Join Early Retirement Today

Positives and negatives of early retirement
Old 03-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Positives and negatives of early retirement

A nice post on the advantages and disadvantages of early retirement: http://www.financialsamurai.com/2013...and-negatives/

I like the concluding paragraph:

Quote:
Retiring early is a blessing because our bodies still allow us to climb the steepest Mayan steps and start the most daunting businesses when we are younger. Hopefully this post gives you some inspiration to get up a little earlier, save more after-tax income, and take calculated risks to retire early as well. The feeling of being able to do whatever you want is priceless. Just know that once you’re retired you may very well want to go back to work!
Well .... maybe not the last sentence .....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #2

Cute article. I'll let you know how much I agree or disagree with it in about 2 or 3 years LOL
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I like how he listed the loss of a lousy commute as his first positive. That was certainly my #1 positive from ERing.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I don't see the negatives as all that bad. How can vacations no longer be as exciting? I can see the loneliness thing but perhaps it depends on ones personality, or if your work environment is also your social life. And I think getting lazy at this point in life is well deserved.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:55 AM   #5

Getting ready for another long day. This is exactly the type of article I needed to read. Very inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

Small exception in my case : I will still have cleaners come in once every few weeks when I am FIREd. :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
A nice post on the advantages and disadvantages of early retirement: http://www.financialsamurai.com/2013...and-negatives/

I like the concluding paragraph:

Well .... maybe not the last sentence .....
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:45 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for this. With very few differences, this was spot-on for my retirement experience, one year in. While I have no urge to "start the most daunting business", I have climbed "the steepest Mayan (well, Incan) steps" since retiring. I actually do want to try my hand at golf now, though. When I was a working stiff I was always dismissive of golf as "a good walk spoiled". Now I can try, and use my age as an excuse for my poor score. If it would only stop snowing...
Old 03-20-2013, 06:02 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Interesting article and much of it is consistent with my experience one year in, but some not.

I thought this quote was interesting.
Quote:
The older we get the more we are willing to trade money for time since we have less of it.
I've been saying this for years. When you are young you have lots of time and are poor so money is a more valuable commodity than time. Later in life, if you work (particularly in a challenging job) and have accumulated some wealth, you have plenty of money but time is a more valuable commodity.

I have found the lazy part especially true because if something doesn't get done today in most cases it can get done tomorrow - which becomes a slippery slope of procrastination. I haven't found the less money part true, thanks to Mr. Market my nestegg is higher today than it was when I retired.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

It is a pretty good article. Most of what he says rings true for me eight years in. He expresses some unease with laziness/lack of productivity that I didn't feel but then he retired at 35 or so after a relatively short (if kick-ass) career. Most of us sorta ERs retired after 30-40 years of hard work and are quite satisfied that we put our productive time in, thank you. He also has a somewhat less engaging piece on how it feels to be financially independent. But that one ends with three links to commercial products that will help you save -- that pitch makes the whole piece ring false.

Edit: after posting I looked at his home page mast head and realized the three commercial links are prominent there as well. He has built an income stream with adds on his site and there is nothing wrong with that. The mini-paragraphs in his FI piece still ring phony but seem less obnoxious in the context of the overall site.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

One of the biggest fears working people have before retirement is figuring out what they are going to do with all their free time.

I've been retired 6 years and the time has flown by. Kind of scary when you think about it. Of course a lot of my time was spent caring for my Mom and now that she is gone, one could argue that I will just now start experiencing the lifestyle of a true early retiree with no responsibilities. But other than getting over her loss(which won't be easy), I don't think I will have a problem staying busy. I love golf and can play 5 days a week without getting tired of it. I also love taking long walks with the mutt. And over the next few months I will be getting one of my two houses ready to sell. Probably both at some point. And I plan to do some traveling. So I can't imagine being bored going forward.

I used to love golf but at $58 and five hours a round, I’ve kind of lost interest. If I had a close golfing buddy who could play from 11am to 4pm on the weekdays, I’d probably enjoy it more.

Again, not a problem for me. I pay a monthly fee and my average cost per round is just under $20. Still not a cheap hobby, but not too bad. And where I play, it doesn't take 5 hours to play a round of golf. Usually just under 3 hours. Plus there are 8-12 golfers who show up at a set time to play everyday, so no problem getting up a group. I wouldn't enjoy playing by myself everyday.

He does make a lot of good points in the article. But we all have different experiences.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:53 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I'm looking forward to enjoying the benefits and facing the challenges outlined in the article.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:57 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Good article, thanks. More complete than many online articles. I can identify with many but not all of the positives, negatives, and observations - but then I suspect most of us would agree or take exception to different bullet points. He seems to write it from the perspective of a 65+ year old, where I think there are some differences for early retirees. YMMV

I am sure the last sentence will rub some members the wrong way...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Finally someone agrees with me about cleaning the house! I got a bit roasted on these forums a few months ago saying I was looking forward to more vacuuming.

He did sound a bit like a whiner regarding vacations. You know, I have all this money and it is such a darn pain to plan for vacations. Come on dude, get over it.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Not to worry, Joe - I actually like house cleaning too. And my wife (still working) really appreciates it.

One thing I noted from the blog was the authors apparent ability to have a lot of human interaction. That has been my biggest problem with ER, being almost 2 years into it. I don't find very many people (especially my age) that are around on weekdays to socially interact with. I live in the burbs, which adds to this issue. So far, I find that having to drive 30 miles round-trip to volunteer, or join clubs, etc. it not appealing to me. When my DW retires, I have been planning to move to an active adult community, just for the social activities.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #14

Very interesting site with some interesting observations.
Except that his goal is not really ER, but part-time w#rk running his web business.
Not that there's anything wrong with that
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

"Come into work earlier and leave a little earlier." he says. "Your stress level will go way down."

In my neck of the woods, this search for tranquillity has resulted in the roads being jammed with angry commuters before 6 a.m.!

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #16

Thank you for sharing the link. The article was worth reading.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Just know that once you’re retired you may very well want to go back to work!
Maybe, but has not happened to me.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Small exception in my case : I will still have cleaners come in once every few weeks when I am FIREd. :-)

I am with you! DH and I decided that having someone come in and do the mundane cleaning every so often will be well worth it!
Old 03-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
Quote:
Just know that once you’re retired you may very well want to go back to work!
Maybe, but has not happened to me.
+1. I also think there's a big difference between starting a business (OP) and going back to w*rk. YMMV.

Tyro
Old 03-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
"Come into work earlier and leave a little earlier." he says. "Your stress level will go way down."

In my neck of the woods, this search for tranquillity has resulted in the roads being jammed with angry commuters before 6 a.m.!

Amethyst
+1
Rush "hour" is continuously expanding in most metro areas.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote