Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
What with all the hobbies I have and general house upkeep, just have not found a good reason to have a goal. Having a goal seems like the dreaded 4 letter word w*rk.
Yep.

I opted for free range retirement rather than the feed lot variety.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Old 06-02-2010, 02:27 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

We don't need no steenking goals.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:30 PM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
You must. How can we do your annual review without a few to measure against
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...or pants.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
You must. How can we do your annual review without a few to measure against
Just what I need and annual review of my ER effectiveness. Do I have to do a self assessment?
Old 06-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #27
gone traveling

Quote:
Just what I need and annual review of my ER effectiveness. Do I have to do a self assessment?
Nope. You will get enough input/comments from others on this forum:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg peer_review.jpg (95.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 06-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nope. You will get enough input/comments from others on this forum:
Great, I always did good on 360s
Old 06-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
LOL! Yes, absolutely, a self assessment, plus the anonymous assessment of your coworkers, all carefully shredded to leave no crumb trail for future litigation. I'm still employed, can you tell? They have this incredibly complex system here which they don't actually use appropriately.

Just kidding - go loaf!
Old 06-02-2010, 03:13 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yep, along with your quarterly numbers and your stretch goals... of course including your headcount spouse & kids as well as yourself.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:30 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yep.

I opted for free range retirement rather than the feed lot variety.
Me too, my only goal is to spend more time looking at the stars through my telescopes.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:13 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

OK, so I'm still goal oriented. That doesn't make me a bad person, does it? Anyway, my newest goal is to help the old animals at the shelter I volunteer at. Yup, lost my old kitty recently and need to redirect some of my type-a personality into something positive so I don't go into the negativity spiral.

I contacted a company who is one of the two big players in vet lab work and think I might be able to get some low cost/no cost work done on the shelter animals, particularly the older ones. This is a big business. I had no idea until I researched it. Talking billions. Not surprising considering the number of pets requiring tests for everything from routine check ups to pre op blood work.

This company is interested because it's good PR and they hope to increase market share in the area my shelter's located in. My theory: people might be more comfortable adopting an older animal if the lab tests show no major problems. If they have health problems, better to know it so we can treat it. It doesn't mean people won't still want them - lots of folks have a big place in their hearts for "special needs" animals. Any way it turns out, I think it's better to know more about the health of an older animal before placing them - both for the shelter and the family that takes them in.

Fingers and paws crossed....
Old 06-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #33
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
OK, so I'm still goal oriented. That doesn't make me a bad person, does it? Anyway, my newest goal is to help the old animals at the shelter I volunteer at.
No different than what I do - deliver meals a couple of times a week through the local Meals on Wheels organization to elderly, shut-in's, along with giving blood every eight weeks at a local hospital.

But then again, I'm not on a schedule to do this "volunteer" stuff. If I don't show (of course, letting them know in advance), it's not a problem. There are others to fill in.

I don't consider these few things I do as "goals"; it just something I do for the benefit of others at this time in my retirement, and certainly not part of any "bucket/goal list"...
Old 06-02-2010, 06:19 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No different than what I do - deliver meals a couple of times a week through the local Meals on Wheels organization to elderly, shut-in's, along with giving blood every eight weeks at a local hospital.
Love to hear more about your work with the elderly. I've thought about doing this too. Have you developed a relationship with any of the elderly shut ins you deliver meals to? It must pull on your heart strings to see them. I have a soft spot in my heart for older folks.

Good for you for donating blood. DH does this like clockwork. I haven't and feel I should...I'll put it on my to do list.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #35
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
In no particular order:

1. Enjoy life
2. Enjoy life
3. Enjoy life
Hey, two out of three ain't bad...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:46 PM   #36
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

While I also have to confess to the sin of being goal orientated. In my defence, when I drew up my retirement wish list it wasn't because I was setting goals. It was to convince myself that I would have enough things to do when I retire to prevent the onset of terminal boredom.

I currently have 50+ items on the list which is of concern - I could find myself busier in retirement than I am now.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
'I also have to confess to the sin of being goal orientated.
Thank you. I'm not alone
Old 06-02-2010, 07:25 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I confess that the only reason I have goals in retirement, is so that I can procrastinate. You can't procrastinate without having something you should be doing!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #39
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
While I also have to confess to the sin of being goal orientated. In my defence, when I drew up my retirement wish list it wasn't because I was setting goals. It was to convince myself that I would have enough things to do when I retire to prevent the onset of terminal boredom.

I currently have 50+ items on the list which is of concern - I could find myself busier in retirement than I am now.
My retirement was a "run screaming into the night sort of thing". Very little planning (beyond financial realizations) and no plans/goals at all other then getting out of there.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
While I also have to confess to the sin of being goal orientated. In my defence, when I drew up my retirement wish list it wasn't because I was setting goals. ...(snip)...
OK, I know you don't really mean that being goal oriented is a sin. But I do sense a certain apologetic tone among those who mention their goals in ER. For me, I'm not going to make excuses for my orientation. I am perfectly (well, sort of ) comfortable with establishing goals. It really is OK to be who you want to be as long as you don't take away freedom from others. At 62 I'm trying to be comfortable with these thoughts.

And if you don't want to have goals that is just fine too. I actually take days off occasionally and give myself permission to not achieve any particular thing. It's nice to just do what you want, goals or no goals.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote