Join Early Retirement Today

Primary residence
Old 06-23-2005, 09:41 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Primary residence

Anyone ever get quizzed by uncle Sam about a past (overseas) primary-residence and have to produce receipts?
Would welcome suggestions for IRS record keeping to aid proof of primary residence plus use of clauses.
Much of their paperwork list below doesn't apply, i.e. don't drive/vote/pray, and usually pay online & bank online, so there's not much of a paperwork trail to rely on :-

1. Your place of employment.
2. The location of your family members main home.
3. Your mailing address for bills and correspondence.
4. The address listed on your:
a. Federal and state tax returns,
b. Driver s license,
c. Car registration, and
d. Voter registration card.
5. The location of the banks you use.
6. The location of recreational clubs and religious organizations you
are a member of.
1.Convert Euro assets to US$ now or not?<br />2.Tax haven work, anyone ventured?<br />3.ER income from Real-Estate or Equities?<br />4.ER to Canada or US?<br />5.Lifesavings secure in Funds after Worldcon/Enrot/Equitable Life?<br />6.House price correction risk as rates go up?<br />7.Prop arbitrage i.e. CA &gt; 20% IL&lt;8%?
ER@40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Primary residence
Old 06-24-2005, 01:33 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

An important document would be a declaration from your embassy in the respective country. Since you probably registred there they should still be able to make it. Most embassies makes the declaration for a fee. Reminds me to get one here now. Cheers!
preben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 11:23 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben
An important document would be a declaration from your embassy in the respective country. Since you probably registred there they should still be able to make it. Most embassies makes the declaration for a fee. Reminds me to get one here now. Cheers!
Interesting . .
However how would you envisage the letter(s) being worded to completely cover a ‘term of residence’ i.e. two years? Embassies may not always monitor the exact in and out dates of residents . . ? It also doesn’t guarantee that one lived at the aforementioned primary residence address being claimed, only the country . . . Any thoughts?
1.Convert Euro assets to US$ now or not?<br />2.Tax haven work, anyone ventured?<br />3.ER income from Real-Estate or Equities?<br />4.ER to Canada or US?<br />5.Lifesavings secure in Funds after Worldcon/Enrot/Equitable Life?<br />6.House price correction risk as rates go up?<br />7.Prop arbitrage i.e. CA &gt; 20% IL&lt;8%?
Old 06-25-2005, 02:29 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I am not sure I can envision the wording but the standard certificat I have seen for my country only stated that you have been registred at the embassy as a resident in this and this period with the specific address.
It will certainly not be 100% "proof" but it does add some credibility to a stack of old rental bills and your membership card to Atomic a-go-go Boy Bar in Bangkok.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:21 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Passport stamps?
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 02:26 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Passport stamps are fine too. The problem with that (same as with my certificate) is that what the tax authorities really want is proof of where your "life center" is - I.e. you could live abroad most of the year but if your "life center" is still USA (or whatever country) you are still fully taxable to that country.

How they decide on where your "life center" is, is then the great mystery...
Old 06-28-2005, 04:52 PM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben
Passport stamps are fine too. The problem with that (same as with my certificate) is that what the tax authorities really want is proof of where your "life center" is - I.e. you could live abroad most of the year but if your "life center" is still USA (or whatever country) you are still fully taxable to that country.

How they decide on where your "life center" is, is then the great mystery...
Could you explain this ben? I always thought it was quite straightforward to determine whether or not you are a resident of a particular country. For example, in the US they use the Substantial Presence Test ( 183 days during the 3-year period that includes the current calendar year and the 2 preceding calendar years... ).
LiveWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:47 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I am naturally not an expert on the USA rules but there have been several cases in Europe where the 183 day rule was overruled based on other paragraphs in the IRS(or whatever tax authority) rules. Things like; owning a house in original home country, doing business in home country, having a wife/girl friend/kids in home country Etc. have all been used to over rule the 183 day rule. For USA I am sure that a google search as well as a visit to the IRS homepage will show the same.

In reality the IRS hates anybody getting out of the tax-net and will go to extremes to "catch" people with their pants down....

Just look at the list ER@40 need to prove himself - if passport stamps were enuff (less than 183 days) then why does that list exist...?

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveWell
Could you explain this ben?* I always thought it was quite straightforward to determine whether or not you are a resident of a particular country.* For example, in the US they use the Substantial Presence Test ( 183 days during the 3-year period that includes the current calendar year and the 2 preceding calendar years... ).
Old 06-28-2005, 11:15 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveWell
I always thought it was quite straightforward to determine whether or not you are a resident of a particular country.* For example, in the US they use the Substantial Presence Test ( 183 days during the 3-year period that includes the current calendar year and the 2 preceding calendar years... )
Surprisingly, prior to 911 the US authorities did not have any single tracking system to prove residency, particularly with regards to outbound dates - out of the US.

It was up to the resident to keep good and accurate records. Now though, airline passenger data is archived, and the INS(UCSIS) & IRS probably have direct or indirect access.

However the IRS generally still relies on the tax payer to come up with proof through good record keeping. Its the same in Europe. Its also widely known, that millionaire Executives with private jets, are able to sieve though many of the nets supposed to track movements.