Post ER goals?

I agree with REW, enjoy life! That is first and over-riding priority on all the rest. If the rest of my goals don't align with that first goal, then out the window with them, I say! Some other things though would be to lose some weight and get a bit healthier (trying to do that now, but its not working so well), hike in the mountains more, paddle a kayak more, landscape and tend the acreage, run or walk or hike or bike daily, cook more, have a successful veggie garden and family fruit orchard, do some RVing, spend a lot more time with DW, etc.

Now, those don't sound like SMART goals do they? If they did, they may not be congruant with the first goal. So, I just intend to take my time and enjoy them along the way. If they don't get done today, well, there is always tomorrow.

R

My gosh, there's a blast from my Corporate past - SMART goals (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely).

How about the first step is to hire some consultants to help set up a program for ER goal setting and a strategy to achieve them once set :cool:

My gosh, there's a blast from my Corporate past - SMART goals (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely).

How about the first step is to hire some consultants to help set up a program for ER goal setting and a strategy to achieve them once set :cool:

Yeah I remember SMART goals:yuk: Up there on the crapola scale with management deciding we needed to read "Who Moved My Cheese".

Yeah I remember SMART goals:yuk: Up there on the crapola scale with management deciding we needed to read "Who Moved My Cheese".

And we had to spend 2 hours every week in a group session discussing a chapter from Stephen Covey's book "7 habits of highly effective people" that we had to have researched as "homework" from the previous week.

And when we finally got through it all we had to go back to our departments, and do it all again, leading the discussions each week, and then write a "Mission statement" for the department.

Maybe the OP needs a "Mission Statement" for ER, discussed with and agreed to by the whole family and reviewed on a regular basis with them :whistle:

Oh, I don't miss those days - after a while all those leadership and management courses I was required to attend merged into one :LOL:

And we had to spend 2 hours every week in a group session discussing a chapter from Stephen Covey's book "7 habits of highly effective people" that we had to have researched as "homework" from the previous week.

And when we finally got through it all we had to go back to our departments, and do it all again, leading the discussions each week, and then write a "Mission statement" for the department.
If I can't sleep tonight, it's all your fault :mad: ...

You're probably going to give me nightmares with talk such as that, which brings up long past experiences :cool: ...

With regard to the above quote, please check the Community Rules and pay particular attention to the prohibition regarding "obscene or vulgar language". I would recommend you avoid the entire subject matter as it is difficult to discuss these unpleasant topics without using offensive language.

Thank you for your cooperation. :)

If I can't sleep tonight, it's all your fault :mad: ...

You're probably going to give me nightmares with talk such as that, which brings up long past experiences :cool: ...

Fortunately, memories of pain diminish over time - otherwise women would only ever have 1 child :LOL: (or so I am reliably informed by the mothers I know).

Take slow deep breaths, clear your mind, think of your most hated boss naked in a full body fish net stocking ..... does that help ease the mood?

I remember one time a real nasty boss came over to our table and ate lunch with us. At one point I held up a folk and looked at him through the tines for a few seconds. Afterwards I told the others I was imagining him behind bars. (I had to learn coping strategies to get through the day at times )

With regard to the above quote, please check the Community Rules and pay particular attention to the prohibition regarding "obscene or vulgar language". I would recommend you avoid the entire subject matter as it is difficult to discuss these unpleasant topics without using offensive language.

Thank you for your cooperation. :)

Apologies - I will self moderate

I forgot that the subject of w*rk is very offensive here. ;)

Maybe the OP needs a "Mission Statement" for ER, discussed with and agreed to by the whole family and reviewed on a regular basis with them :whistle:
A mission statement alone won't do, we need mission, vision, goals! Where do you see yourself 1 year, 5 years... from now.

A mission statement alone won't do, we need mission, vision, goals! Where do you see yourself 1 year, 5 years... from now.

Oh darn, I forgot about all that as well.

You'd think I would have been immune to all that BS, being a non-business type. But no - as part of a large health care institution, the org chart is just as complex, we had 2 retreats a year, read books about hedgehogs and moving cheese, did SWOT analyses, 360 evaluations -- the whole enchilada. Price of rising up the corporate ladder despite myself.

I nearly went crazy in those retreats which were neither tailored nor relevant to all but a handful of physicians. Somebody, please, let me go and see a dying cancer patient - it would be far more rewarding than this.

ESR changed all that over night. A very recent exchange, almost word for word:

DW: "do you have your usual Wednesday night 5 to 6:30 meeting tomorrow?"

Me: "Why would I want to do that?"

A mission statement alone won't do, we need mission, vision, goals!

I knew we were &*() when the 'mission statement' was outsourced.

Where do you see yourself 1 year, 5 years... from now.

They didn't want me to say retired or dead.

I used to say I was going to paint eyes on glasses so I could sleep during those endless meetings .

I used to say I was going to paint eyes on glasses so I could sleep during those endless meetings .

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

On at least two different occasions a guy DID fall asleep at one of those excruciating meetings (two different guys and two different meetings). And it was really obvious - like head-slumped-over, pencil-dropping-out-of-hand sleep. It made it interesting for the rest of us! :D

I was lucky...I didn't have to do that.

Most of my meetings were conference calls. The mute button......God bless :angel::angel::angel:

You guys are bringing back memories of the Air Force's fascination with Total Quality Management back in the late 80s and early 90s. What a huge waste of time that was. I'll admit to napping in those meetings a couple of times.

Hedgehogs:confused:?
Jim Collins' good-to-great book.

Here's a citation to serve as a reminder why you ER'd:

The pivot point in Good to Great is the Hedgehog Concept. The essence of a Hedgehog Concept is to attain piercing clarity about how to produce the best long-term results, and then exercising the relentless discipline to say, "No thank you" to opportunities that fail the hedgehog test. When we examined the Hedgehog Concepts of the good-to-great companies, we found they reflected deep understanding of three intersecting circles:...

Blah, blah, blah.​

You guys are bringing back memories of the Air Force's fascination with Total Quality Management back in the late 80s and early 90s. What a huge waste of time that was. I'll admit to napping in those meetings a couple of times.

TQM ?
Are you old enough to recall Zero Defects?

TQM ?
Are you old enough to recall Zero Defects?
No, I don't remember that getting into any talks; it maybe more of a manufacturing thing. Although, I'm sure if anyone had thought they could get a bullet on the Officer Effectiveness Report they would have tried to implement ZD.

Back
Top Bottom