Join Early Retirement Today

Priceless!
Old 05-23-2007, 03:07 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Priceless!

Bus ride to the central hospital's women clinic - .80 cents

Cost of all maternity related care - $0

Seeing your first baby's heartbeat on the ultrasound monitor - PRICELESS!

Yep, I'm gonna be a daddy!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2007, 07:00 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations

Old 05-23-2007, 08:14 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congrats! Now dont expect future expenses to be in the 80c range
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:38 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations Trek, I guess no-one will be asking what you do all day once your bambino is on the scene.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:48 AM   #5

Trek, congratulations!

Coach
Old 05-23-2007, 10:19 AM   #6

Congratulations Trek! IMHO, there is nothing like having a baby! Life will change and it will be in a good way
Old 05-23-2007, 01:55 PM   #7

Congratulations.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:22 PM   #8

Trek, Congratulations! What exciting news - I'm so happy for you!
Old 05-23-2007, 02:26 PM   #9

Thanks for all the congrats and kind words everyone. We're really happy and excited.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:10 PM   #10

Congratulations Trek.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:31 PM   #11

Congrats on Trek Jr.!!
Old 05-24-2007, 12:04 PM   #12

ooooh. another expense. good for you. (enjoy!)

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
someone didn't waste any time huh?!
Old 05-24-2007, 10:45 PM   #13

someone didn't waste any time huh?!

now we know how you have been keepin warm in estonia?!

CONGRATS! how exciting!

get your sleep now while you can!
Old 05-24-2007, 11:59 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations.

From here on out your first job is to take care of the Mom. When you are parents take care of each other so that you can both take care of the babe.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:09 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

How exciting! Best wishes to you & the Mama-to-be.

Every step of the journey is the journey.
Bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 11:46 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Trek,
Congratulations! So, how do things go in Estonia: "Natural childbirth" with breathing exercises and husband-as-coach, or Dad waits in another room while the pros handle things with Mom?

One note: Once your wife begins to "show," every other woman who has had a baby will want to stop and tell her about her own harrowing experience. Total strangers will stop her in the market and want to scare her to death with stories of her 30 hour labor, etc. These people are idiots, and you should feel entirely justified in abruptly telling them to shut up. I mean, it should be fairly obvious from looking at your wife that she's pretty well committed to a course of action, so maybe some kind words of encouragement would be a little more appropriate. Besides, every living human is proof that the system has worked.

It is a great experience and keeps getting better as they get older--until they become teenagers.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:06 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Some of us who have been there, done that, would like to talk to the structural engineer. The best part is after it is over.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:50 AM   #18

Thanks for all the congrats and comments. We're really looking forward to this

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
ooooh. another expense. good for you. (enjoy!)
Actually, since we live in Estonia, the expenses are quite limited. Estonia literally PAYS you to have children to encourage the population growth. And like other European countries, they see the importance of children and parents being able to spend a maximum amount of time together with keeping stress levels to a minimum. So my fiancée will be able to stop working 3 months prior to the expected delivery date and then once the baby is actually born we will get a very generous childbirth payment from both the state and local government. Then my fiancée will receive 100% of her current wage for the next 15 months and her employer must keep her job for her when/if she returns. We will also receive a monthly family benefit payment until the child is 16 years old. And of course there are no medical bills to pay due to the national health care system and dental (including orthodontics) are free until the age of 19. So no paying for those braces if needed. So basically the family benefit payments will pay for all the things that would otherwise eat into my budget (like baby food, wipes, diapers, etc).

Quote:
Brat says:

Congratulations.

From here on out your first job is to take care of the Mom. When you are parents take care of each other so that you can both take care of the babe.
Thanks Brat, you bet. Keeping mom and baby healthy and happy is job #1. We're quite fortunate that we will both be able to stay home with the baby and share all the tasks without having things like w*rk to interfere.

Quote:
samclem says:

Trek,
Congratulations! So, how do things go in Estonia: "Natural childbirth" with breathing exercises and husband-as-coach, or Dad waits in another room while the pros handle things with Mom?
It's whatever we choose. They are more than happy to have dad there coaching mom during the delivery. They really encourage the fathers participation. Of course, if it's not your thing, you can opt to sit out, but I personally want to be there for every bit of it.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:59 AM   #19

Actually, since we live in Estonia, the expenses are quite limited. Estonia literally PAYS you to have children to encourage the population growth. And like other European countries, they see the importance of children and parents being able to spend a maximum amount of time together with keeping stress levels to a minimum. So my fiancée will be able to stop working 3 months prior to the expected delivery date and then once the baby is actually born we will get a very generous childbirth payment from both the state and local government. Then my fiancée will receive 100% of her current wage for the next 15 months and her employer must keep her job for her when/if she returns. We will also receive a monthly family benefit payment until the child is 16 years old. And of course there are no medical bills to pay due to the national health care system and dental (including orthodontics) are free until the age of 19. So no paying for those braces if needed. So basically the family benefit payments will pay for all the things that would otherwise eat into my budget (like baby food, wipes, diapers, etc).

So we cannot do this in america??

Ok how about some kind of national coverage??

Nah those insurance companies.......
Old 05-28-2007, 07:41 AM   #20

Ya know, I have to say that the Tallinn Central Hospital is the cleanest medical facility I've ever been in. Makes the ones back in central Florida look really bad.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote