Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 08:53 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I remember a guy from Megacorp who was at a pharmacy after work. There was a robbery and the guy shot him in the head with a 25 ACP. He ran down Broadway in KCMO into a local bar. Passed out in the doorway, wasn't the first time he passed out there, first time cause he was shot. Luckily a 25 isn't much for penetration and he was a typical thick headed programmer type.

Stuff can happen anywhere.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2018, 09:03 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I worked in downtown Houston for over 30 years. I personally never heard a gun shot myself while downtown (daytime) but when walking to lunch, I've seen plenty of spent shell casings on the ground. Seems 9mm's and 45ACP's were the guns of choice.
I worked downtown Houston for years too. It's a different place during sunlight hours for sure. But, downtown is actually pretty deserted at night. The high crime areas are on the fringes. Now the outer suburbs are getting invaded (drug trade and theft).
Old 09-04-2018, 09:12 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, Haha, I didn't expect the thread title to refer to gunshot sounds. Sorry that this happened so close to your home.

We have a lot of crime here in New Orleans, although nothing like that has happened nearby. I think that crime is the only thing that could get us to move away, and we are hoping that we can stay here.

Hopefully this incident is not indicative of an increase in crime in your neighborhood. Time will tell.

Meanwhile one thing to consider is the (maybe small) possibility of becoming a victim of "The Knockout Game" on your walks. I often caution F to be alert and observant on his walks since this has happened to some older men that we know and at least one eventually died as a result. Even if a senior is armed, just someone's age can cause others to regard him as a potential victim; and regardless of the outcome, I imagine an attempted attack like that could spoil a pleasant walk.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 09-04-2018, 09:41 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I live in a safe area in Nassau County (LI), especially with the local police station maybe 50 yards away from my building.

But several years ago, a crazy man entered the church across the street from my building and shot a priest and some parishioners. He then ran out of the church through the side door and up the street to the house he rented a room from.

The side door happens to face my apartment. But on that day, even though I worked mainly from home that year, I had to report to my New Jersey office for my weekly visit. I did walk by the church's front entrance about 30 minutes before the shootings took place, as I was on my way to the train station.

When I got to my office a little more than an hour later, a coworker told me to check my local news because she believed something happened in my community. I went to their website and saw, to my huge surprise, an aerial view of the church and my apartment building! I read the breaking story about what had happened and wondered if I would be able to get back into my building that night because my street was blocked off as a crime scene.

I was able to get passed a local cop and go under the yellow crime scene tape upon showing sufficient ID that I lived on the blocked-off street. I learned from some neighbors more details about what had happened as it happened.

It might be the only time I was glad to have been at work in New Jersey instead of at home.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
Old 09-05-2018, 01:21 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
So yes, wealth keeps out the worst of it but it can happen anywhere. And for a while there I was reconsidering my career choices.
Kinda what I assume. There are places that are much safer than others, but it can happen anywhere. And I can understand why the OP was alarmed. I live in a very safe area, but there have been a few murders over the past 25 years, though fortunately I’ve never seen anything at all - just read about it afterwards. In every case new me, it was people who knew each other, even family members.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 09-05-2018, 02:44 AM   #26
Administrator

Scary stuff HaHa, I hope this turns out to be a one-off.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:35 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

HaHa’s experience would freak me out also. We have a lot of gun shots in my neighborhood - lots of gun enthusiasts target practice. So I hear a lot of shots, but I haven’t had to hit the ground for safety reasons on my own property.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:59 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

HaHa, hopefully it was just a quirk and this won't be a trend. I've been fortunate to never hear such shots where I live.

---

Oh, and can we stop complaining about Chicago? Stuff happens everywhere.

For Chicago: if you look at the map, the Chicago problem is concentrated on specific areas one needs to avoid. That does not include downtown or Wrigleyville, two common tourist spots.

Despite how wonderful the Chicago Conservatory is supposed to be, that area was strictly off-limits to me and my friends. Apparently it has been that way a long time, since that was 40 years ago. I never even came close and hence have never seen the Conservatory. Our family avoided it. The map proves that this is a dangerous gang area. Reading current reviews, you can apparently take the El to a stop close by. If you do, don't stray anywhere else.

Chicago shooting victims - Chicago Tribune
Old 09-05-2018, 07:08 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Despite how wonderful the Chicago Conservatory is supposed to be, that area was strictly off-limits to me and my friends. Apparently it has been that way a long time, since that was 40 years ago. I never even came close and hence have never seen the Conservatory. Our family avoided it. The map proves that this is a dangerous gang area. Reading current reviews, you can apparently take the El to a stop close by. If you do, don't stray anywhere else.

