Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-05-2008, 04:21 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting chart Midpack. Thanks

Did everyone see the section on expenses. It shows that they rise when one ages. I suppose that is for healthcare costs or assisted living. I have been reading that discretionary spending decreases. For those with extra funds, it may wind up being a wash. But for those on the edge, I can see how they would struggle.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2008, 05:05 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I thought it was interesting how many older citizens still live in really cold climates .
I live in the "north" (mid-Atlantic state); I've lived in the south (Florida, Texas).

Maybe it's because I was born/raised "up north", I prefer the change of seasons. As a personal note, I enjoy "lower moderate daytime temps" (50-60's) which are not "normal" below the Mason-Dixon line (as does my DW).

It's a good thing we all have different "preferences" (other than most living less than 100 miles from a coast), or this country would have more problems (population wise).

An additional retirement point? I pay no state/local tax on my retirement income.

Different strokes...

- Ron

Old 07-05-2008, 07:44 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Oh, great. Just what I needed. Another cheerleader.

Get in line behind REW, Nords, Jarhead and a few other misfits. They're just jealous that I get to go to work while all they can do is sit around. OK, maybe they play a little golf and visit wtih the grandkids. Or take a trip in the RV. Maybe surf a little. Sleep in. Get the motorcycle out once in a while. Lie on the beach, take morning walks. Not put up with bean counter drones. Garden.

This bear market has set me back easily another 3 - 5 years.
A little golf? Don't be silly.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:47 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I wouldn't complain about aging if 40 year women look like her:

http://www.eyespyfilms.com/portrait%...a_tessa_01.jpg

Oh, and she can swim as well..

Torres, 41, books place in fifth Olympics - CNN.com
Old 07-05-2008, 02:46 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I'm wondering about some of those figures. For instance, what do they mean by median household income when the majority don't work? A lot of those retirees are living off of SS + savings. We certainly will be when SS kicks in. Our reported income, which would be adjusted gross income I guess, would seriously underestimate how well we live.

LSBCAL
Old 07-06-2008, 08:59 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
Some of the northern states have great health care as well.. and it's not like we're the desolate north. Honestly, if you're used to the seasons, the only really bad part is January-February and then only if you need to be outside on the worst days.

And, if your kids are still here, you might not want to move.

I think it'd be more informative to see a population count by age quartile and trend that over the last 30 years. My hunch is that you'd see a fairly smooth trend in the 50-80 year olds while the southern states would show a much greater growth for the 15-30 year olds. You'd then want to overlay that with where the growth is coming from. It might be inflated for some states if they're experiencing a greater influx of immigrants.

Or, in other words, the core numbers are probably similar but percentages are way different due to changes in youth demographics more than anything.
If you're willing to pay the $600 subscription fee to demographicsnow.com, I'm willing to run the tools for you. The data are from census and other 3rd party sources, but the numerous ways you can dissect, project, and cross all kinds of data is not matched by any other web demographics tools. No, I don't work for them. I really just want to have my free subscription back.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:10 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
I'm wondering about some of those figures. For instance, what do they mean by median household income when the majority don't work?

LSBCAL
I don't work (being retired ), but according to my Federal Income Tax documents, I do have "income" (consisting of my SPIA and portfolio withdrawls from my rollover IRA).

Of course, when I start my SS (in another 9.5 years) that will be considered as income, since at that time I'll be paying the 85% maximum (I'm sure it will be 100% by that time, regardless of who is "in charge" ).

- Ron
Old 07-06-2008, 10:24 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
If you're willing to pay the $600 subscription fee to demographicsnow.com, I'm willing to run the tools for you. The data are from census and other 3rd party sources, but the numerous ways you can dissect, project, and cross all kinds of data is not matched by any other web demographics tools. No, I don't work for them. I really just want to have my free subscription back.
That sounds tempting, but I'd rather pontificate without facts
Old 07-06-2008, 04:56 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I attended church services today and, even though there was a large crowd, the thing that struck me most was how gray the congregation was. I know there are many younger persons, and it's a holiday weekend ... but even so, a room of almost nothing but gray-haired men and women? Perhaps an omen of the future?