Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-27-2014, 12:34 PM   #21

Now the DH is retired we're hitting our deferred project list pretty hard. But saving on labor since he does most of the work.

We've had about $200 in materials for the raised garden beds he put in.
Just ordered the next set of windows - about $2000 total.

On the plan near term:
- Master bath remodel (budgeted about $3500 for materials.)
- New driveway out of pavers. (will hire out the concrete removal, will rent a compactor, labor will be hubby and sons.) I think it will cost about $5k.

When those projects are done:
- metal roof
- solar panels

We did an on demand water heater a few years ago. Love the efficiency.
We replaced our nat.gas furnace a few years ago. Much more efficient than the 1960's model it replaced.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2014, 12:59 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I retired in January and have spent way too much, most unplanned. But of course we decided to do it with the hope we won't need any major repairs for the next 10 years?

Son's car (college student on VA benefits) has cost me about 2500 dollars. It's on 07 Chrysler but only has 62000 miles on it. We gave it to him to use. New shocks, struts, 60,000 mile service and then some misfire fault code showed up which cost to replace sensors. Tires were replaced a year ago, so now it runs like new, or at least that's what my mechanic told me.

Updated our ten year old inground pool with a new control panel and salt chlorinator and a fancy wireless PDA controller. $4300. Pool deck resurfaced Kool Decking, $1500. Replaced some windows, $1,200. New carpet in bedrooms, $1700. Misc. repairs (painting, trim, etc) another few hundred.

The Air Conditioning System was replaced in April 2013. I figure Hot Water tank, but that'll only be $500 bucks or so.

Ouch, easy $15-20 grand spent so far. Now I'll rebuild my emergency fund back to 4-6 months cash. I'll live on a budget, after two more trips that is, South Padre in June and Vegas in August.

Next project, 3-5 years a new roof, $6-8000 dollars per the roofer I talked to depending on three tab shingle or fancy shingles. I need some hail damage so my insurance will cover most of the cost.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:51 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
New septic system
I don't want to even contemplate this.
In my area, due to the local codes, replacing my septic system would cost at least $20K.

I take very good care of my 35-year old system.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:19 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I hit the $10K annual deductible for health insurance two years in a row, so that's $20K.

That's just a small portion of the total bill of 6 figures, so am not complaining.

I would rather have the choice of complaining about the cost of a new roof or septic system.

PS. I should not incur that kind of expenses next year. I already have enough surgery scars on my body.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:44 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Reviewed my outlays for last 20 years and currently budgeting $5K year for one time big ticket items as that's what everything has come out to. I almost never go over budget, and if I do, I make up for it elsewhere. As I've said before, I've most likely oversaved based on the calculators and 38x expenses (when totalling everything and including SS @70) but that's a good thing as it's bought/buys peace of mind.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:08 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I hit the $10K annual deductible for health insurance two years in a row, so that's $20K.

That's just a small portion of the total bill of 6 figures, so am not complaining.

I would rather have the choice of complaining about the cost of a new roof or septic system.

PS. I should not incur that kind of expenses next year. I already have enough surgery scars on my body.
There's always room for more scars! (and tattoos).

It makes sense to put off new hip/knee replacements until Medicare. I saved about $50,000 that way (new total hip implant - Anterior procedure).
Old 05-30-2014, 11:35 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In 10 years I have replaced the 3 hvac units for 14k, painted the house outside for 2k, a couple of new garage door openers (it appears that lighting will get them), a new water heater for $700, a new fridge for 1170, a new washer dryer for 800 and a new riding lawn mower for 2k.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:59 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaufmanrider View Post

Next project, 3-5 years a new roof, $6-8000 dollars per the roofer I talked to depending on three tab shingle or fancy shingles. I need some hail damage so my insurance will cover most of the cost.
Not retired yet. But in Southern California, my quotes are > $11,000 for shingles. I have 2 layers on already, so, the next one will be complete tear off. So, I am preparing at least $15,000 for the roof.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:21 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
We did an on demand water heater a few years ago. Love the efficiency.

We replaced our nat.gas furnace a few years ago. Much more efficient than the 1960's model it replaced.
I'd be curious to see your payback calculations on an on-demand (tankless) water heater. I've never been able to get it to pencil out with the increased cost, not even accounting for increased maintenance and likely increased installation costs ( they need a much larger supply line than the conventional types which heat over a longer period).