The Garfield Park Conservatory is a beautiful, peaceful place. I doubt anything much has changed since the last time I was there - convenient parking, low visitor volume. Those high homicide rates are not random shootings of passers-by. They are largely gang members fighting the equivalent of trench warfare. I guess you have to be wary of getting hit in a cross fire driving through the neighborhood but what, really, are the odds of that?
Old 09-05-2018, 07:16 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
HaHa, hopefully it was just a quirk and this won't be a trend. I've been fortunate to never hear such shots where I live.

---

For Chicago: if you look at the map, the Chicago problem is concentrated on specific areas one needs to avoid. That does not include downtown or Wrigleyville, two common tourist spots.

I believe this too about Chicago but then three days ago things like this happen: https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews...%3fid=57590455 A young man moves here to study for a PhD and four hours later is killed in crossfire in not a bad area. There are a lot of guns being used here. I can’t blame anyone who decides to cross Chicago off his list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
The Garfield Park Conservatory is a beautiful, peaceful place. I doubt anything much has changed since the last time I was there - convenient parking, low visitor volume. Those high homicide rates are not random shootings of passers-by. They are largely gang members fighting the equivalent of trench warfare. I guess you have to be wary of getting hit in a cross fire driving through the neighborhood but what, really, are the odds of that?
But the innocent bystander does get killed, and not in the scary neighborhood.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:17 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Now I may have to go!

I worry less about driving than some tourist walking off looking for a coffee shop or something. The reviews say you are fine if you go from the El stop to the Conservatory directly (very short). Don't stray, and you should be OK. Try not to look like a tourist either. Crime of opportunity (robbery) is always possible. This is true in all world cities.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:33 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Now I may have to go!

I worry less about driving than some tourist walking off looking for a coffee shop or something. The reviews say you are fine if you go from the El stop to the Conservatory directly (very short). Don't stray, and you should be OK. Try not to look like a tourist either. Crime of opportunity (robbery) is always possible. This is true in all world cities.
Try it, you'll like it. Here is a picture there from about 40 years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BillyTobyGarfield.jpg (806.3 KB, 36 views)
Old 09-05-2018, 10:03 AM   #33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post

But the innocent bystander does get killed, and not in the scary neighborhood.
In 2008 I went back to Baton Rouge to work for the last 2 years before I retired. The 16 year old son of a long time friend and colleague was at a “bonfire on the levy” evening with his 14 year old girl cousin and while they were looking out towards the Mississippi at the big fireworks display, behind them a fight between 2 youths broke out and they drew guns and started shooting. Missed one another of course, but one bullet hit the girl in back, severing her spinal cord, and another bullet hit my friend’s son in the back of the head, exiting through an eye socket. They both lived, the girl a paraplegic and the boy was paralyzed and with a huge loss of brain function. When I retired and moved away in 2010 my friend was in the process of having their house modified for disabled access as they hoped their son would soon be in a state where they could care for him at home.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:06 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

My minister worked with children living in a housing project in a city of one million people. In Friday and Saturday nights, it was common for them to hear as many as 125 sbots. The little kids had PTSD and were receiving therapy.

I returned home last night from Chicago. While I didn't go into the most dangerous parts of town, the mall next to my hotel had been excavated. There were more boarded businesses than businesses open. This suburb is dying. All the neighborhoods we hear of major gang and drug activities have already killed their communities. People.shouldn't be required to live in such dangerous places.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:18 AM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

---

Here is the map of the 2018 Homicide shooting locations, doesn't seem to be in One area to me, unless you call that area CHICAGO
Homicide Watch Chicago
Old 09-05-2018, 01:04 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

UK poster - don’t want to be controversial, but if you live somewhere where guns are very rare, there are very few shootings.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:09 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
UK poster - don’t want to be controversial, but if you live somewhere where guns are very rare, there are very few shootings.
US poster and I agree.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:09 PM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
UK poster - don’t want to be controversial...
Then why post that comment as it's sure to ignite a controversial discussion resulting in moderator intervention?
Old 09-05-2018, 01:13 PM   #39

Quote:
True but then stabbings would dramatically increases as in the UK.

"Shocking statistics show incidents of stabbing have risen by 22 per cent in a year, with children as young as 13 among the victims"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8326171.html
Old 09-05-2018, 02:13 PM   #40

Wow Ha! I certainly hope this is a very infrequent occurrence in your neighborhood.

Alan: It is those stories of your friends child and girlfriend that are some of the saddest.

I am glad I live in a small city of 8,500 + people but we have crime here as well. As some said, it is everywhere.
Closed Thread