Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-02-2010, 09:18 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
Another thread got me thinking this morning about setting goals once you GET to retirement. I was a goal setter and planned obsessively to be able to RE, but I don't have any goals set up now that I'm in ER, other than the standard "get the kids through college, be a good husband and dad, don't screw up the nest egg" type of goals, so I think I may need something more personal to make ER more satisfying and less, um, meandering.

Has anyone done this type of thing, and can you give me some examples of your goals, and how doing this helped (or hurt) you ER satisfaction levels?
Cardude!

Getting out of your business when you did was brilliant!!!!! And you are obviously financially independent and well set for life. And I don't know what you are going to do with the rest of your life*, but you just don't sound like a man who is ready to be retired (in the sense of just going with the flow).

I guess you really need a big project or two. Might involve collaborating with other people. Just try not to spend too much $$$$.

Audrey

*Well - I do know one super important thing on your plate - you still have kids to raise.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2010, 09:25 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Cardude, have you considered starting a business selling those big-@ss electrical connectors everyone is going to need to recharge their battery powered cars?
Old 06-02-2010, 09:41 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I agree with REW, enjoy life! That is first and over-riding priority on all the rest. If the rest of my goals don't align with that first goal, then out the window with them, I say! Some other things though would be to lose some weight and get a bit healthier (trying to do that now, but its not working so well), hike in the mountains more, paddle a kayak more, landscape and tend the acreage, run or walk or hike or bike daily, cook more, have a successful veggie garden and family fruit orchard, do some RVing, spend a lot more time with DW, etc.

Now, those don't sound like SMART goals do they? If they did, they may not be congruant with the first goal. So, I just intend to take my time and enjoy them along the way. If they don't get done today, well, there is always tomorrow.

R
Old 06-02-2010, 10:10 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

My retirement goals.....

Eat/drink whatever I want

Have a lot of sex

Take naps when I'm sleepy

The day I breathe my last breath, I want to be full, quenched, satisfied and depart this life in my sleep.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:29 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Getting out of your business when you did was brilliant!!!!! And you are obviously financially independent and well set for life. And I don't know what you are going to do with the rest of your life*, but you just don't sound like a man who is ready to be retired (in the sense of just going with the flow).

I guess you really need a big project or two. Might involve collaborating with other people. Just try not to spend too much $$$$
Well, getting out of my business is obviously still bothering me a little bit since I keep writing/thinking about it. I still tell myself it was the right thing to do however, as I see many dealers continue to struggle.

I tend to bump along just fine for awhile, happy doing my busy work and kid stuff, but then all of the sudden I'll start wondering what the meaning of my life is and I start freaking out a little.

I think you're right. I think I need some more grownup human interaction, and some projects that don't cost money but keep my mind occupied. When I get bored I start spending money on crap. Hell, I was looking around for a dang travel trailer yesterday and I don't even like to RV.

As usual, thanks for all the great replies everyone!
cardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:40 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
... awhile, happy doing my busy work and kid stuff...

I think you're right. I think I need some more grownup human interaction, and some projects that don't cost money but keep my mind occupied.
"busy work" — that's probably part of the problem. You obviously need things that are more engaging than just keeping busy.

AND I think you will have to spend money to get involved with a meaningful project or two, especially if it involves other adults. The key is just not to spend too much, or make sure the project pays back some of any investment.

Audrey
Old 06-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
My retirement goals.....
Eat/drink whatever I want
Have a lot of sex
Take naps when I'm sleepy
The day I breathe my last breath, I want to be full, quenched, satisfied and depart this life in my sleep.
"One night in Bangkok"...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
"One night in Bangkok"...
Oh...c'mon, can't I have at least two?
Old 06-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Oh...c'mon, can't I have at least two?
Two of what?

At 32 baht to the dollar, you can probably have as many as you feel capable of handling...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:52 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Spoken like a man with experience....

Nah...I'll pass. I've never cared for Thai cuisine.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:27 PM   #51
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
I agree with REW, enjoy life! That is first and over-riding priority on all the rest. If the rest of my goals don't align with that first goal, then out the window with them, I say! Some other things though would be to lose some weight and get a bit healthier (trying to do that now, but its not working so well), hike in the mountains more, paddle a kayak more, landscape and tend the acreage, run or walk or hike or bike daily, cook more, have a successful veggie garden and family fruit orchard, do some RVing, spend a lot more time with DW, etc.