The main cost is heating the water from ~ 60F to ~ 130F in the first place, which is done in both cases. Maintaining that temperature in an insulated tank overnight is a fairly minor energy sink.

Now an NG furnace form the 60's (surprised it is still working!) is likely only 50% efficient, maybe less over time? Depending on how much heating you do, this can definitely have a short payback.

-ERD50
Old 05-31-2014, 10:30 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by fh2000 View Post
Not retired yet. But in Southern California, my quotes are > $11,000 for shingles. I have 2 layers on already, so, the next one will be complete tear off. So, I am preparing at least $15,000 for the roof.
California prices. I moved to Texas in 2003, home improvement projects tend to be cheaper (as is housing) in Texas.

My concrete guying coming Monday for my pool deck told me he used to do concrete in Union City (SF Bay Area) for 20 years. Just got to expensive and all the regulations cut his profit margin so much he came Texas to run a business.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:34 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
It makes sense to put off new hip/knee replacements until Medicare...
The surgeries I had were not the type that could be put off. I would be .

About tankless water heaters, it would not save me any money when my children lived at home. They only got out of the shower when the water ran cold!

And now, I have demand rate where a KWh costs 7.17 cents off-peak, but 21.22c on-peak. I need to "bank" that cheap hot water to coast over the on-peak period.

PS. In the summer, on-peak hours are from 1 to 8 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:40 AM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fh2000 View Post
For comparison to TX prices, my three bids to tear off and replace my 5,400 SF surface area roof were all in the $15K range.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:55 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
For comparison to TX prices, my three bids to tear off and replace my 5,400 SF surface area roof were all in the $15K range.
Looks pretty reasonable to me.

The largest single expense items we planned for are weddings for our children. One has been paid, the other two are committed and the funds set aside.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:10 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Ah, weddings. That's an anticipated expense coming up next year.

Left to themselves, they would elope to Las Vegas to save money, and I do not blame them. But to have a more conventional wedding as I am old-fashioned, it will cost a bit more money, even for one that's not so elaborate. So, I will gladly help.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:11 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
It's all relative, eh?

Old 05-31-2014, 11:24 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

About tankless water heaters, it would not save me any money when my children lived at home. They only got out of the shower when the water ran cold!

And now, I have demand rate where a KWh costs 7.17 cents off-peak, but 21.22c on-peak. I need to "bank" that cheap hot water to coast over the on-peak period.

PS. In the summer, on-peak hours are from 1 to 8 PM.
I never thought about the peak vs non-peak rates. That would certainly put a tankless unit in the red! But I bet some people have installed them under those conditions, figuring they were being 'green' and were going to save money because they weren't 'heating 40 gallons of water all night!'.

Of course the main reason I never thought about it is that we have NG and there are no peak rates.

But I also find it amusing, in a sad way, that these things are advertised both for energy savings, and for 'endless shower' and 'hot tub filling' capability.

-ERD50
Old 05-31-2014, 11:36 AM   #37
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The quote for the roof does, maybe. But 5400 square feet, for two people in their 60's? Even including an attached garage under that roof, I just can't even imagine.

If that house was mine, I'd sell it and downsize ASAP (but then, "different strokes for different folks").

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:00 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

But I also find it amusing, in a sad way, that these things are advertised both for energy savings, and for 'endless shower' and 'hot tub filling' capability.

-ERD50
I installed a timer for the water heater to cut it off during the on-peak period.

We quickly learn to limit our hot water usage when seeing that the hot water is becoming lukewarm. Needless to say, if one forgets and takes a shower during the on-peak period, it is sure going to be a short one. Heh heh heh... Net result: savings on water in addition to electricity. Heh heh heh...
Old 05-31-2014, 12:01 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
The quote for the roof does, maybe. But 5400 square feet, for two people in their 60's? Even including an attached garage under that roof, I just can't even imagine.

If that house was mine, I'd sell it and downsize ASAP (but then, "different strokes for different folks").
Note the key words: "surface area." I'm not engineer and numbers isn't easy for me, but even I know the roof SF is far larger than the living area SF.

The roof has three dormers, is steeply pitched, and includes large porches in the front and back plus a large screened-in porch leading from the house to the oversize two-car garage. Excluding those areas the SF of our living space is ~2,300 - and that will seem small next Monday when we host our five grandchildren for a week of "Grandma Camp."

Old 05-31-2014, 12:14 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Termites!!! Caused a major bathroom renovation, $25k plus the cost of treatment and ongoing monitoring....