Join Early Retirement Today
Practicing ER
Old 06-08-2007, 06:52 AM   #1
Practicing ER

I have today off from w*rk, and I am practicing being retired. I can't really retire for two to three more years, but I can dream!

I got up early, with no alarm, made coffee, did a load of laundry, and watched the sun come up. As soon as there was a little light filtering through the trees, I did some (quiet) yardwork in the back yard. Now, I have been up for almost three hours of peace and quiet.

Then I turned on the TV and saw all the people stuck in traffic on the morning traffic report.

In another hour, it will be late enough that I can get out the power tools. Then maybe Frank and I might go out to lunch, and I could take a nap and then hit the gym. I want to do a couple of sudoku tonight (just got hooked and not too bored with them yet).

I think I'm going to take to this like a duck to water.

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2007, 07:32 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Khan
It's definitely habit forming.

"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:39 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Practicing ER is the best way to answer the questions "Am I ready to ER?" and "But what will I DO all day?!?"

Ya know, in three years of reading this type of thread I can't recall a single poster ever saying "Thank goodness I'm going back to work tomorrow"...

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Oh, just gets better by the day!
Old 06-08-2007, 11:47 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Oh, just gets better by the day!

I find a perverse pleasure in turning on the morning news and hearing about the traffic tie-ups on my former commuting route! In my last j*b, I lived nearly 50 miles from my office and my commute was a minimum of 1 hour each way. And, I had responsibilities for two satellite offices as well -- one 85 miles away and the other 60 miles from the mother ship. No wonder I was putting 4,000 to 6,000 miles a month on my car!

Since RE in December, I've added less than 2,000 miles on my vehicle -- all of them driven on surface roads and not one involving a traffic jam (except for the time I had to stop to let a momma duck and her seven ducklings cross the road to a pond.)

Life IS good.
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:14 PM   #5
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I got up early.
obviously you need more practice.

i got up at about noon. practice makes perfect.
"off with their heads"~~dr. joseph-ignace guillotin

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:24 PM   #6
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
obviously you need more practice.

i got up at about noon. practice makes perfect.
After three weeks of ER I have settled into getting up around 8 and then slowly moving around to consume coffee and breakfast. We rarely get out of the house (if at all) until noon. Yard work is done on the weekends like before but now only because I don't want to drive anywhere on Saturday.

We have been in a RV park a few miles from Zion National Park since Tuesday. We were going to leave on Saturday but extended to Sunday just because they were going to have a Hawaiian party on Saturday night. We have our Hawaiian clothes and are ready to go. The yard can wait until Monday.

LIfe is good!
Work? I don't have time to work....I'm retired.
SteveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:27 PM   #7
I've been out of work for 3 weeks on medical leave, I don't think I'll be going back for another week, it's going to be difficult going back.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote