Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Complicating the decision is the fact that he might or might not be moving shortly and his plans are pretty fluid.
Do you mean down his block, or to a completely different neighborhood or even city? Does Frank rent?

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2014, 01:37 PM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Do you mean down his block, or to a completely different neighborhood or even city? Does Frank rent?

Ha
He owns his home, and he hasn't decided, which makes this entire process impossibly perplexing for me at the moment. First he'll say probably here, then he'll say probably Springfield, then he'll say that if I move near to him he'll stay in his house here forever, then he'll say that New Orleans is on a downwards spiral and we need to get out. All of this contradictory input is why I probably seem indecisive - - I just don't have sufficient information at the moment upon which to base any decision. I'll just have to be patient for a while.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:48 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
He owns his home, and he hasn't decided, which makes this entire process impossibly perplexing for me at the moment. First he'll say probably here, then he'll say probably Springfield, then he'll say that if I move near to him he'll stay in his house here forever, then he'll say that New Orleans is on a downwards spiral and we need to get out. All of this contradictory input is why I probably seem indecisive - - I just don't have sufficient information at the moment upon which to base any decision. I'll just have to be patient for a while.
I understand. You aren't indecisive, he is.

I live about 3 miles from my GF, mostly ok to good neighborhoods between us so I feel ok walking. There is bus service, but it is not a busy route. She works, so I usually see her only on weekends. If /when she would retire, it would be nice to go out for a good coffee. Her neighborhood has a nice Starbucks with fireplace and outdoor seating, but compared to the small coffee houses in my neighborhood the coffee stinks. 3 miles is too far to just get together say for coffee if we only have an hour or so, likely 1/2 mile or less would be better for that. Not going to happen though, and perhaps for the best.

Ha
Old 06-11-2014, 04:03 PM   #24

So much varies with location that it's almost impossible to say what's the best without studying the costs in a specific location.

I moved out of my first apartment because the rent was rising faster than my income. No future in that! And it was because of the high rental costs (no rent control there) that I was in such a hurry to buy a house. That locked in the bulk of my housing costs and worked out wonderfully.

For me, in that location.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:25 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
That eliminates (owning) virtually all condos then. Plus those detached houses located in housing associations that dictate what you can do with your home. And a detached house does not necessarily insulate you from an obnoxious, noisy neighbor.
If you can buy a house with an empty lot on both sides and then buy the lots you can have a lot of quiet. Of course in addition move to the country and you avoid a lot of sirens relative to living in the city.