. At that moment i was the HR manager of a 3500 worker shipyard (a position I wasnīt suited for), and the unions were giving me a tough time. Not to mention my Central Headquarters bosses. And my local Director of the yard.

I was 55 when I stepped out. Never looked back.

If the downsizing hadnīt taken place I would have had to carry on -probably not in the same position- till I reached 65.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #46
Dryer sheet wannabe

Send a message via ICQ to Music
I want to retire early for many reasons.

1.) Been doing the same thing for 40 + years. Tired of it and I want something new.
2.) In recent years politics has invaded the work place and I don't want any part of this trend.
3.) I want that feeling again. I remember the feeling I had when I regained my Freedom for Uncle Sam's Canoe Club. I want that again.
4.) I planned when I started working this job, that I would retire at 55. Close but it's coming.
5.) "I Want to Do, What I Want Do" Having fulfilled my expected societal obligations to my family and society it is time.
6.) Because I Can!
Old 02-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
It was no choice of mine. I was laid off. Me and another 1.200.

I was 55 when I stepped out. Never looked back.

If the downsizing hadnīt taken place I would have had to carry on -probably not in the same position- till I reached 65.
Vicente, I think we must be soul mates as similar things happened to me at the same age.

Now I'm finding that I can grow in ways that weren't possible before because I was always doing it for another institution, not me. I love analyzing things and now I can do that with stocks, physics, gardening, exercise, ... virtually anything I want. ER was a wonderful gift even if it happened prematurely.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:09 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Yep.

I have avoided some promotion opportunities over the last couple of years... why complicate my life when I intend to leave. I know that has some people at w*rk scratching their heads.

Heh, heh, heh... I have no doubt there will be more than a few jealous peers when I announce "au revoir"!

It will probably cause several to have personal remorse about not preparing for FIRE themselves!

Heh, I have told my immediate boss (with whom I am pretty close) that another promotion would be grounds for me quitting. A ton of more crap for an extra pittance.

I picked every single option except the one about taking care of an ill relative (although perhaps the elderly dog who landed in the vet hospital overnight tonight qualifies). Gawd, please get me out soon...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:29 AM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

I chose 1, 2 and 6. Am into my 6th month of retirement and found out that I now have a new interest (don't consider it work) - I'm a regular homemaker. Cook 2 meals a day, run errands and get the home in order. However, still get lots of time to pursue activities and travel.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:44 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

9 out of 10 for me Currently no sick relatives to care for.

I can't wait to FIRE! Reason #1 is because my career of 25 years has devolved over the last 10 years and I'm really bored. It's depressing.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

I didn't mind the work too much, but it's all about the dissatisfiers.

And then I learned how to surf...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Other.

After the dust settled, I embraced ER and now realize that a loafer is much more than a shoe.

Words to live by.

I checked all but 3 in the poll.

Free to canoe
Old 02-20-2011, 11:13 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

1,2,4,6!
Old 02-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I voted the Hat Trick (hockey terminology for 3 goals in 1 game).

Dissatisfaction with w*rk,
my Health (desire to be healthier - carpal tunnel and upper body RSI), and
the Ability to live quiet, tranquil etc. life

When I look at photos taken of me when I was w*rking, compared to postFIRE photos, I am utterly amazed at the difference. I actually look young again.
I did the same before/after comparison for Mr B. Identical results.
Scientists have said that stress ages us, some even prematurely. Free radicals and all that stuff. When you remove the stress, you remove the cause of the premature aging. Combine this with better maintenance (e.g., more sleep, physical fitness, better diet) you can actually reverse the signs of aging somewhat (give or take 5-10 years).
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #55
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby View Post
...you can actually reverse the signs of aging somewhat (give or take 5-10 years).
Maybe. An article from yesterday's newspaper:

The Secrets to a Long Life | Parade.com
Old 02-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Maybe. An article from yesterday's newspaper:

The Secrets to a Long Life | Parade.com
I didn't say you would live longer, only that you could look younger. It's all about looking good.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:34 PM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

Because there were things I wanted to do while most of my body still worked most of the time and I couldn't do them while employed.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:57 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

For me the reasons are:
Dissatisfaction with work. (e.g. boss, commute, politics, boredom)
Desire to pursue leisure activities (e.g. travel, sports, hobbies)
Desire to spend more time with family, friends and loved ones

I remember my Aunt coming to visit me shortly after retiring, she kept talking about being on vacation.. we had to keep reminder her that she was retired, and on a permanent vacation!

I've been working since the age of 15, and dreaming of the day (August 31st, 2012) when I will be on a permanent vacation just like her.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I was layed off at age 49. Neither she nor I wanted to leave New Orleans for the sake of equivalent employment.

Got down with my cheap, bad self and discovered I could live with savings/investments. Toss in about 1 yr of temp work and then she retired also.

Jan. 1, 1993 ended full time employment.

Heh heh heh - Was a 'sheepish' unemployed until age 55 early small pension check and then and then stumbled across this forum surfing with my Webtv.

Been a 'high class ER' ever since.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:30 PM   #60

#1, 2, and 3 for me. I plan to do more volunteering in different parts of the world.

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote