Join Early Retirement Today

Pre retirement jitters.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:51 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Pre retirement jitters.

Did anyone experience them??
So I'm officially retired in two weeks. On one hand I'm super excited. I hate my present job, don't see that changing with mega corp. I've been offered a "go away" package (6 months salary and 6 months health care). On the other hand I've anxious.... What if I'm bored, what if I'm hit by a meteor and need super expensive health care, ...

Anyone else experience this before taking the plunge?
financially I'm fine, I've run a number of different financial calculators, got healthcare cost taken care of until medicare (I'm currently 55) and have a plan for what I want to do after I retire.

Nervous nelly
bclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2016, 06:56 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had some misgivings, but nothing serious. It may not be universal, but it's perfectly normal for many/most, you're taking a big (irreversible) step. Many of us felt the same as you before our last day at work.

Some people don't experience boredom in retirement, some do. But if you find yourself bored, it's curable with a little work. The Get-A-Life tree exercise in Zelinskis books might help, I did it before I retired and it was very reassuring. YMMV

You'll be fine...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:23 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Based on what I read repeatedly here about folks nearing the big date, I think it is probably typical and will pass once you discover how nice it is to cross the finish line.

That said, I can only relate to your excitement, not to your nervousness. I was so darned ready to gain my freedom I couldn't wait!
Old 03-16-2016, 07:28 AM   #4

I was nervous in that short window between when I gave notice and my last day. I'd run every calculator and worried I was missing something. Plus I had people asking me, every day, "how can you afford to retire so young? It's impossible!". That added to my doubt.

I had a bit of nervousness about the finances for the first few months of retirement.... but that went away because I was too busy to think about it....

You'll be fine! Congrats on your upcoming retirement!!!!
Old 03-16-2016, 07:30 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I agree with those replies thus far. Even if you have yourself ready financially (sounds like you do), it's still an unknown. Like your first day in a new school, maybe even in a new town. You'll settle in at your own pace.

There's talk about people asking you, "but what will you DO all day?". The response to that I use (to still-working friends, and in a friendly way) is to ask, "what do YOU do all day?". Almost always they smile and say, "oh, I see".

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I was nervous in that short window between when I gave notice and my last day. I'd run every calculator and worried I was missing something. Plus I had people asking me, every day, "how can you afford to retire so young? It's impossible!". That added to my doubt.

I had a bit of nervousness about the finances for the first few months of retirement.... but that went away because I was too busy to think about it....

You'll be fine! Congrats on your upcoming retirement!!!!
I've gotten that and "what are you going to do all day without work" question every single day.
bclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:50 AM   #7

I am feeling it now. If I was 45, not 56, I would even be more worried.

I am taking the plunge, even if I see a few sharks. Life is short.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I am feeling it now. If I was 45, not 56, I would even be more worried.

I am taking the plunge, even if I see a few sharks. Life is short.

I agree! My FIRE date is April 8 - the sensation is bit odd, but very exciting!
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:57 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

As long as you have enough money, it will all work out. Worst case, go back to work, maybe in a different field for less money but more fun.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:58 AM   #10

Your feelings are quite normal. Once you get to the finish line it will change to "why did I wait so long"?

Plus, if for some unforeseen reason you don't like retirement, you can always go back to w*rk.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:00 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I didn't have any jitters - probably because I eased into retirement. I worked 1-2 days a week my last year of work, so full retirement wasn't much of a change. I had plenty of hobbies in place to keep me busy, and I retired in early April when I also had plenty of home and yard work to tackle.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:01 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

You'll be fine. If you are confident in your financial planning for retirement, then you will get a chance to prove that it works in the real world. What a victorious feeling, to develop a plan from scratch, see it put into action and watch it WORK!

Often people just wish they were retiring too, and the kneejerk response for them is to ask those questions.

Even though I was 61 when I retired, I *still* got the "How can you afford to retire? It's impossible!" question that you younger retirees got. So I'd ask them if they max out the TSP every year like I had been doing every single year, and they'd always say no, they didn't have the money to do that. Instead, they were accumulating consumer debt and had payments on that. It's just priorities and my first priority was to retire; theirs wasn't and I guess they were hoping that Santa Claus was going to come along and give them a nice retirement without having to save for it.

As for "What will you do all day?", I thought a pretty good answer was to say, "The same things I do now on Saturdays."

I did not prepare psychologically for retirement at all, and that concerned me. But it turned out that everything worked out just fine. I felt a little lost for a few hours on the day I retired and maybe the next day a little since I didn't exactly know what to do with all that freedom (so I went clothes shopping! ). After that I was ecstatic with retirement and remain so to this day. I am hoping your experience is the same, but if not, I have heard that the Zelinski book that Midpack referred to is pretty terrific. Here's a link to it.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Retire-Hap...words=Zelinski

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:15 AM   #13

Sure, I would think just about everyone has some trepidation. But I remember what an old flight instructor told me. No decision is irreversible. I think this holds true for retirement also. If you read this forum long enough you will find people that retired and it worked exactly like they thought it would, some that changed their minds and took up new hobbies, and some, a minority, that went back to work. The retirement choice is not life or death. For us it was life and more life!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:21 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I was very nervous that I didn't have enough to retire. My sister had retired a few years before me and was wonderful about reassuring me I could do it !
Dancer373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:29 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Your jitters are very normal. Humans are creatures of habit and change is unsettling. Things will be fine.

Many people who know me thought that I would go crazy not working.... I wasn't sure... I took the plunge and have been pleasantly surprised how happy that I can be puttering around and not doing much of anything.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:05 AM   #16

It's useful to remember that retirement is a life event, like many others individuals go through throughout their lives. These include education, marriage, kids, possible divorce, financial problems, etc. You've made it to 55, so it's highly doubtful you won't successfully navigate this new transition.

For me, retirement was like that Munchinkland scene in the Wizard of Oz where Dorothy walked from black and white into color. I can't conceive of how I put up with working and all the nonsense that goes along with it.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Worst case, go back to work, maybe in a different field for less money but more fun.
No, the worst case is that he gets hit by that murderous bus and dies on the way home on his last day of work.

bclover, this is all normal. It's a big change, usually irreversible, and there is bound to be some anxiety over it. After a while you start to wonder how you had time to work.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:33 AM   #18

Going through this excellent "checklist" (of sorts) may help you feel more prepared as well:

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/vie...rt=50#p2786486
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:43 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

"For me, retirement was like that Munchinkland scene in the Wizard of Oz where Dorothy walked from black and white into color. I can't conceive of how I put up with working and all the nonsense that goes along with it."

I LIKE this!!!! Expresses PERFECTLY how I felt/feel today after three years retired...

I'm gonna use this next time someone asks me what it's like to be retired.......
Lcountz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:00 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcountz View Post
"For me, retirement was like that Munchinkland scene in the Wizard of Oz where Dorothy walked from black and white into color. I can't conceive of how I put up with working and all the nonsense that goes along with it."

I LIKE this!!!! Expresses PERFECTLY how I felt/feel today after three years retired...

I'm gonna use this next time someone asks me what it's like to be retired.......
The witch had told herself, "I'll just work 'one more year' to be sure that I have enough/won't get bored...."
Davis65 is offline   Reply With Quote