Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-31-2014, 12:19 PM   #41
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Note the key words: "surface area." I'm not engineer and numbers isn't easy for me, but even I know the roof SF is far larger than the living area SF.

The roof has three dormers, is steeply pitched, and includes large porches in the front and back plus a large screened-in porch leading from the house to the oversize two-car garage. Excluding those areas the SF of our living space is ~2,300 - and that will seem small next Monday when we host our five grandchildren for a week of "Grandma Camp."
What fun! I'll bet those grandkids are going to have a ball running around in all that space. Hope they don't wear grampa and grandma out. Chasing after them sounds like a great way to stay young.

My roof was replaced two years before I bought this house, so I haven't had to replace it yet. In fact, I haven't replaced a roof since 1989 back in College Station. At that time I just let my (ex) DH take care of it and paid no attention, because I was overwhelmed with other obligations. I did not realize, or had forgotten, that the roof square footage could be that much more than the home's square footage. Never had a dormer or steeply pitched roof or substantial porch under the roof.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2014, 12:46 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

This info is somewhat outdated. My roof was replaced in 2008 because of hail damage. Cost $10,850. Insurance covered everything except deductible.

1. Replace 67 squares of roofing. That would be 6700 sq. ft. The roofing was three tab architectural shingles with 30 year warranty. My roof pitch is very steep. I won't get on the roof. I have about 3,000 sq. ft heated and cooled.

2. Remove old roofing and haul away. In this area no reputable roofer will install a new roof over an old roof.

3. Furnish and install three new turbine roof vents. I don't like ridge vents. I don't have any real reason. I just don't the look. Personal prejudice.

4. Replace flashing around roof penetrations.

The roof was previously replaced because of tornado damage in 1992.

Matthew 6:34 (KJV)
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:13 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
What fun! I'll bet those grandkids are going to have a ball running around in all that space.
Heh. With the five of them arriving here last evening, plus our two daughters, the two of us and three Labrador Retrievers that occasionally squeezed inside through a closing door (Bumpasses!!), this place seemed very, very small...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:30 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Note the key words: "surface area." I'm not engineer and numbers isn't easy for me, but even I know the roof SF is far larger than the living area SF.

The roof has three dormers, is steeply pitched, and includes large porches in the front and back plus a large screened-in porch leading from the house to the oversize two-car garage. Excluding those areas the SF of our living space is ~2,300 - and that will seem small next Monday when we host our five grandchildren for a week of "Grandma Camp."
The last roof I had replaced (2008) in Louisiana on a 1900 sf house with attached 2 car garage (not included in the 1900 sf but still part of the re-roof) cost $4500. There was no need to tear off the old roof, since it was the original that was close to 13 yrs old. Hail & other storm damage was the reason for the re-roof. I had to fight with Allstate for a year before they finally caved at the last minute (literally, the adjuster was leaving my house in his car).

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:14 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derslickmeister View Post
Termites!!! Caused a major bathroom renovation, $25k plus the cost of treatment and ongoing monitoring....
EEK - I didn't budget for that !!!

I have budgeted for normal recurring expenses (most of which were listed by the OP). I also budget for a new used car every 15 years. I also have a reserve account of $25k for "major system repairs" .... which would cover major plumbing or electrical work.

I did have to replace all the AC ductwork in the attic (rats ... ick). that was $2500 and totally unexpected. That reduced my major plumbing / electrical reserve from 27.5 to 25.0.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:02 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I budget for major expenses by taking a cost and useful life for each -