Join Early Retirement Today

Post FIRE - nice feeling
Old 09-11-2015, 06:05 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Post FIRE - nice feeling

DW and I are away for a few days and staying at resort/hotel on the eastern shore of Maryland.

Yesterday on our way out we passed by one of the meeting rooms, and there were about 25 people sitting in there staring at some Powerpoint slide and they all looked like they were about to fall asleep as the speaker droned on.

Later that evening they were having a group dinner and you could hear them using all those wonderful MegaCorp buzzwords like strategy and 'relationship selling'. I said to DW, I wonder how long before someone says "mission statement"

Well about 15 minutes later someone mentions the new mission statement. DW almost spit her drink out.

Oh how I do NOT miss those days!!!
jwkde is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2015, 06:20 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Great job!

I am looking forward to that feeling myself. It's coming fast when I look back, just not as fast when I look forward.

When I go to some of those types of meetings, I have no doubt that smaller business can compete with the larger ones.

A standard joke, "How many people work at your company?" A. "About half".
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:38 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Similar thing happened to me about a month ago. While in Spokane at the hotel, there was some type of Hippa conference going on. During breakfast, it was interesting to hear the attendees talk of their day ahead. After breakfast, I went to the guest laundry room to wash some clothes. Well, the laundry room was right across the hall from the open door conference room, and I thought to myself, I'd rather be not working and in here washing clothes any day instead of in there listening to blah blah blah...
johnnyfuego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:40 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkde View Post
DW and I are away for a few days and staying at resort/hotel on the eastern shore of Maryland.

Yesterday on our way out we passed by one of the meeting rooms, and there were about 25 people sitting in there staring at some Powerpoint slide and they all looked like they were about to fall asleep as the speaker droned on.

Later that evening they were having a group dinner and you could hear them using all those wonderful MegaCorp buzzwords like strategy and 'relationship selling'. I said to DW, I wonder how long before someone says "mission statement"

Well about 15 minutes later someone mentions the new mission statement. DW almost spit her drink out.

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:11 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I now take pleasure when I hear those keywords. Yes, it's not nice..I get it, but I'm just thrilled that I never have to listen to them and 'take them to heart'.

If you want a good kick, go find Weird Al Yankovich singing 'Mission Statement'...but only if you're retired.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:27 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Welcome to the area. Look westward across the bay just north of the Rt. 90 bridge. That's me waving at you from my backyard.

Quote:

You should print off a bunch of these and leave them in the meeting room.
Attached Images
File Type: png buzzword bingo.png (86.7 KB, 40 views)
Old 09-12-2015, 04:23 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

The only person I can think of that probably really appreciated all the mega corp buzz words/phrases was Scott Adams. It gave him a lot of material for his Dilbert comic strip. So many of his cartoons were so timely and spot on, I often wondered if he worked at my mega corp. (He didn't)
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:51 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Yesterday was just like this for me. The train got into Denver about 7:30am. I had to take light rail out and meet a friend that was giving me a ride home. Yes, I was tired from my trip and lugging the suitcase but looking at all of the worker-bees heading to their worker-bee cubes just looked so pathetic. I wonder what kind of worker-bee buzz words they had to go listen to for the day!
pjm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:58 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I get the shivers just reading about it. Oh what I used to do for money!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:41 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I laugh when I pass by meeting rooms full of people staring at PPT presentations when I'm in hotels now. I'm also reading about the local United Way campaign kickoff and I'm SO happy I don't have to feign enthusiasm anymore. (DH and I donate generously to charities, some of whom are also United Way charities, but prefer to avoid United Way.

Monday I'm going to a luncheon of our local CPCU (Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriter) Society chapter. It's at a former employer where I still have contacts, the speaker subject interest me and it's only $20. I want to see how it feels to be among the Corporates for a couple of hours. I'm entitled to go to actuarial meetings with no registration fee and they're 2.5-day meetings in some darn nice places, but I'm not sure if I want to get that engrossed in a part of my life that's mostly behind me. I'm trying lunch first!
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
I now take pleasure when I hear those keywords. Yes, it's not nice..I get it, but I'm just thrilled that I never have to listen to them and 'take them to heart'.

If you want a good kick, go find Weird Al Yankovich singing 'Mission Statement'...but only if you're retired.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.

I've seen Weird Al's video and it's hilarious. I took a lot of leadership training in the 90s, and the buzzwords were fewer then. Now leadership stuff is a useless industry in itself. Complete waste of time and resources.

At the end of 2013 our megamedical Corp inserted a new medical director who had just finished his MBA and was filled with the jargon. (He's a nice guy and has since seen the light, and has since reverted to speaking English instead of corporate mumbo jumbo.

Anyway, his first project was creating self scheduling. So we had this gigantic meeting and he had built two whiteboard calendars with Velcro pieces and color coded physician time slots. It took 10 people two 3 hour meetings to do one month of scheduling. That's 60 hours of our total time to do the schedule.

After the second meeting I suggested we could do the same thing with Google calendar and texting each other when it was our turn to pick workdays.

That worked very well, and took about 10 minutes per person on any computer or smart phone to create our schedule. Too bad I didn't have my MBA. I could have done his job and tripled my salary.

In the six months after I quit full time work there, half the group quit. All this corporate organizational stuff does more harm than good.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 01:04 PM   #12

Funny comic on corporate buzz words.
Adventures of Action Item... Professional Superhero
The Adventures of ACTION ITEM!
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 02:43 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Hmmm. Now that Shuttle is done those 'other guys' are back at the old rocket plant welding a vertical stack just like Saturn.

Were I 40 - 45 years younger would love to Space X but:

heh heh heh - Unfortunately it's in California and after you've been to Kansas City it just doesn't cut it.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
Funny comic on corporate buzz words.
Adventures of Action Item... Professional Superhero
The Adventures of ACTION ITEM!
Thanks for sharing - that's hysterical! Half the buzzwords in it are lifted directly from the annual performance review silliness a few weeks ago. {groan}

I'm going to print it out and keep it in my drawer at w#rk, for those days when I need a good laugh. AKA: every day.
Calico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:55 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Monday I'm going to a luncheon of our local CPCU (Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriter) Society chapter.
Sorry for the off-topic post, just wanted to jump in & say hi from another CPCU. I have been wondering if any of my fellow insurance people were among the ranks of the er forums.
HtownRose is offline   Reply With Quote