Now, those don't sound like SMART goals do they? If they did, they may not be congruant with the first goal. So, I just intend to take my time and enjoy them along the way. If they don't get done today, well, there is always tomorrow.

R
My gosh, there's a blast from my Corporate past - SMART goals (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely).

How about the first step is to hire some consultants to help set up a program for ER goal setting and a strategy to achieve them once set
Old 06-03-2010, 03:15 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
My gosh, there's a blast from my Corporate past - SMART goals (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely).

How about the first step is to hire some consultants to help set up a program for ER goal setting and a strategy to achieve them once set
Yeah I remember SMART goals Up there on the crapola scale with management deciding we needed to read "Who Moved My Cheese".
Old 06-03-2010, 03:32 PM   #53
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Yeah I remember SMART goals Up there on the crapola scale with management deciding we needed to read "Who Moved My Cheese".
And we had to spend 2 hours every week in a group session discussing a chapter from Stephen Covey's book "7 habits of highly effective people" that we had to have researched as "homework" from the previous week.

And when we finally got through it all we had to go back to our departments, and do it all again, leading the discussions each week, and then write a "Mission statement" for the department.

Maybe the OP needs a "Mission Statement" for ER, discussed with and agreed to by the whole family and reviewed on a regular basis with them

Oh, I don't miss those days - after a while all those leadership and management courses I was required to attend merged into one
Old 06-03-2010, 03:38 PM   #54
gone traveling

Quote:
And we had to spend 2 hours every week in a group session discussing a chapter from Stephen Covey's book "7 habits of highly effective people" that we had to have researched as "homework" from the previous week.

And when we finally got through it all we had to go back to our departments, and do it all again, leading the discussions each week, and then write a "Mission statement" for the department.
If I can't sleep tonight, it's all your fault ...

You're probably going to give me nightmares with talk such as that, which brings up long past experiences ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:46 PM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:

With regard to the above quote, please check the Community Rules and pay particular attention to the prohibition regarding "obscene or vulgar language". I would recommend you avoid the entire subject matter as it is difficult to discuss these unpleasant topics without using offensive language.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #56
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
If I can't sleep tonight, it's all your fault ...

You're probably going to give me nightmares with talk such as that, which brings up long past experiences ...
Fortunately, memories of pain diminish over time - otherwise women would only ever have 1 child (or so I am reliably informed by the mothers I know).

Take slow deep breaths, clear your mind, think of your most hated boss naked in a full body fish net stocking ..... does that help ease the mood?

I remember one time a real nasty boss came over to our table and ate lunch with us. At one point I held up a folk and looked at him through the tines for a few seconds. Afterwards I told the others I was imagining him behind bars. (I had to learn coping strategies to get through the day at times )
Old 06-03-2010, 04:03 PM   #57
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
With regard to the above quote, please check the Community Rules and pay particular attention to the prohibition regarding "obscene or vulgar language". I would recommend you avoid the entire subject matter as it is difficult to discuss these unpleasant topics without using offensive language.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Apologies - I will self moderate

I forgot that the subject of w*rk is very offensive here.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Maybe the OP needs a "Mission Statement" for ER, discussed with and agreed to by the whole family and reviewed on a regular basis with them
A mission statement alone won't do, we need mission, vision, goals! Where do you see yourself 1 year, 5 years... from now.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:09 PM   #59
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
A mission statement alone won't do, we need mission, vision, goals! Where do you see yourself 1 year, 5 years... from now.
Oh darn, I forgot about all that as well.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:14 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

You'd think I would have been immune to all that BS, being a non-business type. But no - as part of a large health care institution, the org chart is just as complex, we had 2 retreats a year, read books about hedgehogs and moving cheese, did SWOT analyses, 360 evaluations -- the whole enchilada. Price of rising up the corporate ladder despite myself.

I nearly went crazy in those retreats which were neither tailored nor relevant to all but a handful of physicians. Somebody, please, let me go and see a dying cancer patient - it would be far more rewarding than this.

ESR changed all that over night. A very recent exchange, almost word for word:

DW: "do you have your usual Wednesday night 5 to 6:30 meeting tomorrow?"

Me: "Why would I want to do that?"

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote