Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-23-2015, 09:46 PM   #21
gone traveling

Update - I asked insurance agent (independent) to shop around for auto:homeowners:umbrella policies and she just called me back with a quote that will save me more than 200 dollars per month all in.

I need to make double sure coverages are similar but she quoted in writing and so far it looks really competitive.

The auto insurance especially (with a couple teen drivers) is markedly less.

Stay tuned ....
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2015, 09:04 PM   #22
gone traveling

So we have shopped the auto and homeowners as well as umbrella policy and the total new quote comes in with a significant savings across every insurance type for like to like coverage.

In total we will save nearly $1.5k per year which drops the bill from 5.5k to approx 4 k per year.

It pays to shop insurance with an independent agent every few years. After I did this , I coincidentally saw Dave Ramsey suggesting the same as a #1 money saving tip. http://www.daveramsey.com/blog/indep...ney-saving-tip

Wow it sure saves me some dough !!

The biggest swing factors were for some 2 wheeled toys that I own. Much better rates. The teen driver was a little more expensive but what I save overall on auto, umbrella and homeowners makes it worthwhile to switch ...

The service level of my prior insurance really dropped the past couple years and this savings pushed me over the top. For years the people insurance could NOT be beat .... but not any more ...

Pegboard and shelving went up in the garage today too. A decent father-sons project.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:15 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
For TV - have not decided what specific model but am going to find a cheap 1080p in 48-50 inch class. Hoping to get for under 500 dollars as a back to school or thanksgiving cycle promo. Will check Amazon too.
Not sure if you've already purchased a TV but personally i would try to find a used 1080P Plasma from Panasonic. In my experience, plasma has far better picture quality than LED if you can control the ambient lighting (not as bright as LED).

Plasma is not being made anymore (so sad) but I think you can find one used for well under $500.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:29 PM   #24
gone traveling

Decided we don't watch enough TV to really justify getting a big new one for the family room. The 32 inch LCD will work fine for now and will wait for the super bowl sale cycle to see about a bigger one.

I'll be starting some classes next month and will keep me entertained through those. So... a pause on the TV..

We're hopefully dialing in on a post fire "essentials" budget and to that will add some of the fun categories too. Still not sure what the budget will work out to be -- need a few months for life (and expenses) to stabilize in new location and can then determine the exact WR for essential (Spartan) and then for essential plus (Athens) budget.