Join Early Retirement Today

Portrait of an Aging Nation
Old 07-04-2008, 06:27 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Portrait of an Aging Nation

Nothing earthshaking, but interesting IMO...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2082087516_964072ef75_o.jpg (185.8 KB, 182 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2008, 07:02 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, very interesting! The clear presentation really drives the facts home.

For example, 35% of income for those over 65 years old goes to health care (and presumably that percentage will increase as health care costs increase). That is quite a bit.

And yet, median household income for those aged 65 and older is only $26,322. That is per household, not per individual.

I am thinking that the figures showing percentages of elderly women working vs elderly men working probably cannot be projected onto younger generations. I am 60, and I believe that my generation was one of the first in which women more often established working careers outside the home instead of working as a housewife. So, I speculate that percentages of elderly women who work may start approaching analogous percentages for elderly men, in coming years.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 07:09 AM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

I thought it was interesting how many older citizens still live in really cold climates .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 07:32 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

33% of men 65-69 work.

Looks like RiT isn't the only guy REWahoo can't get through to.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 07:39 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
33% of men 65-69 work.

I wouldn't waste my time on him if he didn't seem like an otherwise rational guy...
Old 07-04-2008, 07:47 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
For example, 35% of income for those over 65 years old goes to health care (and presumably that percentage will increase as health care costs increase). That is quite a bit.
I was assuming that this estimate already assumes health care costs continuing to escalate faster than incomes for another 22 years.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 07:51 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I was assuming that this estimate already assumes health care costs continuing to escalate faster than incomes for another 22 years.
You're right - - this figure is expected in 2030, and I missed that. Good catch!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:33 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
33% of men 65-69 work.
Hey - I ain't even 60 .

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Hey - I ain't even 60 .
Yet
Old 07-04-2008, 08:38 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I thought it was interesting how many older citizens still live in really cold climates .
That really caught my eye, too. I don't have many theories why that would be... it's so nice here in the south

Charlotte
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:46 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
That really caught my eye, too. I don't have many theories why that would be... it's so nice here in the south
I'd have some theories, but nothing I am sure about.

Many of the more vibrant job markets are in the sunbelt now. So many younger people are going there for economic opportunities.

And I would also think that there are quite a few elderly in colder climates who can't afford to move. On a board like this, it's easy to lose sight of the fact that there are a pretty large number of our elders who don't have much more than a Social Security check. They can afford neither the cost of moving to a more pleasant climate nor the cost of housing and living in many of those areas.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:06 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yet
Oh, great. Just what I needed. Another cheerleader.

Get in line behind REW, Nords, Jarhead and a few other misfits. They're just jealous that I get to go to work while all they can do is sit around. OK, maybe they play a little golf and visit wtih the grandkids. Or take a trip in the RV. Maybe surf a little. Sleep in. Get the motorcycle out once in a while. Lie on the beach, take morning walks. Not put up with bean counter drones. Garden.

This bear market has set me back easily another 3 - 5 years.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:12 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:

This bear market has set me back easily another 3 - 5 years.
Wuss. Real men don't let a couple of bad market days interfere with living their lives.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:18 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Charlotte
Wonder how it would compare with a COL map of the USA? Just a theory...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Oh, great. Just what I needed. Another cheerleader.
Well, I see it like this... at just 30, I'm the right age to take over reminding you to ER when the rest of them are so deep into retirement that they don't bother to check in here any more. I figure my time will come to carry the torch in another 15-20 years.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I'd have some theories, but nothing I am sure about.

Many of the more vibrant job markets are in the sunbelt now. So many younger people are going there for economic opportunities.

And I would also think that there are quite a few elderly in colder climates who can't afford to move. On a board like this, it's easy to lose sight of the fact that there are a pretty large number of our elders who don't have much more than a Social Security check. They can afford neither the cost of moving to a more pleasant climate nor the cost of housing and living in many of those areas.
Some of the northern states have great health care as well.. and it's not like we're the desolate north. Honestly, if you're used to the seasons, the only really bad part is January-February and then only if you need to be outside on the worst days.

And, if your kids are still here, you might not want to move.

I think it'd be more informative to see a population count by age quartile and trend that over the last 30 years. My hunch is that you'd see a fairly smooth trend in the 50-80 year olds while the southern states would show a much greater growth for the 15-30 year olds. You'd then want to overlay that with where the growth is coming from. It might be inflated for some states if they're experiencing a greater influx of immigrants.

Or, in other words, the core numbers are probably similar but percentages are way different due to changes in youth demographics more than anything.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:53 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Charlotte
Perhaps some Norwegian widow type fingers have frozen to the mailbox trying to get their dividend checks. .

Shortly off to Tonganoxie Kansas where I don't have to supply a side dish or any fireworks this year - one of those 'rich' railroad retiree's say's bring yer body - I got the grill covered.

Happy 4th everyone!

heh heh heh - My portfolio may have gone up with time in ER - but at heart I'm still a cheap bastard - although I did fill up with 3.84 gas(up from 3.75 earlier this week).
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

So if I manage to live to age 75 then it'll be two girls for every boy, just like the Beachboys promised?

Quote:
Well, I see it like this... at just 30, I'm the right age to take over reminding you to ER when the rest of them are so deep into retirement that they don't bother to check in here any more. I figure my time will come to carry the torch in another 15-20 years.
We're pulling, you're pushing!

I believe at least 15% of Hawaii's population is already over 65.

And that median household income number is meaningless without the context of median household expenses...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:21 PM   #19

who cares about health care costs. just think how this is going to effect demographics at the disco. old fat hairy guys dancing with their shirts off. this is just dreadful.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:52 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
who cares about health care costs. just think how this is going to effect demographics at the disco. old fat hairy guys dancing with their shirts off. this is just dreadful.
Hmmm - skip the disco - how far past 65 can I go before before the old age police take away my boom and thunder badge. I did ok at the BBQ watching the kids shoot a few fire works - but the third Kansas fireworks I past on the way back got me - I did keep it under $300 this year and held some discipline - shot half after the ten o clock Kansas City fireworks show on tv.

heh heh heh - If I get too old for Missouri - I can move across the river to Kansas and boost their old age demographics.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote